BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 25, 2016 4:27 pm  #841

Re: sherlock series 4 (spoilers inside)

I think that it may be that the question was off on the wrong track, and we're not going to see Mary juggling childcare with John and Sherlock.  Why would she need to?  She'd have maternity leave, presumably, she doesn't normally join them on adventures, and if she did, perhaps somebody could babysit, perhaps even John if it's a weekend, or she could pay a nanny or childminder, or take the baby along (depending on whether it's suitable).   What I mean is, it's possibly just an issue that hasn't been addressed, if we're straight into drama rather than seeing a crime-fighting trio.  I think the team have set up the audience for that question, by talking about John and Mary dealing with their biggest challenge yet - parenthood.   But it may be that the show never really goes in that direction. 

July 25, 2016 4:39 pm  #842

Hands up who wants to see Mark dressed as Maggie Thatcher?
Me!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

July 25, 2016 4:51 pm  #843

Oooh, he can probably call Uncle Rudy up to help him. 

*puts a hand up*

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

July 25, 2016 5:11 pm  #844

SolarSystem wrote:

nakahara wrote:

Liberty wrote:

Thanks for the reassurance .   But I do have misgivings ... much as I loved TAB, I don't want the show to be "Sherlock on drugs so everything is mind palace", or even all about rehab, saving him from himself, etc., etc..  I'm more interested in his brilliant mind, his relationships with people, etc. 

YES to all of this.
I have my fingers crossed that drugs would not be the main theme of S4, just one of the features of the plot.

A big YES from me as well. I don't really want a huge "It's all mind palace" explanation, I don't want drugs or any other kind of 'it's not really real' plot. It would be neat if we got an explanation for some of the things in HLV which didn't really make sense, but I don't want the explanation to be mind palace. I want things to be real, it's as simple as that.
And yes, I know, it's not my show, it's theirs. Then again... it IS my show because it means so much to me...

I'm sick of the druggie!Sherlock trope as well. And, I'm about Mind-palaced out. 

Last edited by RavenMorganLeigh (July 25, 2016 5:11 pm)

July 25, 2016 5:25 pm  #845

Regarding IMDB, here's a thought.  Maybe "Mary" is only going to be in E1, but AGRA will be in E2 and E3!!

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

July 25, 2016 6:07 pm  #846

I bet Mark could do a good Maggie! 

And I like your idea about Agra, Tonnaree!  Although, looking at the cast list it's very sparse for 2 and 3 anyway - no Rupert, no Mark, no Una, no Loo, etc. 

Last edited by Liberty (July 25, 2016 6:07 pm)

July 25, 2016 6:11 pm  #847

RavenMorganLeigh wrote:

SolarSystem wrote:

nakahara wrote:

YES to all of this.
I have my fingers crossed that drugs would not be the main theme of S4, just one of the features of the plot.

A big YES from me as well. I don't really want a huge "It's all mind palace" explanation, I don't want drugs or any other kind of 'it's not really real' plot. It would be neat if we got an explanation for some of the things in HLV which didn't really make sense, but I don't want the explanation to be mind palace. I want things to be real, it's as simple as that.
And yes, I know, it's not my show, it's theirs. Then again... it IS my show because it means so much to me...

I'm sick of the druggie!Sherlock trope as well. And, I'm about Mind-palaced out. 

Oh boy, same here. Nice way of putting it.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

July 25, 2016 6:18 pm  #848

I'm not really tired of anything, really. It all depends on how they are doing it. And from what I've seen of Moftiss so far, they seem very reflected and well-aware when it comes to their writing. I doubt they would repeat themselves. 

When it comes to writing the scripts and evolving their characters, I trust them completely.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

July 25, 2016 6:28 pm  #849

Me, too.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

July 25, 2016 9:36 pm  #850

Me, three.  We know there's going to be some mind-palace in episode 2, but I can't wait to see it, sounded interesting from setlock reports, but I'm sure we'll get loads of real-time action.

I lost count

July 26, 2016 10:08 am  #851

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

July 26, 2016 10:11 am  #852

Sue certainly doesn't look too happy... 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

July 26, 2016 10:25 am  #853

I love all the jokes about Benedict confined to the basement again and now being joined by Amanda. And next time Sue appearing alone because she is best at keeping mum. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

July 26, 2016 10:25 am  #854

I think Mycroft and Sherlock's relationship was flagged up as being something to watch in HLV and TAB.  I don't think it's too much of a spoiler that that will evolve (they are talking about Mycroft there, aren't they?  So many clips and I'm trying to remember!).

The second one does look like Amanda is on the verge of giving something away!  I haven't seen the clip, only gifs, so it's hard to tell.  We've speculated about television history - what puzzles me is Amanda says they've done it again - done what again?!   I hope they don't mean something like making TAB mind palace.  Or any large amount of the series mind palace.  And if they can pull it off, suggests that there's a chance they can't pull it off, whatever it is? 

July 26, 2016 10:27 am  #855

But she also says it's never been done before. And we had MP and modernisation and returning Moriarty (or not) and assassin Mary - there are actually very few things about SH that have not been done before. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

July 26, 2016 10:41 am  #856

Well, she seemed to be saying that they've done something that's never been done before, again.   So two things that haven't been done before - one that we've already seen and one that we haven't (the new one being the big television history one).   So I was trying to work out what the first thing was.   She also doesn't say it's Sherlock Holmes history, but television history - she seems to be implying something bigger than a different take on the canon. But, I know that speaking off the cuff, it can be easy to be imprecise. 

So
1. Something similar has been done before, but not as big.  I can't think what.   What sprung to mind was them trying to fool the audience with the Victorian version and making it mind palace - but I hope it's not that, and I don't think it's really different enough?
2. This one is so big it will make television history and be "groundbreaking". 
3. There's a chance they can't pull it off.  So something that there's a chance might not work, perhaps in the sense of audiences not believing it (but also perhaps in some other sense to do with timing, organisation, etc.). 

Given 1 and 3, I'm a little bit drawn towards them fooling the audience in some way.   I've had a few ideas for 2, but only if they really do mean "television history", rather than Sherlock Holmes history. 

Last edited by Liberty (July 26, 2016 10:44 am)

July 26, 2016 11:14 am  #857

I found the video of it! 
https://youtu.be/ISy0JbMOJh8

I have to say, that watching it Sue doesn't look genuinely shocked.  It looks as if she's trying to do a jokey astonished expression, about "something that's never been done before".  So I don't think anything important was given away.  Well, we know it wasn't, because we still don't know what Amanda's talking about!

July 26, 2016 11:36 am  #858

Thanks for the link!
Yeah, Amanda wouldn't let any spoilers out. And she seems so excited

July 26, 2016 12:18 pm  #859

SusiGo wrote:

I love all the jokes about Benedict confined to the basement again and now being joined by Amanda. And next time Sue appearing alone because she is best at keeping mum. 

Consider the fact that they wouldn't even let Martin out of the country.  *giggle* 

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

July 26, 2016 9:10 pm  #860

I was just watching the second part of the panel from flicks and the city and they have better audio, as well as a more convenient camera angle. Amanda, when asked about her first line in the script, clearly whispers "Lady Smallwood", but is not allowed to say it and settles for a gesture instead. Lady Smallwood features in the trailer, saying "We brought you back to deal with this, what are you going to do?" I naturally assumed that she was talking to Sherlock at first, but maybe it is Mary she's talking to...

****************************************************************************************************************************************
We balance probabilities and choose the most likely. It is the scientific use of the imagination.    

Board footera