BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 27, 2016 12:12 pm  #41

Re: Which direction will Mary's character go? (SPOILERS after SDCC!)

Maybe she was already married in the past and her current marriage with John is a bigamy?

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

July 27, 2016 12:15 pm  #42

Now matter what ends up happening to her one thing is undeniable, her marriage to John is not legal since "Mary Morstan" does not exist.  I don't know if this will come into play in the plot, but it's a fact.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

July 27, 2016 1:18 pm  #43

The ring makes me wonder... it looks like an engagement ring... but if it's from her past, and that's pre John... why would she still wear it? Was it her parents? 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

July 27, 2016 2:04 pm  #44

Maybe equally interesting: if I am not mistaken a "golden wrap" is the last wrap ever (in this case for a character). Is that conformation that Mary will no longer be part of the show after series 4?

****************************************************************************************************************************************
We balance probabilities and choose the most likely. It is the scientific use of the imagination.    

July 27, 2016 2:06 pm  #45

Oh, that is interesting... but who knows, maybe it just fit with the ring... and she didn't think too much of it? 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

July 27, 2016 3:14 pm  #46

Okay question... about Amanda's ring tweet... what does "Pi(n?)k amends" mean, up there with the issue date? 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

#IbelieveInSeries5

July 27, 2016 3:45 pm  #47

it refers to edited parts, marked in the colour pink (pages printed on a different colour paper). the script itself dates from the 1st of June, the amends from later. the colours make it easy to see if everyone is working with the same version. see wikipedia for a more eloquent explanation: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shooting_script#Revision_marks

Last edited by Lola Red (July 27, 2016 3:53 pm)

****************************************************************************************************************************************
We balance probabilities and choose the most likely. It is the scientific use of the imagination.    

July 27, 2016 4:11 pm  #48

Thank you! 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

#IbelieveInSeries5

July 27, 2016 4:13 pm  #49

Lola Red wrote:

Maybe equally interesting: if I am not mistaken a "golden wrap" is the last wrap ever (in this case for a character). Is that conformation that Mary will no longer be part of the show after series 4?

I have found the expression in several contexts - last day of filming of a show/film but also for the very last day an actor worked on a film/show. Here is an example of an article talking about David Tennant's very last day as The Doctor which uses the expression as well:

http://mizgnomer.tumblr.com/post/110993849091/behind-the-scenes-of-the-end-of-time-photoset

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

July 27, 2016 4:14 pm  #50

Maybe the ring flips open and contains cyanide to commit suicide if you just happen to be a spy or an agent caught in a bad situation. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

July 27, 2016 4:27 pm  #51

Wouldn't that be quite the romantic engagement ring from John. 

If this was Mary's final scene in the show, Amanda wouldn't have spoiled it like that, I think.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

July 27, 2016 5:18 pm  #52

I doubt she'd be allowed to... but then again... if she was off the show, what could they do to her, fire her? 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

#IbelieveInSeries5

July 27, 2016 5:21 pm  #53

The other one?
I am sure she is trolling, still....

July 27, 2016 5:21 pm  #54

I don't know what type of contract the Sherlock cast has, but it often includes more than just the shoot itself (doing press, for instance). So worst case scenario, they could sue her for breach of contract.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

July 27, 2016 5:28 pm  #55

I'm sure they could!

She's definitely trolling! 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

#IbelieveInSeries5

July 27, 2016 5:59 pm  #56

"The other one" seems too well known for her to risk giving that away, especially with the "Sherrinford" keyword.   On the other hand, it's a fairly innocent thing to say.   And a lovely picture, too!

I can't remember if this was mentioned (can't keep up to day), but about Amanda's first words being "Lady Smallwood", and the scene of Lady Smallwood in the trailer - we assume it's Sherlock she's speaking to "we brought you back", but what if it turns out to be Mary?   She was working for them at some point, retired, and they brought her back?   It would also fit nicely with her being the other one.   So I'm a little disappointed that Amanda's tweet seems to rule it out. .. And I suppose "we brought you back to deal with this" fits far too well with the end of HLV for it not to be Sherlock.  Oh well.

July 27, 2016 6:01 pm  #57

I am still wondering why Mary would be talking about Lady Smallwood. So far we did not even know they knew each other. I do not think that Mary is the other one but there surely is a connection between her, Mycroft, and Lady Smallwood. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

July 27, 2016 6:22 pm  #58

She could be talking TO Lady Smallwood, adressing her. I don't quite like the idea but it is not impossible.

But then, almost nothing seems impossible at the moment. :-)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

July 27, 2016 7:07 pm  #59

Yes, I think she might be talking to her. I just wanted to offer an alternative reading. 

July 27, 2016 7:28 pm  #60

weren't we talking just yesterday about mary, the other one and the ring on the 4th right finger?

There, lol.

Board footera