BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 29, 2012 4:59 pm  #21

Re: Parade's End Reviews- beware of spoilers!

Another review is to be found here. Knowledgeable and positive.

www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvand radio/9504571/Parades-End-gives-BBC2-biggest-drama-hit-in-seven-years.html

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

August 29, 2012 5:02 pm  #22

Two further reviews. I really enjoyed the Den of Geek one.

www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/reviews/parades-end-bbc2-fridayour-war-bbc3-monday-8081144.html

www.denofgeek.com/tv/parades-end/22455/parade's-end-episode-1-review

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

August 31, 2012 2:20 pm  #23

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FREE PUSSY RIOT

I wish the real world would just stop hassling me - Rob Thomas

Did I mention that I have a Kindle?

#destroythejoint

August 31, 2012 2:43 pm  #24

Thanks for the links. Den the Geek's really lovely. And I like the comment by the Japanese (?) reader: "It's no mess, it's art." 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

August 31, 2012 2:59 pm  #25

Davina wrote:

Two further reviews. I really enjoyed the Den of Geek one.

www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/reviews/parades-end-bbc2-fridayour-war-bbc3-monday-8081144.html

www.denofgeek.com/tv/parades-end/22455/parade's-end-episode-1-review

This quote from the Den of Geek article made me laugh. The author knows us too well. (snicker)

'Cumberbatch brings his own audience with him these days, and going by the first episode, there shouldn’t be any complaints from those quarters. “Take orf your petticoat��  he instructs a sylph-like Suffragette at one point, and it’s difficult not to imagine a thousand heads on sofas around the country silently nodding in acquiescence. Yes Benedict. Anything you say Benedict.'

Last edited by hepzibah (August 31, 2012 3:00 pm)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FREE PUSSY RIOT

I wish the real world would just stop hassling me - Rob Thomas

Did I mention that I have a Kindle?

#destroythejoint

August 31, 2012 4:44 pm  #26

I found this enthusiastic review by a German writing an English blog:

http://www.frankwehrmann.de/rewind-tv-parades-end-weekend/

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

August 31, 2012 5:23 pm  #27

Thanks Susi.
I think it's written very well - as I understand only half of it. 
But it again makes me wonder if I maybe should go right now to finally watch the second half of the first episode before it's been removed from iPlayer.... 

Last edited by Mattlocked (August 31, 2012 5:23 pm)

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

August 31, 2012 5:28 pm  #28

I think I'll watch it on DVD because now I'm only getting bits and pieces. But as you've already seen the first half, you can watch the second as well. And tell me how you liked it. 

Ah, only now I've seen the Alan Rickman comparison. Just the right mixture for a RickBatch Babe.

Last edited by SusiGo (August 31, 2012 5:32 pm)

August 31, 2012 5:37 pm  #29

The AR comparison was one of the parts I understood. 

August 31, 2012 5:44 pm  #30

Must admit I just watched some minutes of PE. Couldn't resist. So much for principles. 

August 31, 2012 5:50 pm  #31

Even though it were just 30 minutes for me so far I already have several favourite scenes.

August 31, 2012 6:02 pm  #32

That would be because of the Principals.

August 31, 2012 6:52 pm  #33

Now watched the second half hour.... wow.................................
Think I might this.

August 31, 2012 8:41 pm  #34

I am going to catch the second episode tomorrow on I-player. Walking the doggies intervened in watching it tonight.

September 1, 2012 5:00 pm  #35

Watched and adored.

Here's a review of this week's episode by Sam Wollaston for The Guardian. He clearly loves it and her...

www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/2012/sep/01/parades-end-review?newsfeed=true

Last edited by Davina (September 1, 2012 5:02 pm)

September 1, 2012 5:39 pm  #36

More reviews of episode two:

www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/tv-and-radio-reviews/9512852/Parades-End-episode-two-BBC-Two--review.html

www.denofgeek.com/tv/parades-end/22519/parade's-end-episode-2-review

September 1, 2012 7:37 pm  #37

Excellent, excellent show - I am hooked.

"Oh, please, killing me. That's so two years ago. ”

All lives end. All hearts are broken. Caring is not an advantage, Sherlock.

September 2, 2012 10:30 am  #38

You may notice, if you read The Telegraph review that the reviewer has given Parade's End ***** .

September 2, 2012 12:50 pm  #39

Sorry, I think this is posted somewhere among all the Parade's End threads, but when will this show come on HBO in America.  I signed up for HBO in preparation.  It will be coming on here, right?

And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

September 2, 2012 12:52 pm  #40

It is definitely being shown on HBO as they were production partners. I will have a bit of a research and see if I can find out when it will be shown stateside.

Board footera