BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 26, 2016 6:23 am  #41

Re: Episode titles (spoilers)

I have adjusted the thread title. Would be a bit awkward to work with spoiler tags in this thread, wouldn't it? 

Last edited by SusiGo (September 26, 2016 6:23 am)

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

September 26, 2016 6:26 am  #42

Thank goodness, it was getting a tad comical!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

September 26, 2016 6:40 am  #43

Thanks, I've removed my spoiler tags!

September 26, 2016 6:47 am  #44

I think "The Lying Detective" is a very clever title because it can have various meanings:

- Sherlock telling or having told untruths
- Sherlock lying in hospital/in a coma etc.
- Someone else telling untruths or lying somewhere
- or all of them

Because with TSoT they covered the allusion Sherlock/John/Mary, John/Mary/baby, and gave a foreshadowing to the AGRA story as well. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

September 26, 2016 7:02 am  #45

This Is The Phantom Lady wrote:

Or maybe they just haven't decided on the title yet? 

I´m sure the title of the third episode would be The Valley of Queer.

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

September 26, 2016 7:56 am  #46

People pointed out that the case of "Six Thatchers" was already mentioned on John´s blog and it took place before ASIB.

Now I´m puzzled - are the authors retconning John´s blog now?

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

September 26, 2016 7:59 am  #47

No idea, but it is a love triangle with two gay men and a woman. And a murder. 

September 26, 2016 8:18 am  #48

SusiGo wrote:

No idea, but it is a love triangle with two gay men and a woman. And a murder. 

Interesting.

Hmm, fans really did discover some rewriting of the blog:

http://hudders-and-hiddles.tumblr.com/post/150930938744/not-setlock-related-so-im-asking-you-here-when

What does that mean concerning the claim of the authors that they planned the whole show beforehand?
If they meant to use "Six Thatchers" as the case one day, they probably wouldn´t put in on the blog at the same time... I´m a bit worried.

September 26, 2016 8:27 am  #49

This is indeed strange. I never knew they reworked the blog. But I still do not understand why the videos were deactivated. Imagine people watching TAB and never having seen Jim creep around the flat … and the wedding video as well. 

We know of course that blog and show sometimes contradict each other. Just think of the wedding dates. 

September 26, 2016 8:30 am  #50

Videos were deactivated too?
That´s more and more puzzling... although there were many contradictions between the blog and the show, that´s true.

September 26, 2016 8:32 am  #51

It looks as if it took place during ASIB, rather than before.  And there have been all those hints of them going back.   John actually does a lot of the work for this case, including impersonnating a curator, staking out a house, etc.  And at the end Sherlock says he would have got it away with it.  I wonder what he's getting at.   Would he have hidden the murder weapon in a different way?  Would he have got hold of the Thatchers before they were distributed, perhaps after marking the one with the knife in some way?   Would he even, simplest of all, not have broken in to steal them, and so not aroused suspicion?  I haven't read the ACD story yet, so I'll do that later and see if there's anything there! 

Even TAB kept referring back to TRF, and I do wonder - we talked about Sherrinford being the evil twin, and also the fact that both Moriarty and Sherlock used a Sherlock lookalike in TRF (to scare the children, and for a body).  If that's Sherrinford, then surely he's definitely, definitely dead, but if we're doing flashbacks .... anyway, that would have to be Ep3, for which we don't yet have a title. 

September 26, 2016 8:39 am  #52

nakahara wrote:

Videos were deactivated too?
That´s more and more puzzling... although there were many contradictions between the blog and the show, that´s true.

As far as I know, all the videos have been deactivated. But this was about two years ago, not too long after S3 aired. No idea as to the reasons behind this. I think you will find them somewhere if you google them because it is really a shame. The Moriarty video even had Hamlet allusions. 

September 26, 2016 8:50 am  #53

They were all available on youtube, as far as I know...

September 26, 2016 9:15 am  #54

Well, I read the story, and loved this part near the end:

“Well,” said Lestrade, “I’ve seen you handle a good many cases, Mr. Holmes, but I don’t know that I ever knew a more workmanlike one than that. We’re not jealous of you at Scotland Yard. No, sir, we are very proud of you, and if you come down to-morrow there’s not a man, from the oldest inspector to the youngest constable, who wouldn’t be glad to shake you by the hand.”
“Thank you!” said Holmes. “Thank you!” and as he turned away it seemed to me that he was more nearly moved by the softer human emotions than I had ever seen him.

Anyway, one thing that was interesting was that Holmes uses the press to his advantage in this story, to deflect attention from his investigation.  The press comes up in TRF (when Holmes uses it), and in HLV (when Magnussen controls and uses the it, and I suppose at the end when Moriarty "returns"), but this rather modern aspect was left out of The Six Thatchers.   At the beginning of the ACD story they are debating whether the crimes could have been caused by somebody who just really, really hated Napoleon, and I thought it was amusing that Thatcher is the modern day equivalent of an admired but hated figure!

I suppose the other big difference was that the busts were used to hide treasure rather than evidence. 

Last edited by Liberty (September 26, 2016 1:00 pm)

September 26, 2016 11:57 am  #55

I would just like to comment that Tumblr is having too much fun thinking of titles for the 3rd episode and I'm enjoying the hell out of it.  

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

September 26, 2016 12:14 pm  #56

nakahara wrote:

This Is The Phantom Lady wrote:

Or maybe they just haven't decided on the title yet? 

I´m sure the title of the third episode would be The Valley of Queer.

I like this one a lot

-----
"The posh boy loves the dominatrix." Context matters.

September 26, 2016 12:38 pm  #57

Hmm that's very odd about the blog actually. It does make me wonder!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

September 26, 2016 8:48 pm  #58

Another theory of the third episode title:

September 27, 2016 7:10 am  #59

I don't think giving away a story title (like Garridebs) would be that much of a spoiler.   They change the stories so much, or use the titles in their own ways.   I don't see that the title of "His Last Vow" gives away much at all about the plot, for instance. 

I imagine it will be revealed closer to the time - it has to be!  No point in revealing the title as it airs.   And even something like "The Return of Moriarty" or "The Death of Mycroft" (not that that's the sort of title they use) wouldn't give away much about what's actually going to happen.

What's interesting is that we don't have a villain for Ep3.  I believe Lars' involvment was publicised before S3 (correct me if I'm wrong.  I hadn't started watching then!), and Toby has been publicised in a similar way, but it seems that he's only Ep2?  So we don't know if we're getting a new villain ... or somebody with whom we're already acquainted!

Last edited by Liberty (September 27, 2016 7:21 am)

September 27, 2016 12:01 pm  #60

What is you theory, Liberty, why are they hiding the title of the third episode then?

Board footera