BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 13, 2016 10:53 pm  #1

new fan and fascinated

I am a new fan.  I first watched the show in 2012 on Netflix with my son, but because of the length of the episodes I did not get past Season One.  Now that my son is in college and I am slightly less busy, my husband and I have watched all three seasons, and I've been going back and re-watching favorite bits.  I cannot wait for Season Four.  I read a lot of the original Arthur Conan Doyle canon long ago and need to go back to it, but have other books in hand right now.

I enjoy sharing ideas and theories here.  I tend to take the writing at face value; thus, I do not believe John and Sherlock are or ever will be a couple.  John repeatedly makes it explicitly clear that he is not gay.  He doesn't seem to be insulted by the idea or nervous about it; he's just not gay.  I have no idea what Sherlock's sexual orientation might be, but I don't think he has ever had such a relationship or is likely to have one soon.  Heck, John is his first real friend, and he still screws that up semi-regularly.  Give him time.

With Mary, again, I take the writing at face value.  She is a complex character, certainly, but I don't think she's a villain at all, and I will be most disappointed if they make her one.  I am hoping that the three of them will be working together from now on, with John and Mary both involved in cases and both involved in child care.  Just hoping the baby doesn't spend most of its life being kidnapped!

October 14, 2016 6:29 am  #2

Re: new fan and fascinated

Welcome, cmb711!  I came to it late too: I didn't even start watching S1 until 2014.  It's great that we have this forum to share our ideas on, especially with S4 now so close!

October 14, 2016 7:17 am  #3

Welcome, cmbb711, I hope you will have lots of fun. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

October 14, 2016 12:16 pm  #4

Welcome to the forum! :-)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

Board footera