BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 13, 2016 6:21 am  #401

Re: What are you reading at the moment?

ukaunz wrote:

I just started reading "Shades of Grey" by Jasper Fforde (author of the Thursday Next series).

I'm only a couple of chapters in, but it's pretty bizarre... The story is set in an Orwellian future, but with Jasper Fforde's sense of humour it's certainly not "grey". I can't even begin to describe what has happened so far, and I have no idea where the plot is going to take me. But I'm kind of hooked...

I started reading this ages ago and then just forgot about it... which had nothing to do with the fact that I didn't like it but more with the fact that I wasn't in the right mood for reading anymore. But I definitely have to start this all over again. Although I have to say that the Thursday Next novels fascinated me much more than "Shades of Grey". But still, it's Jasper Fforde, I suppose I will never not like any of his novels.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

July 14, 2016 3:47 pm  #402

When my friend is through with it, she's letting me borrow 'Mrs Peregrines Home For Peculiar Children'. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

July 14, 2016 5:58 pm  #403

Ooh, I've read that!
Thank goodness I eventually killed off Anna Karenina.
I cannot tell you what an achievement I feel at completing that tome, I honestly feel I could tackle anything now!
I quite enjoyed it, but it was a long haul.
So next I go onto the book my daughter bought me for birthday/mother's day: God, the most unpleasant character in all fiction by Dan Barker.
I've also had a sneak preview at the next on my e-book list...it's an American classic(and I've read quite a few of those already!)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

August 1, 2016 12:43 am  #404

^ I second the sense of achievement that comes with finishing a long book! I just got through David Copperfield and feel like I can conquer anything now. Ended up totally adoring the book and all the characters and look forward to reading more Dickens, but man the middle section was a long haul and I didn't think I was gonna make it! 

August 1, 2016 5:26 am  #405

KatyHolmes wrote:

^ I second the sense of achievement that comes with finishing a long book! I just got through David Copperfield and feel like I can conquer anything now. Ended up totally adoring the book and all the characters and look forward to reading more Dickens, but man the middle section was a long haul and I didn't think I was gonna make it! 

I felt the same when I read it for Uni. Congrats! :-)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

August 1, 2016 7:11 am  #406

Dickens isn't known for his brevity!

August 1, 2016 7:21 am  #407

I laugh in the face of Dickens, well, compared to Tolstoy anyhow!  Ha.
Remember with Tolstoy, it's all the characters having three names(and Russian ones!), too!

Anyhow, I eventually started my next American classic: Anne of Green Gables.
I am loving it. What a beautifully written book and the title character is a pure delight.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

August 1, 2016 7:55 am  #408

Aww, I loved that one as a child!   I've a feeling it was dramatised on TV back then too. 

August 1, 2016 7:56 am  #409

I only saw the TV series, which I remember loving...
But I had no idea the book was such a treasure.

August 1, 2016 8:15 am  #410

I think I preferred the book, but it's a long time ago.  I grew up on all those classics, Little Women, What Katy Did, etc.  And also the more "boy" ones: Call of the Wild (I loved Call of the Wild!), Kidnapped, etc.   Maybe it's time to read some again. 

August 1, 2016 8:19 am  #411

Yes, I read all of the 'Katy' and 'Women' ones.
I seemed to miss out on some of the others.
This is what I am doing on my E-reader, catching up on all of the classics: both adult and child.

August 1, 2016 8:37 am  #412

There was Heidi too, and Little House on the Prairie.  Do children still read those?  My son (now adult) was a voracious reader, but he didn't seem really interested in the classics.  Maybe because there is so much good modern child/youth fiction around now.  I suppose he did read writers like Tolkien, Orwell, etc. 

Good on you for tackling Tolstoy!  I don't think I can find the motivation!

August 1, 2016 10:07 am  #413

Yeah, don't know if I actually read Heidi, though I loved the TV series.
But I did read all of the Little House on the Prairie books and loved them.
My kids both devoured Tolkien.

On Tolstoy: I just felt I should read some more Russian literature, I've only read one Dostoevsky, apart from that!

August 1, 2016 2:42 pm  #414

I had one of the seasons of the Little House on the Prairie tv show that I watched quite a bit as a kid.  I had a couple of the books, too, but I have yet to read them.

I've started doing a bit of reading in advance of the coming semester and have started reading Tess of the D'Urburvilles.  I haven't read much yet to have an opinion, but so far I have no complaints.  It's kind of long, so I'm not expecting it to necessarily be really exciting from the very start.

Clueing for looks.

August 1, 2016 2:50 pm  #415

I loved Tess, and don't remember it being hard going, so enjoy!

Besleybean, I've had Crime and Punishment sitting on my shelf for oh, about thirty years now.  I feel that if I give it charity, it's admitting defeat!  So, kudos to you .

Last edited by Liberty (August 1, 2016 2:52 pm)

August 1, 2016 2:56 pm  #416

I really enjoyed Crime and Punishment.
The only Hardy I've read is : Mayor Casterbridge  and Under the Greenwood Tree.

August 1, 2016 4:12 pm  #417

I loved the Little House books, too, and I watched "Little House on the Prairie" during my growing-up years.

I'm in the process of reading Tolkien now.  J.R.R. Tolkien: A Biography and The Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien by Humphrey Carpenter, and The Silmarillion and Morgoth's Ring by Tolkien himself.  (The Silmarillion was published posthumously by Tolkien's son, Christopher.)

Last edited by kgreen20 (August 2, 2016 4:46 pm)

August 2, 2016 7:53 am  #418

At the moment I'm reading "Trumpet" by Jackie Kay. The German translation.
Until now it's really sentimal.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

August 19, 2016 7:30 am  #419

I started "Game of thrones" during my holiday.
Not translated....
But I got accustomed, the language is pure beauty.

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

August 19, 2016 5:35 pm  #420

'Sherlock: Every Canon Reference you may have missed'.

Board footera