BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 26, 2016 6:35 am  #3061

Re: Series 4 Setlock (potential spoilers)

It would certainly be a big twist.   I do feel S3 Sherlock has to be the same person as S1/2.  We're supposed to see an evolving character, aren't we?   And Sherlock's sadness at the end of TSOT seems to show that he is the Sherlock who has been with John all along. 

July 26, 2016 6:37 am  #3062

That has been a theory lurking at the back of my head for over a year... I'm not sure I would like it to be real... it would make series 3 mean nothing... 

But I have been thinking about it, a lot. "Time to go be Sherlock Holmes"... that is one I keep coming back to 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

July 26, 2016 7:02 am  #3063

Interesting theories all around.
But is there something in AA´s interview (I didn´t yet see it) indicating that the "groundbreaking thing" must neccessarily be connected with Sherlock´s family and relations?
What if it´s something else entirely?

- Mary is revealed as a true Sherlock Holmes
- Dr. Who crossover
- Mrs. Hudson turns to be a ninja

etc.?

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

July 26, 2016 7:04 am  #3064

Chortle.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

July 26, 2016 7:08 am  #3065

OK, I've had a very quick look at Young Sherlock Holmes.  Oh, my word! I skipped to the end and it turns out that the baddie's assassin is his sister!  Sherlock's girlfriend/love interest is killed on the case, and he swears to spend his life alone!  Of course, lots of other things that fit with our Sherlock as well because there are references to canon, but those two jumped out at me.   I'm sure I've seen this film before, but years ago, and I'm very confident that Moftiss will have seen it.   I've never been a fan of Sherlock having a love interest in the current time, but wouldn't rule out him having had one as a teenager/child - there is that "Redbeard" hint in TAB after he talks about choosing to be alone.   Benedict, in that recent SDCC clip said that he does it to be a better detective, but I think there are hints of loss as well - Benedict also said something about him having very little sexual experience, doesn't he?  Which maybe implies that he had some in the past.   And some people thought the lady in red was the ghost of somebody from the past - a love interest?   Just a possibility!

July 26, 2016 7:11 am  #3066

I do hope not...
Yes I saw Young Sherlock Holmes, but hardly remember anything about it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

July 26, 2016 7:17 am  #3067

Same here, Besleybean. It obviously didn't make a big impression.  But those two things rang a bell - mystery assassin who turns out to be a sister, and Sherlock choosing to be alone because of a loss early in life.  Oh, and the hallucinogens as well!

Last edited by Liberty (July 26, 2016 7:18 am)

July 26, 2016 7:21 am  #3068

Uhm, but would it be "groundbreaking" if they just copied Young SH?
Killing the character, family reveal in the "Luke I´m your father" style, adapting older SH pastiches... it´s been all done before therefore I would not categorise it as very "groundbreaking", to be honest.

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

July 26, 2016 7:27 am  #3069

nakahara, I guess it won't be a Doctor Who crossover, because Moffat said that everyone (except for him) is against it.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

July 26, 2016 7:29 am  #3070

Oh, so he was toying with the idea for some time....

July 26, 2016 7:32 am  #3071

I loved Young Sherlock Holmes. Saw it in the theater. It's actually worth the watch. 

July 26, 2016 7:38 am  #3072

Oh, I don't mean copying it, but perhaps referencing it, or using it as an influence even unconsciously.   And not everything in S4 has to be "groundbreaking", does it? 

I even suggested in the other thread that "groundbreaking" and "making television history" might not be what we're thinking at all, and might be something broader.   Thinking of events in television/broadcasting history what first sprung to mind for me was War of the Worlds, when supposedly some people actually believed the broadcast was real.   That's more the sort of thing that comes to mind in terms of making television history.

(There's an article here about War of the Worlds, saying that there wasn't the mass hysteria which has always been associated with it, and that Janet Jackson's nipple was a bigger event.   But still ... it's part of broadcasting history! http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/history/2013/10/orson_welles_war_of_the_worlds_panic_myth_the_infamous_radio_broadcast_did.html )

July 26, 2016 7:44 am  #3073

nakahara wrote:

Oh, so he was toying with the idea for some time....

I guess it's only logical if you're the runner of two such successful shows. I'd still love to see it happening, but I'd say that time is running out.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

July 26, 2016 7:57 am  #3074

RavenMorganLeigh wrote:

I loved Young Sherlock Holmes. Saw it in the theater. It's actually worth the watch. 

Thanks!  Well, just because I don't remember it well doesn't mean it wasn't good.  I'll look forward to watching it properly.   I have a soft spot for '80s teen films. 

July 26, 2016 12:47 pm  #3075

I've also always loved Young Sherlock Holmes.  It's a delightful movie and very well cast.  At the time it was released it's special effects were groundbreaking.  First major use of cgi in a film.

Wanted to point something out though just for the record.  In this film the assassin turns out to be Moriarty's sister!  Now, this I would like.  I do like the idea that Mary is somehow related to Moriarty and/or is Moran.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

July 26, 2016 1:25 pm  #3076

Oh, I was thinking of Mary when I mentioned the assassin sister, Tonnaree!  It just seems to tie in so well with what we'd been talking about here - she's even described by the word "assassin", just as Mary is.  It would certainly solve the mystery of "you won't love me"! 

I've just watched snippets now, but looking forward to seeing the whole thing (again!). 

July 26, 2016 2:23 pm  #3077

So, I wonder if the big scene is filming at the moment.  They said there was a really big scene on Tuesday, I think with Sherlock, John and Mycroft.  Not sure why I'm posting this as we don't know anything about it, but I'm excited thinking of it being filmed!

July 26, 2016 4:10 pm  #3078

I don't remember too well, but the assassin was the sister of the guy with the ring on the right ring finger, right? like Mycroft.

July 26, 2016 4:19 pm  #3079

I am wondering about the scene today too *Gulp* 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

July 26, 2016 5:28 pm  #3080

Yes, that's the one, Ho Yay.   Except right at the end, he turns out to have survived and to have turned into Moriarty (if it's OK to spoil a 1985 film!).  There's a reason for the ring being on the right hand.  I wonder if Mycroft's ring is referencing that?

I'm watching it now and noticing loads of things in common - obviously because some things are taken from canon, but I wonder if there is an influence, especially if hallucinatory drugs are going to feature.   For instance there's a little scene where Holmes is injured with a little mark on his cheek, and the school nurse (who turns out to be more than she seems!) kisses his cheek, so like ASIB!   Anyway, I saw this quote from Chris Columbus on IMDB:

The thing that was most important to me was why Holmes became so cold and calculating, and why he was alone for the rest of his life . . . That's why he is so emotional in the film; as a youngster, he was ruled by emotion, he fell in love with the love of his life, and as a result of what happens in this film, he becomes the person he was later.

This is the kind of thing that Moftiss would do, or Moffat in particular, I think.   They could already be doing it - and perhaps the one he fell in love with back then was Redbeard (I mean literally, the dog).   The film shows Holmes finding that emotion puts him at a disadvantage, being heartbroken and deciding to be alone.  In Sherlock we're seeing the journey away from that "machine" that he's created years ago, but I wonder if there will be more about why and how he created himself in the first place.  "I made me".  Because we already know that he's deeply emotional and not a machine at all! 

Last edited by Liberty (July 26, 2016 5:36 pm)

Board footera