BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 30, 2012 8:46 am  #61

Re: RAT. WEDDING. BOW.

You're absolutely right about the appeal of their relationship and domestic situation. Besides, I entertain the suspicion that ACD conveniently "killed off" poor Mary Watson so that Sherlock and John could live together again after the return. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

August 30, 2012 9:16 am  #62

Mattlocked wrote:

As we know by now I'm one of those who suffer from posting-picture-mania-caused-by-looking-at-too-many-photos-of-Ben-and-listening-to-too-many-episodes-of-cabin-pressure-itis.
That's why I have to post this here:

You know that's almost as irrelevant as too many exclamation marks.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

August 30, 2012 9:43 am  #63

Lupin wrote:

It seems highly unlikely they would have John get married since John moves out of the flat after he marries and starts a private practice. He accompanies Sherlock Holmes on several adventures afterward but the great majority of the canon is the few years before The Sign of the Four.

I could see a wedding with John combined with The Noble Bachelor so that it doesn't work out for John, the groom.

Remember in the canon, while Holmes was 'dead' Watson WAS married & then bereaved by the time Holmes 'came back' (Watson spoke of his 'recent bereavement').
He was married before "The Final Problem" so there is an example of Moftiss diverting from the original. So one would guess there is a chance that they will continue in that differing direction & not bother killing off "a bride of Watson's" before the next show starts.

I've just disproved myself ... hehheheee.
*rolls eyes*

Told ya, I am very pre-occupied at the moment. I may have a chance to think clearly in the next few days.

*walks off grumbling at Moftiss.... again*

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

August 30, 2012 1:54 pm  #64

kazza474 wrote:

*walks off grumbling at Moftiss.... again*

*shakes fist*

By the way Mattlocked - I would love to post that GIF on my Tumblr - do you have a direct link to it so I can reblog? Thanks. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

August 30, 2012 9:01 pm  #65

If they did marry of John (hypothetically...I don't think they will, partially for reasons other people have pointed out), I would find it interesting to see how they characterize Mary. She isn't much of a character in the canon--she's just in The Sign of the Four and mentioned in a few others--and it would take a pretty amazing person to stay with John regardless of Sherlock.

That's another reason why I don't think they'll marry off John. It would change John and Sherlock's relationship too much, and Moftiss has (have??) said many times that Sherlock and John's relationship is the basis of the story.

...although it would be pretty funny to see how Sherlock reacted. 

August 30, 2012 9:10 pm  #66

Sherlock Holmes wrote:

By the way Mattlocked - I would love to post that GIF on my Tumblr - do you have a direct link to it so I can reblog? Thanks. 

SH, that's one of my very few self-mades. 
Really love that scene - both sides: Sherlock interrupting himself when seeing John, recognizing what he was about to say/do - and on the other hand John, standing there kind of small and lost between those cars but the same time so self-evident...   
You may use it as it is already named after your initials. 
Try if this link works: http://i1266.photobucket.com/albums/jj531/Mattlocked/SH.gif

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

August 30, 2012 10:53 pm  #67

Arya wrote:

...although it would be pretty funny to see how Sherlock reacted. 

And there could lie the reason that they WOULD do it.
I'm officially on the fence with this one.

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

August 30, 2012 11:47 pm  #68

Arya wrote:

If they did marry of John .... it would take a pretty amazing person to stay with John regardless of Sherlock. .... it would be pretty funny to see how Sherlock reacted

"If there be anyone present who objects to the marriage of this man and this woman, let him speak now, or forever hold his peace."

And from the back of the church comes a familiar, low rumble, "Inspector Lestrade and I do."

August 31, 2012 12:11 am  #69

Something no one's said out loud yet, but I will, because I'm perverse that way: you know, this wedding episode will be set in 2013, so it could be a Sherlock and John wedding. Just sayin'.

*thinks about this*

*thinks about this some more*

So, would an S/J wedding set the fandom up on its ear or what? Yes, indeedy, I believe it would.

Last edited by ancientsgate (August 31, 2012 12:11 am)

August 31, 2012 2:21 am  #70

ancientsgate wrote:

Something no one's said out loud yet, but I will, because I'm perverse that way: you know, this wedding episode will be set in 2013, so it could be a Sherlock and John wedding. Just sayin'.

*thinks about this*

*thinks about this some more*

So, would an S/J wedding set the fandom up on its ear or what? Yes, indeedy, I believe it would.

That scenario is #1 on my wish list! But I don't think it's going to happen. 

I don't think Watson/Morstan will happen, either, and for many of the reasons already stated here.  I think ACD himself regretted marrying Watson off because as a writer he then had put himself in the position of having to explain at the beginning of every story after that why Watson was hanging around at 221B. After the Great Haitus I think he just decided to dispense of her altogether. Yeah, it seems a bit cold-blooded, but this is the same guy who threw his creation off a cliff!

I think the Jeremy Brett series handled John's perpetual batchelorhood very well. Even in the episode based on The Sign of Four we can see that although Watson was quite taken with Mary Morstan at the end his tie to Holmes was stronger. (If anyone wants to discuss some of symbolism used in how they shot that final scene let me know. I gots me some theories.)

