BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 8, 2016 4:09 pm  #6501

Re: Johnlock: The Official Debate

I actually think it's been remarkably civil compared to most examples of online interaction - especially considering this is a topic people feel very strongly about.

August 8, 2016 4:10 pm  #6502

Glad to hear it!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

August 8, 2016 4:21 pm  #6503

tonnaree wrote:

When I stated that Sherlock is a bottom I meant it humorously, but I also just meant it is an accurate description of how I have viewed the character.

Sherlock presents a hard cold surface.  He likes to dominate in any social interaction he has to participate in.  But in those rare moments when he is able to let his guard down he is very soft.  I see in him a need to be vulnerable and let someone else take control.  It is also something I don't think he's ever found, but that he shows signs of trusting John enough to let him.

I intended none of this as a joke or a stereotype.  As a "B" in the LGBTQ community I am all too aware of how it feels to have your sexuality made fun of and the valid points that have been made about devaluing the "feminine."  But we in the community do have a sense of humor.  As a self-proclaimed bottom myself, I did not mean it as an insult to Sherlock.

I'm not disagreeing with this at all, but to me, this is not really to do with sex, sexual positions, or BDSM orientation.  And I think that's another common misconception, to be honest.  I can see that it would make sense that somebody who wants to hand over control in "real life", might want to do it sexually, but we're odd creatures and it just doesn't seem to follow as logically as it should.   

I think the only way to know what's he's like sexually, is if what we see (wanting to give up control, for instance) is directly related to sex.   That's why I'm referring to the interaction with Irene - because her approach is blatantly sexual.   If she's so perceptive, and she takes a dominant approach, then it's likely he has submissive tendencies.  (But he could be a switch, of course.   And what's probably more interesting, is that she also takes a very cerebral approach, matching his own skills in deduction, and being almost a version of him at times - she appeals to his mind and his narcissism). 

Funnily enough, we don't have the same information on Irene.   When we know she's aroused, it's when she's proposing vanilla sex (presumably).  Sherlock is actually the only character that we have any information on, in terms of BDSM orientation.  Well, apart from the partially seen young royal, I suppose. 

But this is just a bit of fun (I agree, it's good to be light-hearted sometimes!).   I do have my suspicions that Irene is presented in this way partly as a generic male fantasy - a kind of female Mr Grey. 

Last edited by Liberty (August 8, 2016 5:12 pm)

August 8, 2016 7:10 pm  #6504

I do agree with the logic of him being a bottom/sub/masochist, but it could also be argued that he is a top/dom (whatever term you want to use). 

As Ben himself mentioned in an interview about Sherlock and sex - one main reason why he doesn't indulge, is because he can't stand the thought of losing control. As a top/dom, he would be in control. (Yes, I know we can go into the debate about the sub really being the one in control etc etc, but that is perhaps too off topic for this thread - being off topic already).

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

August 8, 2016 7:12 pm  #6505

Yes, as we haven't even had one single sex scene in BBC Sherlock(thank goodness)...I am baffled at the discussion.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

August 8, 2016 7:25 pm  #6506

besleybean wrote:

Yes, as we haven't even had one single sex scene in BBC Sherlock(thank goodness)...I am baffled at the discussion.

Does the eye sex not count?  

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

August 8, 2016 7:28 pm  #6507

Interesting musings. I think both you, tonnaree and Vhanja, have a point.... so maybe Sherlock is a switch? Or a category of his own?

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

August 8, 2016 7:30 pm  #6508

So far we have not be shown he has any interest in any kind of relationship.
SIB, was supposed to deal with Sherlock and love.
Are we going to get to hear about a previous love, next series?

August 8, 2016 7:41 pm  #6509

Well, Benedict did also say that Sherlock would lose control.  "Very much so". 

http://www.elleuk.com/life-and-culture/news/a23415/benedict-cumberbatch-talks-sherlock-and-sex/

But I have to say, just from reading what he said, I get the impression he's talking entirely about vanilla sex.  His headcanon Sherlock does not come across as a sub or a masochist, in my opinion.   More of a top, if anything, but only in a very vanilla sense of being the sensation-giver.  There's also a comment he made about the night in Karachi that suggests he doesn't see either of them that way. 

Vhanja, where do you see evidence for him being a top/dom? I completely agree that he could be a switch, but I don't really see anything in Irene's approach that would suggest that he swung the other way. 

August 8, 2016 7:43 pm  #6510

Oh yes, Benedict hammering on but Sherlock's Karachi night of hot sex with Irene...

August 8, 2016 7:46 pm  #6511

Which I personally, don't think ever happened.  It's not my headcanon, I tell you!   But it probably gives an insight into how he sees the character.  Possibly that means that he and Moftiss (well, Steven mainly, as ASIB was his, wasn't it?) don't exactly align, or it just means that Irene's approach = generic male fantasy, rather than suggesting a BDSM orientation.

Last edited by Liberty (August 8, 2016 7:46 pm)

August 19, 2016 8:06 am  #6512

Answers, anybody?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

August 19, 2016 11:10 am  #6513

And for science, of course.

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

August 19, 2016 11:19 am  #6514

To quote Aristotle: "The whole is greater than the sum of its parts." = You may refute individual points but the sheer mass of evidence speaks a different language. 

Last edited by SusiGo (August 19, 2016 11:31 am)

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

August 19, 2016 4:33 pm  #6515

I had actually planned on going through the list and commenting each point - but the list was so long

But I think all these have perfectly viable explanations without TJLC. Some of them I don't see have anything to do with John at all (for instance, the first one is easy: It's the first moment of a new tv show, meaning they are establishing characters. And they are establishing Sherlock Holmes as a slightly rude person with little care for social niceties and with no romantic/sexual interest in women. (To be honest - the only thing we can read out of that one scene is that he isn't interested in Molly, by then we know nothing about other women - or men). 

The rest can either be just as easily explained by a close friendship (you can have jealousy in friendships too, perfectly normal and understandable).

And some of them I don't get why they are there. "Why did John look so heartbroken?" (Sherlock jumping). Anyone would look heartbroken if your closest friend commited suicide in front of your eyes. You don't need a romance conspiracy for that.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Team Hudders!

August 19, 2016 5:27 pm  #6516

Answers for all of those?  I'll give it a go, but it might be several posts over several days! 

August 19, 2016 5:35 pm  #6517

Liberty wrote:

Answers for all of those?  I'll give it a go, but it might be several posts over several days! 

I love your spirit!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

August 19, 2016 5:38 pm  #6518

Vhanja wrote:

I had actually planned on going through the list and commenting each point - but the list was so long. [img]http://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/tongue.png[/img

Indeed. Isn't that rather telling?

August 19, 2016 5:40 pm  #6519

Schmiezi wrote:

No, I wouldn't say so. Everyone can put up a long list of pros or cons towards anything. That the list is long doesn't say much, the important thing is the content. And the majority in that list is thing that to me speaks of a close relationship, the rest I don't see having much to do with their relationship at all but more to do with Sherlock as a character. 

Team Hudders!

August 19, 2016 5:47 pm  #6520

Vhanja wrote:

Schmiezi wrote:

No, I wouldn't say so. Everyone can put up a long list of pros or cons towards anything. That the list is long doesn't say much, the important thing is the content. And the majority in that list is thing that to me speaks of a close relationship, the rest I don't see having much to do with their relationship at all but more to do with Sherlock as a character. 

See, I doubt that. Take any other drama TV Show in which the main characters are not intended to be a couple and watch it. Watch it for about 900 minutes because that is how much Sherlock we have. Write a list with all moments that could indicate something like Johnlock.

I bet the list will be shorter.

Board footera