BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 7, 2016 6:18 pm  #6481

Re: Johnlock: The Official Debate

I don't know, they were both playing the game...but she lost cos she let sentiment get the better of her.
I guess Sherlock could still have had those feelings but had them hidden...
I know I have to accept what the team say...just doesn't fit my own personal head canon.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

August 8, 2016 8:15 am  #6482

Well, Sherlock almost lost for the same reason.  And again, there's her sexualised approach to him - she knows what men like - if he wasn't sexual, why not try a different approach?

I came across this article on Johnlock, looking at the wider context:

http://www.vox.com/2016/8/7/11950648/fandom-shipping-social-justice-ideological-warfare

This was interesting to me.  I think I wasn't aware of how "shipping" had moved ahead since I first became aware of it years ago.  It's a good read, and the links are interesting too. 

August 8, 2016 11:08 am  #6483

tonnaree wrote:

Top and Bottom are simply another way to identify on who is the dominate and who is the submissive in a relationship. 

I think we need to be careful with these kind of assumptions about gay relationships as it can easily lead to problematic stereotypes.

Many gay men do not enjoy or participate in anal sex.
Of those who do, some are exclusively active (i.e. they penetrate), some are exclusively passive (i.e. they receive), whilst some are versatile and enjoy both active and passive anal sex.

The terms top and bottom are not entirely interchangeable with active and passive, as they do include connotations of dominance and submission. Someone who enjoys receiving anal sex (i.e. being f*cked), is not necessarily a submissive person sexually or indeed in their personality in general.

A man can be dominant within a BDSM context and still enjoy receiving anal sex, and vice versa.

Gay men are often stereotyped and an attempt is made to force them into stereotypical gender roles, whereby the passive partner is more 'feminine' and the active partner more 'masculine'.

This can also be rooted in misogyny. Someone who likes receiving anal sex can be perceived by society to be more like a woman and consequently is viewed as "lesser" in some respects. Assumptions are often made that in a gay relationship, the partner who conforms to these more feminine stereotypes is therefore the 'bottom'. That can be due to either one of the following characteristics or a combination of them: they can be younger, shorter, less physically imposing or more effeminate.

So without being too po-faced about it, I do think we need to be careful about making statements such as 'Sherlock is a total bottom'.

August 8, 2016 11:12 am  #6484

Liberty wrote:

Yes, I agree.  I know we've talked about this before, but sex is pretty much the defining thing that turns it from friendship to "romance".   Once you throw in sexual attraction, it changes the nature of the relationship, I think, even if it's never consummated or requited. 

I think some of the confusion is because they do love each other.  They aren't just friends in the usual sense.   So when I read those Johnlock metas, they'll often point out things that go beyond what you'd expect of the average pair of friends.   But to me, that's the point.  They're not showing a typical friendship, but a particularly strong, enduring, loving one, two people who banter but who love each other and would do anything for each other.  The "greatest friendship ever"  (I know Steven is prone to hyperbole, but I think he really does think this is a special friendship, that people fall in love with). 

And yes, I saw the piece was from 2011, but I thought it was being shown here as something new, when to me it's the same thing they've been saying all along.  They always say it's a friendship.  They always say that they love each other. 

I think this is spot-on in terms of where the show is going, and what the creators have intimated they see as the characters' relationship is.

The only difference is that TJLCers believe that the relationship will be consummated sexually. I have seen many times that they believe the 'Johnlock kiss' is the show's ultimate destination. I fear they will be disappointed.

August 8, 2016 11:18 am  #6485

It will be interesting to see what will happen at the end of next month at the Sherlocked Convention. With Moffat & Gatiss both in attendance, presumably they will participate in panels and interviews again. I can't imagine the thorny issue of Johnlock won't arise at some point. I wonder how they will tackle it all after the vehemence of their denials in the With An Accent interview.

August 8, 2016 11:56 am  #6486

Shani wrote:

So without being too po-faced about it, I do think we need to be careful about making statements such as 'Sherlock is a total bottom'.

Oh, I agree, and that's the reason I didn't use the word when I made my original post (it's fairly straightforward in terms of BDSM, but I know it has other connotations).  But I do think there is some evidence for Sherlock possibly having a submissive or masochistic orientation (again being careful here, as these are two different things, even though they often coincide).   If I'm going to argue that Irene knows what men like and approaches him sexually, I've also got to argue that she approaches him in a dominant way for presumably the same reason.

August 8, 2016 12:05 pm  #6487

Yes, I totally agree Liberty. My post was more for the benefit of anyone to whom these terms are new: just for clarification and to try to avoid the perpetuation of sometimes problematic stereotyping.