Also, in this modern age can you imagine any woman tolerating John taking off with Holmes at the drop of a hat? Not to mention constantly putting himself in danger? Hell, no.

August 31, 2012 3:26 am  #71

Well, Moftiss could have John marry someone. Then they could kill her off. Then Sherlock gets to comfort poor John  .

Here's my real prediction for Rat Wedding Bow:

In episode 1, Sherlock comes back to Baker Street (and the Empty House) disguised as a rat exterminator.

In Episode 2, he saves a royal wedding from disaster.  (Queen Elizabeth enjoyed her role in Peter Boyle's Opening Ceremony so much she now has accepted a part in 'Sherlock') 

In Episode 3, Sherlock and John do something heroic to save the British Government and Mycroft forces a knighthood on them. They have to practice bows for the ceremony (Queen Elizabeth has now demanded a recurring role and is secretly in love with Benedict).

That's it folks.  Simple! 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

August 31, 2012 3:28 am  #72

KeepersPrice wrote:

In Episode 2, he saves a royal wedding from disaster.  (Queen Elizabeth enjoyed her role in Peter Boyle's Opening Ceremony so much she now has accepted a part in 'Sherlock')

Ooops....meant to say Danny Boyle 

And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

August 31, 2012 5:12 am  #73

KeepersPrice wrote:

Well, Moftiss could have John marry someone. Then they could kill her off. Then Sherlock gets to comfort poor John  .

In episode 1, Sherlock comes back to Baker Street (and the Empty House) disguised as a rat exterminator.

In Episode 3, Sherlock and John do something heroic to save the British Government and Mycroft forces a knighthood on them. They have to practice bows for the ceremony (Queen Elizabeth has now demanded a recurring role and is secretly in love with Benedict).

I love your Rat Wedding Bow theories. Brilliant. All totally grounded in the Canon! Even Queen Elizabeth as it references Queen Victoria from "Private Life of Sherlock Holmes", a film so beloved by Moftiss.
Edited to add:
Will Sherlock be exterminating a Giant Rat of Sumatra?
Seriously, I've been chuckling over your choices for quite some time now
I have numerous speculations in my head, just need to find time to write them down. It is so fun.

Last edited by deerstalker (August 31, 2012 6:15 am)

August 31, 2012 6:19 am  #74

KeepersPrice wrote:

Five Stars!
I would definitely watch every minute of this, how entertaining would that be? Also, we could have Mycroft compete with her for the title of "Queen" 

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"There is no such word as 'impossible' in my dictionary. In fact, everything between 'herring' and 'marmalade' seems to be missing." Dirk Gently

Finally, I have made it to Cipher Expert :-))))) (8.8.2012)

August 31, 2012 4:11 pm  #75

Mattlocked wrote:

Sherlock Holmes wrote:

SH, that's one of my very few self-mades. 
Really love that scene - both sides: Sherlock interrupting himself when seeing John, recognizing what he was about to say/do - and on the other hand John, standing there kind of small and lost between those cars but the same time so self-evident...   
You may use it as it is already named after your initials. 
Try if this link works: http://i1266.photobucket.com/albums/jj531/Mattlocked/SH.gif

Oh sorry, I meant the Rat Wedding Bow gif that you posted a couple of pages ago? The mind palace one...

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

August 31, 2012 4:34 pm  #76

Oh.....   And I was so proud.... 

Well... if you prefer this one.............................:

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m99rfgdD0j1qk6mq4o1_r2_500.gif

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

September 4, 2012 8:56 pm  #77

"Rat" also could be some kind of word play like "hound". H-O-U-N-D.  R-A-T?  R-A ... the initials of Ronald Adair, the victim of murder in "The Empty House" case! ( Maybe he has a second surname beginning with T?)  Then there is Sebastian Mo-R-A-n.
Maybe called "The Rat" by his enemies?

Or / and  maybe this could be an allusion to "The pied piper of Hamelin" ( "der Rattenfänger von Hameln") - the ratter/ rabble rouser -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pied_Piper_of_Hamelin
( Told by the Brothers Grimm! Remember the Grimm allusions in TRF!)
Sebastian  Moran (/ Mr. Adair / or even Sherlock)   as somekind of "pied piper" - a very fascinating, manipulative person who lures  people to their mischief ( der Leute ins Verderben lockt) ?

Last edited by saysomething (September 4, 2012 9:25 pm)

September 4, 2012 9:23 pm  #78

Hmm. Interesting ideas. We have had the play on Rache. Can we have a play on the German Rat? Just thinking. Mark likes a bit of Deutsch.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

September 4, 2012 9:26 pm  #79

What if R.A.T. is an acronym of a London pub like "Rack and Tenter"? Could be the place where John meets a Sherlock in disguise. Or if B.O.W. stands for "Battle of Wits"?  Oh, sooo many possibilities!

John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

September 6, 2012 10:48 am  #80

Apologies if this has been said before, but today I was wondering if "Bow" could possibly indicate that the third episode might be a mish-mash of elements from different stories in "His Last Bow". It just seems peculiar that "Rat" and "Wedding" are very specific, but "Bow", if indeed it is referring to "His Last Bow", is very vague.

Unless it's meant to be misleading, but I can't think of anything else it could be implying.

Anyway, just a random thought. *shrugs*

Board footera