BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 26, 2016 7:25 am  #41

Re: Was Mary Definitely Going To Shoot Sherlock?

nakahara wrote:

Rache wrote:

But it can't be like this for a very simple reason: If Mary really wanted to kill him with skills like hers, she would have shot him in the heart or the head to make sure hes got no chance to survive, don't you think?

She killed him anyway. He only survived miraculously because of his love for John Watson.
Also, killing Sherlock definitely would mean the end of the show story-wise, so Mary really COULDN´T shoot him in the head or heart, even if it was her intent to kill Sherlock. She is not a real physical person but a protagonist in the fictional story which need to go on, so her "decisions" are adjusted to that. Mofftiss simply couldn´t write it any other way if they wanted their show to continue. Therefore, this point is moot, in my opinion.

Yep. I think I repeated what you said about the end of the show... oops! ;-)

July 26, 2016 7:26 am  #42

Well, that's the big question - whether Sherlock "dying" is proof that she did mean to kill him, or whether it was added for dramatic effect.   I think it's probably the latter, for various reasons, but mainly because of Sherlock's deduction - if the fact of him almost dying meant that Mary meant to kill, then he wouldn't need to deduce any further.  He would know that.   So unless he's fooling us with his deduction, he believes that she didn't mean to kill him.

There was a little bit in the commentary where Steven Moffat said he wished he'd added something about Mary's aim not being perfect when she shoots the coin, which implies to me that he wished he made it clearer that she didn't mean to do so much damage.  Of course, it could mean that she meant to do more damage ... but then I'm back to Sherlock's deduction again!   

I think that story-wise, there's a scene where it looks as if Mary tries to kill Sherlock for certain (she says she's going to, he thinks she's doing it, etc.), and then it's "revealed" that that wasn't actually her intention.  It doesn't work if she was trying to kill him all along.  

We will find out for sure in a few months time, though - there could be yet another twist!

July 26, 2016 7:27 am  #43

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

Board footera