August 8, 2016 12:43 pm  #6488

I'm so glad you mentioned this.
Apparently 'gay' jokes are only ok sometimes.

Last edited by besleybean (August 8, 2016 12:43 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

August 8, 2016 2:06 pm  #6489

Personally, I think especially this thread could do with more jokes. I'd prefer that to the rising tension we had here lately.

But that might only be me.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

August 8, 2016 2:08 pm  #6490

Well I hope there isn't tension between all of us.
Different view points, of course.

August 8, 2016 2:13 pm  #6491

besleybean wrote:

Well I hope there isn't tension between all of us.
Different view points, of course.

Different points of view are important, of course. But I must admit that I felt uncomfortable here lately. That's why I was silent here for a while.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

August 8, 2016 2:15 pm  #6492

Any particular reason?

August 8, 2016 2:20 pm  #6493

When I stated that Sherlock is a bottom I meant it humorously, but I also just meant it is an accurate description of how I have viewed the character.

Sherlock presents a hard cold surface.  He likes to dominate in any social interaction he has to participate in.  But in those rare moments when he is able to let his guard down he is very soft.  I see in him a need to be vulnerable and let someone else take control.  It is also something I don't think he's ever found, but that he shows signs of trusting John enough to let him.

I intended none of this as a joke or a stereotype.  As a "B" in the LGBTQ community I am all too aware of how it feels to have your sexuality made fun of and the valid points that have been made about devaluing the "feminine."  But we in the community do have a sense of humor.  As a self-proclaimed bottom myself, I did not mean it as an insult to Sherlock.

Last edited by tonnaree (August 8, 2016 2:22 pm)

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

August 8, 2016 2:23 pm  #6494

Thank you, tonnaree. This is how I would view Sherlock, too. Not necessarily submissive in any BDSM sense but secretly wishing to be the one who can let go, who can leave the control and the being the leader to someone else. IMO this would be John. 

As for the humour - I think some more humour would do this thread quite a lot of good since it tends to get quite tense. Serious discussion and some lightness now and then should not exclude each other. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

August 8, 2016 2:28 pm  #6495

SusiGo wrote:

Thank you, tonnaree. This is how I would view Sherlock, too. Not necessarily submissive in any BDSM sense but secretly wishing to be the one who can let go, who can leave the control and the being the leader to someone else. IMO this would be John. 

As for the humour - I think some more humour would do this thread quite a lot of good since it tends to get quite tense. Serious discussion and some lightness now and then should not exclude each other. 

I have more glitter!  

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

August 8, 2016 2:29 pm  #6496

Why am I not really surprised? 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

August 8, 2016 2:29 pm  #6497

I agree three 
Underneath all that -Mrs Hudson style sniff - Sherlocks really quite vulnerable to the people he lets close and what they think of him. He was quite paranoid obsessive about Johns blog at first.
I don't think he cares much about anyone else though. For most people he wears the detective hat and as a detective he has to be ruthless.

"Man may not be degraded  to being a machine by being denied to be a ghost in the machine."
It's just transport. The virus in the hard drive . However impossible .Must be the truth.

August 8, 2016 2:30 pm  #6498

Let it come, tonnaree. :-D

August 8, 2016 2:54 pm  #6499

tonnaree wrote:

When I stated that Sherlock is a bottom I meant it humorously, but I also just meant it is an accurate description of how I have viewed the character.

Sherlock presents a hard cold surface.  He likes to dominate in any social interaction he has to participate in.  But in those rare moments when he is able to let his guard down he is very soft.  I see in him a need to be vulnerable and let someone else take control.  It is also something I don't think he's ever found, but that he shows signs of trusting John enough to let him.

I intended none of this as a joke or a stereotype.  As a "B" in the LGBTQ community I am all too aware of how it feels to have your sexuality made fun of and the valid points that have been made about devaluing the "feminine."  But we in the community do have a sense of humor.  As a self-proclaimed bottom myself, I did not mean it as an insult to Sherlock.

Please don't misunderstand me. I wasn't accusing you or anyone else in this thread of stereotyping. Just someone up thread said that these terms were new and unfamiliar to them so I wanted to give a comprehensive overview of what the different terms usually mean and how they can be misappropriated or used problematically by some sections of society. (No one here I hasten to add!)

August 8, 2016 3:44 pm  #6500

Yes sorry, possibly I shouldn't have gone on so much.
I just don't see the point in discussing positions I mean personally, I stopped doing that in college!

Board footera