BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 12, 2016 9:55 pm  #1

The comprehensive Granada Johnlock guide (Johnlockers only)

I wanted to create a thread similar to the Johnlock one, but specific to the granada adaptation (to discuss ABOUT it but not IF it is there).

To start I want to share the masterpost of the love and sex innuendo that I just finished compiling (here, obviously there is a bit of nsfw text to describe the metaphors for sex).
Some of the metaphors are less obvious, but some are really blatant and stock metaphors (for examples the mouth fading into a tunnel with a train going inside it), to the extent that I think they are obviously intended, which gives a higher chance for the less obvious ones to be intended as well.

Also, if you think they are together, when do you think they got together?
I think they got together right after The Devil's Foot, here some reasons:
- because Holmes saying he has never loved to Watson at the end of that episode would mean he hasn't confessed his feelings yet.
- in that episode Holmes makes a big change to his life, giving up drugs, which are according to some interpretations (like the director of TPLOSH's) representative of his not being happy because of homosexuality, so the drugs might go away once Holmes and Watson get to be happy together.
- It is the episode in which he calls Watson "John".
- I don't think they are together from the start because in the first series they don't seems quite so close and even Sherlock says that they didn't know each other so well at the time of the Geek Interpreter.
- I don't think we ever see Watson's bed again after that episode (and even from some episodes before), so it might be one for two people.

August 15, 2016 12:38 pm  #2

Re: The comprehensive Granada Johnlock guide (Johnlockers only)

Granada "The Empty House" was so Johnlock-y (and has such a wicked dialogues) that I never doubted John and Sherlock are a pair after watching that episode. 

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

August 16, 2016 8:25 pm  #3

Sorry, I posted in the wrong thread. But the source is the Sherlock Uncovered Villains extra from the Blu-Ray, so it should be reliable. I posted it over there in the Johnlock guide. 

Last edited by SusiGo (August 16, 2016 8:27 pm)

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

August 19, 2016 7:50 pm  #4

Nice post about the Granada Empty House which shows how Johnlocky the episode really is:

http://iamjohnlocked4life.tumblr.com/post/148957199856/granada-brett-crumbs-so-this-episode-starts

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

August 19, 2016 9:05 pm  #5

The dialogue is priceless there.
Watson offers Holmes his room, but Holmes wants to sleep where Watson is! And there are heart-shapes in the wallpaper and a pot.

August 19, 2016 9:37 pm  #6

Yes, he is constantly in John´s bedroom. John sleeping there does not fase him the least. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSgk1MbeleU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oo5bdJxNK6M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcDhwAGMN80

August 19, 2016 9:42 pm  #7

Ho Yay wrote:

The dialogue is priceless there.
Watson offers Holmes his room, but Holmes wants to sleep where Watson is! And there are heart-shapes in the wallpaper and a pot.

And that nice, entirely canonical dialogue:

August 19, 2016 9:53 pm  #8

Isn't "come watson" the most common line of dialogue in the whole series?

Last edited by Ho Yay (August 19, 2016 9:56 pm)

August 19, 2016 9:54 pm  #9

True! 

August 19, 2016 9:57 pm  #10

Also all those bed scenes are at the start of the series, the bed is never visible again and I really think they got a bigger one!
In The Master Blackmailer they are in a set of room that is probably Watson's (Holmes is bathing), but no bed in view.

August 21, 2016 7:27 pm  #11

They are so married:

August 21, 2016 7:54 pm  #12

That last gif is a case of Something Else Also Rises

August 21, 2016 9:10 pm  #13

Pride flag screenshots!

Last edited by Ho Yay (August 21, 2016 9:12 pm)

August 30, 2016 10:48 am  #14

So married again:

August 30, 2016 11:29 am  #15

Hmmm....

December 2, 2016 3:46 am  #16

I wanted to share that in the granada adaptation they added a fake phallic stone (more in detail in the link)
http://bug-catcher-in-viridian-forest.tumblr.com/post/148995590916/sherlock-holmes-1984-a-stone-as-a-phallic

Here's a picture that show the stone wasn't there in real life.

December 2, 2016 2:51 pm  #17

Well, Granada deliberately left out the Watson marriage because she would have been in the way. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

December 2, 2016 3:43 pm  #18

I'd actually say granada included Watson's marriage, because HE was his soulmate

December 3, 2016 11:44 am  #19

Now and again everyone of us may have their doubts about Johnlock. If this happens, think of this. Sherlock's emotions and sexuality do not just matter, they are the show. Straight from the horse's mouth:

Sherlock Holmes, again, must have sexual impulses because human beings tend to — most human beings, not absolutely all, but that’s the majority.   
The fact is, he decides to put all that in an iron box to make his brain work better. 
Of course, the fact that that iron box bounces around and shakes and bangs from the inside is what makes the story interesting. 

He wants to rise above us like a snowcapped mountain, but he’s actually a volcano, and THAT’S where the story is. That’s where the story is.

Steven Moffat
(IGN interview Part 2, February 2014

December 3, 2016 7:41 pm  #20

Aw, thank you, Susi.
Very much needed.

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

Board footera