BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 2, 2012 6:49 pm  #1

Sir Arthur Canon Doyle's first novel published

The previously unpublished novel 'The Narrative of John Smith' which ACD wrote in his twenties was published for the first time by The British Library in Septemebr last year. At the same time it also released an audiobook of the novel read by the actor Robert Lyndsay ( a favourite of mine). It was never published originally because it was lost in the post on the way to the publishers and was later reconstructed from memory. It was published with the consent of the Conan Doyle Estate.

Having checked copies a available from The British Library, Amazon.co.uk and Amazon.com. I'm not sure about other  countries.

Further information:

www.publishing.bl.uk/book/narrative-john-smith

www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-15054089

Apparently you can see forerunners of such works as Study in Scarlet within this novel.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

September 3, 2012 7:43 am  #2

Re: Sir Arthur Canon Doyle's first novel published

Rather more, including a review, can be found on the following site. This also gives some of the connections between this early novel and his later Sherlock Holmes work. E.g. An army officer with a 'limp from a Jezail bullet in the knee' a doctor as a sounding biard for the main character and a landlady who lives in the house. Also mentioned: 'little brain attics' etc. Has links to amazon etc.

www.bestofsherlock.com/ref/narrative-john-smith.htm

Last edited by Davina (September 3, 2012 7:46 am)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

September 6, 2012 7:11 pm  #3

Re: Sir Arthur Canon Doyle's first novel published

Cool. I plan to collect all of ACD's works eventually. I feel like I owe it to the guy, considering he was always so insistent that people read his other stuff as well as (or instead of) Sherlock Holmes!

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

Board footera