BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 18, 2016 3:52 pm  #1

To be disguised or not to be disguised, that is the question.

Greetings all! πŸ™‹
While watching "Sherlock Holmes and the secret weapon," I noticed that  Basil Rathbone disguised himself three times in order to gather information and to draw out suspects.
Apart from painting in a moustache before revealing his return to John, Our Sherlock's never used disguises, has he?
Is not using disguises truer to Cannon?  Or is Basil Rathbone's portrayal closer to the original stories?

Last edited by Harobed (September 18, 2016 4:18 pm)

"He's cluing for looks" ~ fave quote to date!
Cracks me up always!

September 18, 2016 3:56 pm  #2

Re: To be disguised or not to be disguised, that is the question.

He was disguised as a preacher in Scandal.

September 18, 2016 4:12 pm  #3

And while he was not that disguised, he posed as a photographer in TGG...Β 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url]Β I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

September 18, 2016 4:29 pm  #4

He was disguised as a security guard at the art museum in the series as well. Disguise is part of the original stories, so it's not against Canon for him to use disguises in an adaptation.

Clueing for looks.

September 18, 2016 4:42 pm  #5

I think Benedict once said that instead for going for false beards and noses as in Canon, they chose to have him hide in plain sight as in the above examples. He puts on a part, cries false tears etc, instead of putting on a disguise and make-up.Β 
Β 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it isΒ says love." (Erich Fried)

β€œEnjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

Β 

September 18, 2016 4:52 pm  #6

I liked Sherlock's answer too!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

September 18, 2016 5:52 pm  #7

He also disguises as a waiter. But, yes, they go for the "hidden in plain sight" version in BBC Sherlock, which I think is quite cool.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!
Β 

September 20, 2016 6:56 am  #8

Gosh folks, is there a link for The Extremely Embarrassed to find solace? 😩
And I call myself a Sherlockian.  I should turn in my badge!  Hand over my membership card, oh the shame makes me all aflush & aflutter! *(dramatically bows head). 😳

*Recovering now, slightly: Thank you!  I just want to say Thanks to each & everyone for their educational input!  Brilliant, all! πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘  Now to save face just a little bit, I'll just say well, at least I knew where to go for help & accurate answers! πŸ‘Œ
You guys ARE the bee's knees! πŸ’ͺπŸ‘ˆ
🐝🐝🐝

Cracks me up always!

September 20, 2016 4:22 pm  #9

No need to be embarrassed or ashamed!

Clueing for looks.

September 20, 2016 5:14 pm  #10

It's all fine.Β 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it isΒ says love." (Erich Fried)

β€œEnjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

Β 

September 21, 2016 5:46 am  #11

πŸ‘‹ Hey, Yitzock, πŸ‘‹ hey SusiGo, you two really know how to pick a body up, dust off & shake off the red-face and come back 'round to a semblance of normalcy! πŸ‘

Thanks...thanks even for taking the time to relay such kind responses. πŸ‘Ό So.

Onward & upward we go!  Tally ho, pip pip & all that rubbish, wot?! πŸ‘Œ

(Lol...pushing it a bit eh?)
(Just hope folks are laughing)
Am enjoying our comradery! πŸ’ƒ
Hope your days & nights go smoothly & are free of pain...in peace & safety I hope you remain!
Ta! πŸ™‹

Cracks me up always!

September 21, 2016 11:46 am  #12

Lautrela, got your hug & feel even better about casting my lot with you lot! πŸ˜‰

We Sherlockians are a unique bunch...smart...funny & generous to a fault!

Say...has "Sir" ever paid us a visit or ever commented about this site?
I for one am happy that I have found you & can only hope that accolades will be properly raised for this great bunch of fans of The Brilliance which are the writings, interpretations & expressions of Sir Arthur Ignatius Conan Doyle KStJ, DL's Sherlock Holmes! πŸ”Ž

Last edited by Harobed (September 21, 2016 12:00 pm)

Cracks me up always!

Board footera