BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 12, 2016 2:27 pm  #1

Thoughts on the show as a whole (series 1/2/3/TAB)

I feel there is a need for topics regarding the show as a whole - all 10 episodes so far. It is for all sorts of subjects, narrative, character development, etc. 
I would like to open the thread with a very interesting analysis I just discovered. It discusses the use of POV within the show. It is generally agreed that series 1 and 2 are told from John's POV (as in the majority of Canon) and series 3 and TAB from Sherlock's POV. This essay here has good evidence for a different view:

http://fandeadgloves.tumblr.com/post/129819154309/nothing-more-deceptive

I would like to add a piece of evidence: the end of TRF. We get John in what we think is his most private moment, talking to Sherlock at the grave, begging him to come back. And then we realise that Sherlock has been there all the time, watching John. And in TEH we also learn that he has not just watched, but overheard John. So this is actually Sherlock’s POV as well. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

September 12, 2016 2:34 pm  #2

Re: Thoughts on the show as a whole (series 1/2/3/TAB)

This is something that can be argued several ways since POV is rarely if ever state explicitly in the show.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

September 12, 2016 3:08 pm  #3

Re: Thoughts on the show as a whole (series 1/2/3/TAB)

I think it's not always clearcut, and I do believe that we get mixed points of view.   For instance, the end of ASIB: the scene in Speedy's with Mycroft and John could have been deduced by Sherlock from the conversation John has with him straight afterwards.  But I don't feel the filming shows it that way.  We don't see that scene "in Sherlock's mind", for instance by flashing back to it as John is telling Sherlock about Irene's "witness protection".   So I think we're seeing John's point of view there, listening to Mycroft, believing the story, worrying about how to tell Sherlock.  Sherlock reminiscing with the phone afterwards, is clearly his point of view. 

I do think it's true that you can't divide the perspectives into S1 and S2 are from John's perspective and S3 is from Sherlock's.   There is quite a lot in S1/S2 which is clearly just Sherlock.  There is also some stuff that is clearly just John (I don't go with the explanation that Sherlock could deduce it as it doesn't sit well with me).   Then in S3, although a lot if just Sherlock, some is clearly John.   For instance, John meeting Janine at 221B: even though Sherlock is present for some of that (and could have deduced John's bamboozlement!), I feel we are seeing it more from John's perspective.  

Just about all (if not all) of TAB has to be from Sherlock's perspective, though.  When we see other people's perspectives, that's Sherlock creating and seeing them (for instance the "Watson" scene with Mary and Mycroft, John talking to his maid, John talking to Hooper, etc.).

Board footera