BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 23, 2015 5:58 am  #441

Re: Black Mass

I will buy the dvd regardless.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

October 23, 2015 8:10 am  #442

Schmiezi wrote:

To come back to all your comments on Black Mass: I will not have time to go to the cinema any time soon but reading your comments makes me less sad about it.

I wish there were some way to see Ben's scenes and not the rest! I live 40 miles from Boston, I was alive and aware as the Bulger story developed in real time (creepy much? yeah) so I don't care about the plot or the scenery or the accents or anything. But I wouldn't mind seeing his work, just in snippets.

Which just goes to show ya, as the old song goes, you don't always get what you want!  ha

Last edited by ancientsgate (October 23, 2015 8:11 am)

October 23, 2015 8:15 am  #443

I wonder if Whitey and/or his family got any compensation for the movie rights. All I have to do is think about that creepy old man, rotting away in a Florida prison, serving his two consecutive life terms plus five years sentence, and the very idea of even one dollar of my hard-earned money going into his pocket or into his estate turns my stomach. And yes, I know that's being over-dramatic, but the whole story just gives me a shiver, and I cannot go there.

October 23, 2015 8:17 am  #444

ancientsgate wrote:

Not necessarily!  We have no idea what he's being offered and even less of an idea of why he chooses to do what he does. He has the same 24 hours a day as the rest of us, and so he couldn't take everything offered to him anyway, even if he wanted to. I suspect that now that he's married and has a child, he'll want to spend even more time near home, but who knows. Many A-listers take their preschool kids with them, wherever they go.

Of course we don't have an insider's knowledge, it is just wondering (quite a natural thing when it comes to your favourite actor, I should suppose!). Also, I don't see the situation as black-white one. I never said I think he doesn't get "any" offers. He said himself in some interviews that he gets "loads". But he also said that he keeps refusing if he finds them uninteresting or type-casting - he can afford to do it now, he is financially established and doesn't need to fight for roles anymore.So, bearing in mind that1. He loves working and has never enough of new experiences2. Since late 2013 he has only done Sherlock, Richard III and BM, Sherlock being a continuation of previous work, Richard and BM obviously kind of "second choice", taken when nothing else turned up, after 8 months of a gap in work (and the family was nowhere in the picture yet)3. Other projects that didn't come to life (Yellow Birds, Blood Mountain. LCOZ) were interesting but not electrifying4. We are in late 2015 and we don't know about any new projects other than Sherlock, doctor Strange and hypotetical Current War I do feel a bit frustrated and have this impression that the film industry doesn't know how to use his incredible talent best. He is well and happy, he is doing interesting things, his career is proceeding well. But I do miss time when I was genuinely thrilled for his involvement in TIG, or even TFE. Talking from a purely egoistic point of view: I want to see in as many exciting projects as possible, just for the joy of admiring his talent. 

October 23, 2015 8:17 am  #445

AG: That is indeed an interesting question … (about money for Bulger)

Last edited by SusiGo (October 23, 2015 8:20 am)

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

October 23, 2015 8:25 am  #446

miriel68 wrote:

.....Talking from a purely egoistic point of view: I want to see in as many exciting projects as possible, just for the joy of admiring his talent. 

I just want him to be in a film that I will actually go to see. Many of his films are not the kind of fare I subject myself to, and/or find interesting or entertaining. I won't watch him in something that turns my stomach or bores me to death. And yes, I know I'm a minority voice here! Which is fine.

I get the distinct feeling that he doesn't see himself as some big blockbuster Hollywood star, that he just doesn't want to go there and probably will continue to do minor character roles, stage work, some TV, and more voices for animation or radio work. Keeping things mixed like that is probably more interesting for him. And after all, how much money can one person/family spend in one little lifetime? He doesn't need to be a multi-millionaire.

I like that he's different in that way, at least, so far. While I think he could be the next James Bond, he doesn't seem attracted to such big-box-office big screen roles. But...  all will be revealed, as his future unfolds.

October 23, 2015 9:22 pm  #447

I have not yet been able to go see Black Mass either. I'm really concerned about the violence and cruelty. Yes, I'm interested in seeing Ben but what will probably make me see it eventually is not Ben, but seeing the location shots where I watched then film around Boston and Lynn. Still biding my time.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

October 23, 2015 9:30 pm  #448

KeepersPrice wrote:

I have not yet been able to go see Black Mass either. I'm really concerned about the violence and cruelty. Yes, I'm interested in seeing Ben but what will probably make me see it eventually is not Ben, but seeing the location shots where I watched then film around Boston and Lynn. Still biding my time.

Yeah, you and I were here during all of that Whitey Bulger mess, both from way back and then more recently. I dunno, I just don't find criminals and their evil behavior as entertainment. I might rent it on DVD when it becomes available, but even that, I'm not sure of. As you said, it'd be cool to see "home" in the movie.

December 11, 2015 10:50 am  #449

On page 34 of Cineplex magazine is a very short interview/article with BC, his role in Black Mass
http://mediafiles.cineplex.com/FamousMagazineArchive/CineplexMagazine_September2015.pdf

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

August 1, 2016 3:59 pm  #450

Okay, eventually watched my dvd,
Not my kind of film.
Brutal, but then I expect that was true to life.
Benedict played a very good part of course.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

August 1, 2016 4:01 pm  #451

He did, I agree... but I really don't think I could watch the film again. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

August 1, 2016 4:03 pm  #452

Oh god no, never will I watch it again!

August 1, 2016 4:38 pm  #453

I rented it a while back to watch it, had it for two days... the next day I admit I only watched Ben's scenes...

It's not a bad film as such, it's just too violent for me I suppose 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

August 1, 2016 4:40 pm  #454

Oh yes, I think it was filmed beautifully etc.
Just don't watch violent films...

August 1, 2016 5:20 pm  #455

This Is The Phantom Lady wrote:

I rented it a while back to watch it, had it for two days... the next day I admit I only watched Ben's scenes...

It's not a bad film as such, it's just too violent for me I suppose 

I would do that, too. When someone lend me a  Star Trek-Into Darkness DVD I also only watched the Ben scenes. I just don't care about that film genre in general.

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

August 1, 2016 5:21 pm  #456

Oh now I love all forms of Star Trek and would watch anything of the genre!

Board footera