BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 10, 2012 2:24 am  #1

Amazing Grace

I rented Amazing Grace this weekend, and I have to say that it was, in fact, Amazing.

It was a really good movie, by its own virtue but not least because Benedict Cumberbatch was in it.

To be honest, once I had watched the movie I was surprised that he wasn't billed on the front of the DVD case. His part was probably the second or third largest after Wilbur and maybe his wife, and possibly Lord Fox. Of course, I checked the date and realized why—at that point he was completely unknown! If they ever do a reissue they'll probably want to bill him on the front, now that he's a fairly recognized actor.

Anyone else seen this? If not, I highly recommend it. Great film.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Initials SH and proud owner of a viola named Watson.

Potential flatmates should know the worst about each other.

It's a three patch problem.

I didn't know; I saw.

June 14, 2012 6:48 am  #2

Re: Amazing Grace

I just ordered the DVD and I am looking forward to seeing him wearing a wig  .

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

June 14, 2012 10:43 am  #3

I saw it a few years ago, before I'd ever heard of Benedict Cumberbatch.  I watched it because a) I like historical films and b) it's all about--well ostensibly about--the founding of Sierra Leone as a haven for slaves freed by Britain.  Sierra Leone is where I was a Peace Corps Volunteer so the movie resonated with me as it was really interesting to see a depiction of how the colony was founded.  I can't say as I remember Ben's performance, thought, so I have to watch the movie again.  Aww.   

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.  -- Helen Keller

July 12, 2012 4:26 pm  #4

I just watched this movie and liked it very much. It's a moving and fascinating story I didn't know anything about. It aptly jumps back and forth in time instead of choosing a strict chronological order which is fine with me. The costumes seem to be excellently researched (I think it was the same costume designer as on the RDJ Sherlock films) and the performances are very good. Even the minor characters are excellent, for example Michael Gambon as Sir Charles Fox.
SPOILERS:
Now to the reason that actually made me see the film *clearing throat*: Yes, Benedict is very good in this and once or twice I detected a hint of Sherlock in him. The wigs are not my cup of tea but he isn't wearing them all the time and apart from that they look very authentic. He plays William Pitt the Younger who became Prime Minister at the extremely early age of 24. He's quite an important character being the close friend of the protagonist William Wilberforce. Towards the end when he becomes ill they did something terrible to his face that makes him look somewhat puffy and red as if he's been crying all the time. I don't know what his illness was but he has a very moving deathbed scene  .
All in all a film that is worth watching, no matter if you like Ben or (which you of course do, else you wouldn't be reading this  .

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

July 12, 2012 5:53 pm  #5

William Pitt the Younger probably died of peptic ulcers.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

July 12, 2012 6:11 pm  #6

Thanks for the information. Didn't know you get red in the face from those. But it's a very good film and there is one short moment where he has a twinkle in his eye that is totally Sherlock  .

July 12, 2012 6:19 pm  #7

Recently I was standing in front of Wilberforce's memorial statue in Westminster Abbey, where he was buried, close to Pitt.
I found it very touching... (Yes, I had seen the film before.)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

July 12, 2012 6:25 pm  #8

SusiGo wrote:

Thanks for the information. Didn't know you get red in the face from those. But it's a very good film and there is one short moment where he has a twinkle in his eye that is totally Sherlock  .

Okay, put that moment on youtube and we don't have to buy the film!

JOKING!! 
Now that I finally managed to handle all available Rickman films I have to start all over again with BC.....
Poor me... *sigh*   

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

July 12, 2012 6:26 pm  #9

Oh, I must remember to go there on my next visit. I once stood in St. Paul's in front of the T.E. Lawrence bust, that was an impressive moment as well.

July 12, 2012 8:04 pm  #10

SusiGo wrote:

Oh, I must remember to go there on my next visit. I once stood in St. Paul's in front of the T.E. Lawrence bust, that was an impressive moment as well.

Oh T.E. Lawrence!  Another one of my personal heros.  "Seven Pillars of Wisdom". If I get to London next March I've got to go there.

And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

September 2, 2012 1:10 pm  #11

I've watched it yesterday on German TV and it's really an amazing movie.
My dad was just switching channels and suddenly there was BC's face on screen ^^
But his german voice was HORRIBLE in this movie, and there I was complaining about his Sherlock voice.
I think I'll buy the DVD soon, then I can enjoy this wonderful, moving movie from the beginning and of cours in English.

--------------------------------------------------
Crime in Progress. Please Disturb.

September 2, 2012 1:46 pm  #12

It's really a wonderful film, I was very impressed about this story I didn't know anything about. Watch it in English by all means, the thing with the German voices is really annoying. 

September 24, 2012 5:33 pm  #13

I have just managed to watch Amazing Grace in full on YouTube. I thought it was an excellent film. Here is the YouTube link for anyone who wants to watch it:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBjvQ7GN47l

I thought all the actors were fantastic in it. Rufus Sewell was extraordinary as was Benedict and Ioan Gruffudd. The scene of Wilber and Bill running the race and the death bed scene. Ah!  Albert Finney made me cry  and Michael Gambon was as brilliant as ever.

Last edited by Davina (October 14, 2012 11:39 am)

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

October 13, 2012 9:34 pm  #14

Amazing Grace is my favourite movie. I cried when Benedict's character died (for obvious reasons, when one watches the movie).

Last edited by horserider99 (June 7, 2013 1:57 am)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Geniuses are often obsessive, and their clarity of intellectual insight can be depressing and isolating: by nature geniuses march to a different drum." - Ron Bracey

October 14, 2012 1:27 pm  #15

A truly wonderful film. I didn't know anything about the story of Wilberforce and Pitt and was very moved. And, yes, the deathbed scene was very sad. Benedict is very good at such things. I'm sure he can be very funny, too, but he's so wonderful at showing such a variety of feelings. But all the actors very excellent.

October 14, 2012 1:42 pm  #16

I used to live near Hull and visited the Wilberforce museum.  Excellent.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

November 4, 2012 5:32 pm  #17

I loved this film and hadn't known much if anything about this time in history. Both Ben and Ioan were brilliant, as was Rufus Sewell and Albert Finney. Such strong, intelligent and brave men. The world is in dire need of great men like this today.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is a cash and carry world. You pay as you go. Sometimes it's a little. Mostly it's a lot. Sometimes it's all you have.

November 4, 2012 5:58 pm  #18

It's a wonderful story I knew nothing about. I was deeply impressed.

November 4, 2012 6:54 pm  #19

Didn't watch it, yet. But just found this:

A still from here: http://vimeo.com/37259988

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

February 9, 2013 11:38 pm  #20

Today I watched this wonderful film once again. There's a scene that made me smile. Some gentlemen are playing cards. One of them loses, can't pay and wants to write out an IOU. And Benedict (as William Pitt) says: No IOUs in this house. 

Board footera