BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 25, 2016 5:10 pm  #61

Re: The Extended Mind Palace/Dream Theory (contains spoilers)

Knowing they started it in ASIB makes me feel a lot better about it. It seems to be something carefully planned, not a cheap way out of the corner they wrote themselves into. :-)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

August 25, 2016 5:13 pm  #62

Yes, I agree. I see it as a slow progression to make these things more acceptable. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

August 25, 2016 5:14 pm  #63

Sorry, I've missed something...started in SIB...what and how?!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

August 25, 2016 5:15 pm  #64

Post #57

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

August 25, 2016 5:17 pm  #65

Oh wow, I never noticed that in the scene...
I really don't want to have watch SIB again!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

August 25, 2016 5:31 pm  #66

besleybean wrote:

Oh wow, I never noticed that in the scene...
I really don't want to have watch SIB again!

Life is hard. ;-)

But maybe somebody wrote a meta about it. That way, you would just have to read the meta instead of watching ASiP again. :-D

Last edited by Schmiezi (August 25, 2016 5:32 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

August 25, 2016 5:49 pm  #67

SusiGo wrote:

As for Magnussen: in TEH and HLV they made us believe that Magnussen had a physical archive, they even showed us the statues and dolls and all the other stuff in there. Then came the rug pull, for us as for Sherlock. I do not mind such tricks, quite the contrary, but this is why we should never say, no, they are not going to do this, people would feel betrayed. 

That was resolved all in one episode though, which is a lot easier to follow.  It doesn't feel like a betrayal, but a false lead, like the glasses. 

I do wonder, though, if we're seeing Magnussen's mind palace from his point of view at the beginning (Sherlock isn't even involved yet, in that scene), how could Sherlock imagine exactly the same mind palace, in the samre room in Appledore, in his own mind palace later?  If you know what I mean?  Maybe for the sake of the story - yes, I would accept that.  Perhaps at a stretch the beginning is actually Sherlock recalling what he's been told by Lady Smallwood - that's how he imagines Appledore and the vaults when she tells him, so later it's how he imagines the mind palace.    But still ... it's a little bit of an anomaly. 

August 25, 2016 6:25 pm  #68

Good point

August 26, 2016 4:50 am  #69

I think it was done for the sake of the false lead.

August 26, 2016 5:39 am  #70

False lead?

August 26, 2016 5:42 am  #71

besleybean wrote:

False lead?

It was done to make the audience believe Magnussen has got a real vault.

August 26, 2016 5:43 am  #72

Oh, see what you mean.

August 26, 2016 6:27 am  #73

But whose POV do we get in the bad,  bad girl scene?

August 26, 2016 6:28 am  #74

CAM's.

August 26, 2016 2:41 pm  #75

What do you all think about when the action starts being inside the mp exclusively? For me, if EMP is true, I am sure that Sherlock never woke up after being shot.

August 26, 2016 4:07 pm  #76

I don't see it that way.
I see it just as we are shown in HLV and I think we've managed to work out the MP scenes in TAB.

August 26, 2016 4:58 pm  #77

besleybean wrote:

I don't see it that way.
I see it just as we are shown in HLV and I think we've managed to work out the MP scenes in TAB.

This is a valid interpretation of the show.

This thread, however, is about the emp. You did read the links about it, didn't you? Within this theory, I'd like to know what other people think when the mp part starts.

August 26, 2016 5:10 pm  #78

Worryingly for me:
I feel I can only go with TEMP, if they really are going to end the series and Sherlock is in fact gonna die

August 26, 2016 5:16 pm  #79

besleybean wrote:

Worryingly for me:
I feel I can only go with TEMP, if they really are going to end the series and Sherlock is in fact gonna die

You don't have to go with EMP. It's all fine. :-)

August 26, 2016 5:20 pm  #80

Schmiezi wrote:

What do you all think about when the action starts being inside the mp exclusively? For me, if EMP is true, I am sure that Sherlock never woke up after being shot.

That would make a LOT of sense. 

Board footera