BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 25, 2016 2:53 pm  #1

Ricoletti appeared in TRF

Do you remember Mr Ricoletti from season 2? At the beginning of TRF when Sherlock gets all popular by solving these cases, one of them is about a certain Mr Peter Ricoletti. Lestrade is all happy that the police has finally found him, he said he was in the top list from interpol since 1982.

I found nothing about this name's "coincidence" here in the forum. Has noone ever wondered? Ricoletti is certainly no common British name...

In his MP in TAB, is Sherlock merely digging this name up for the bride from this old case in TRF? Or is there more to this case of Mr "interpol" Ricoletti that Sherlock is trying to solve now in his mindpalace? Is this Ricoletti dude linked to Moriarty's "return"?

And is "Ricoletti" a name/case that appears in canon? I somehow think so but I don't know.

- - -

Breathing is boring!

English isn't my first language, feel free to correct me via PM!

August 25, 2016 3:00 pm  #2

Re: Ricoletti appeared in TRF

Great idea for a thread, I love these "coincidences". And, yes, the name is from Canon, it appears in "The Adventure of the Musgrave Ritual". Holmes is looking at old case files and remarks:

"Here's the record of the Tarleton murders and the case of Vamberry, the wine merchant, and the adventure of the old Russian woman, and the singular affair of the aluminium crutch, as well as a full account of Ricoletti of the club foot and his abominable wife."

We get the aluminium crutch in John's blog if I am not mistaken and Ricoletti and his abominable wife in TAB. But why do they mention the name before? I mean, there are enough names in Canon, you do not have to use them twice. So, ideas anyone?

P.S. I love the abominable wife/bride wordgame. Quite fitting. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

August 25, 2016 5:53 pm  #3

It could possibly be because Ricoletti was a throwaway name/character/case in canon and one that they thought they'd be unlikely to use in their story.   But when they came to write TAB, "the abominable wife" was just too good not to use.

August 25, 2016 6:15 pm  #4

I never realized that they used the name twice.

I always thought that Sherlock only solved the Ricoletti case in TRF to attract the press.

Why did he accept it in TAB?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

August 25, 2016 6:46 pm  #5

I had forgotten the name Ricoletti, so when it was mentioned in The Abominable Bride I had forgotten it was a name we had heard before.

I don't know whether it was overlooked or not that they had already used it.

Clueing for looks.

August 25, 2016 7:33 pm  #6

Ah yes, last time I watched it I had an 'a-ha!' moment hearing that. I just never got further to discussing it. Good catch! 

Maybe Sherlock was going through John's blog in TAB and came across that and it reminded him of the old case? 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

Board footera