BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 7, 2016 9:20 am  #41

Re: You Know You're a CumberCookie when...

I am fan of Benedict Cumberbatch. That's it. Don't like any of those "pet names".

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

March 7, 2016 7:41 pm  #42

Me too, gently.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

March 7, 2016 11:51 pm  #43

besleybean wrote:

Never heard that last term!

I made it up.

I don't use the "pet names" that much either, but if I had to indicate one those are probably what I would use.

Clueing for looks.

March 8, 2016 2:13 pm  #44

I've seen "Benaddict" around the internet for years, but it never took off as a popular term.  I was frankly disappointed that it didn't take over from the godawful 'Cumberbitch'.

To try and stay on topic a bit: I knew that I might have to hand in my fandom badge when that awful chocolate bunny made me cringe!  I mean, Benedict and chocolate: it should be the perfect combination, but I actually feared having nightmares!

March 8, 2016 2:21 pm  #45

Ariane DeVere wrote:

I've seen "Benaddict" around the internet for years, but it never took off as a popular term. I was frankly disappointed that it didn't take over from the godawful 'Cumberbitch'.

To try and stay on topic a bit: I knew that I might have to hand in my fandom badge when that awful chocolate bunny made me cringe! I mean, Benedict and chocolate: it should be the perfect combination, but I actually feared having nightmares!

You are not alone honey.  I love Ben with all my heart and soul but those bunnies are just scary!

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

March 8, 2016 6:17 pm  #46

I know what you mean.  I was a little creeped out, but I was also surprised and couldn't help but laugh at the ridiculousness of it.  Plus, they charge a lot of money for them.  Definitely one of the strangest things yet, in my opinion.

Clueing for looks.

March 9, 2016 3:02 pm  #47

Full disclosure.  I was never bothered by "Cumberbitches."   Especially since it was a name a group of fans choose for themselves.  

However, I was horribly touched that it bothered Benedict so much.  

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

March 9, 2016 5:26 pm  #48

And surely that's what matters?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

July 19, 2016 6:10 pm  #49

When everytime you hear 'Strangelove' by Depeche Mode you think of Doctor Strange... 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

August 6, 2016 7:15 pm  #50

I just have to share this lovely moment here (this is why I love my hubby):

I had just watched the first Dr. Strange trailer for the first time, and went to him going: "Wheee, Dr. Strange looks awesome!"

He just smirked, going: "You? Liking superheroes? I know why you want to watch Dr. Strange."

I just grinned. Then he went: "Is he [Ben] on your list?"

And before I could reply, he continued: "If you slept with Benedict Cumberbatch, I would brag"

No wonder I love him. 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

August 6, 2016 7:24 pm  #51

Haha.

August 6, 2016 7:25 pm  #52

Hehehe, aw! 

When I went to see Hamlet a year ago (exactly today, omg) my boyfriend tried to give me tips on how to get more than an autograph (which I didn't even... ah well. I still got to see him, and have him spit/sweat in my eye) 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

October 17, 2020 9:01 am  #53

Just thought of a general discussion and that I may as well stick it in here.
Let me explain:
When I was a kid, I was a fan of the pop group The Osmonds.
Like may other diehard fans, I showed at least some interest in their Mormonism...
but more directly gave up caffeine.
I was just wondering, do we think many Cumberbatch fans have turned Vegan, mainly because of Benedict?

October 17, 2020 9:41 am  #54

One of the first albums I owned was an Osmonds one, but it was a "Top of the Poppers sing" rather than the actual Osmonds.  Albums were a big purchase back then and the sound-a-likes were cheaper!  (And actually it was pretty good).  Well, the funny thing is that I looked on Amazon and it now costs more than an actual Osmonds album!  What an investment! 

Not that that was your question.  I don't know, but I'm sure celebrities like Benedict have quite an influence, especially with younger people who are deciding what direction they're going in. He's also quite persuasive, and I can see people being sucked into the general ethos.  I don't suppose that's a bad thing, except that it highlights how easily we are influenced (by glamour, etc.)

October 17, 2020 9:44 am  #55

Yes, I take your point.
But indeed, if somebody adopts a healthy lifestyle, I don't suppose it really matters why.

October 19, 2020 1:53 pm  #56

Interesting question, besley (and while I am familiar with Donnie Osmond, I never knew his family were Mormons). Benedict is one of several celebrities who have adopted a vegan lifestyle/diet over the past ten years or so. I can only imagine that they, collectively, if not individually, have brought awareness to it and inspired some people to try it. I feel like celebrity influence is a double-edged sword when it comes to health-related things. When it's someone like Benedict who is supporting something that really can be beneficial (though obviously not for everyone), then perhaps it's a good thing. But when you have other celebrities (who I won't name) touting pseudo-science and other fake health crazes that can do more harm than good (or nothing at all) in order to make money off of people, then I think that's quite despicable and unfortunate.

Last edited by Yitzock (October 19, 2020 1:56 pm)

Clueing for looks.

Board footera