BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 25, 2016 6:59 pm  #3041

Re: Series 4 Setlock (potential spoilers)

Liberty wrote:

Good point about the relatives, although I didn't see that bit (is there a link?) so I don't know how it came about.  I'd love to see Benedict's parents in S4!

Here it is, at 1:43:

https://youtu.be/Yt56DPEZN7A?t=1m43s

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

July 25, 2016 7:07 pm  #3042

Thanks, Vhanja!

July 25, 2016 8:11 pm  #3043

I've got a huge meta collecting all the evidence of Mary = The Other One for those interested here.
It's composed by a part that speculates if Sherlock has a sister called elizabeth and another that speculates on sherlock's sister being mary. Both part or only one could be true.

July 25, 2016 8:24 pm  #3044

Vhanja wrote:

I know I'm being childish here, but I DON*T want Mary to play any bigger part in this than she already is.

I'm with you on this.

July 25, 2016 8:26 pm  #3045

I think a lot of people are.
I still think she's gonna depart.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

July 25, 2016 9:49 pm  #3046

Vhanja wrote:

Another interesting that may (or may not) link into S3 - when someone from the audience asked how it was to be around your relatives when doing the show, Ben immediately jumped on him playing with his parents. Unless his parents are part of S4, that was years ago, and it would make more sense for Amanda to answer that question (who plays with Martin).

So either Mummy and Daddy Holmes are part of S4, or Ben just got carried away again.

Ben's dad was spotted at setlock location I believe, but no photos or reports go with that, so it wasn't entirely clear if he was filming or just meeting up with Benedict for lunch.  LOL  But I agree, he talked like he just worked with them again and with thinking that we will get more family background in S4 it makes sense that we will get to see them in a short scene again.

I lost count

July 25, 2016 9:56 pm  #3047

Mary as "the other one" doesn't make sense to me...What...long lost sister that Sherlock doesn't recognize? Moffat/Gatiss wouldn't make the story so very complicated...working for Mycroft somehow I could believe, but not as their sister...

Last edited by Settercrazy (July 25, 2016 9:56 pm)

I lost count

July 25, 2016 10:20 pm  #3048

It's not that complicated.
There have been some hints that Sherlock has removed a traumatic memory from his past and that redbeard is tied to it. Here's meta I read some time ago about it to add to my own meta.
The whole of TAB "going deeper" into in mind palace could be about retrieving that memory.

If they have been separated when they where very young they don't recognize each other.
Mary had another name. Sherlock was possibly called William. Mycroft might have another first name, gone by Mike or not played with younger siblings.
Some of the characters might even know about it already and not saying it.

The aim of episodes it's then to explain the story which we don't yet know, once the episode is over it's not complicated, it's the story of the episode.

July 25, 2016 10:23 pm  #3049

So, the whole family has been lying to Sherlock for three-ish decades???? About a lost sibling that not only mortally shot Sherlock, but then showed up for Christmas dinner???

Sherlock needs a new family.

July 25, 2016 10:27 pm  #3050

Oh well. What have been said here really makes some sense... still i doubt she may be their sister.

July 25, 2016 10:42 pm  #3051

RavenMorganLeigh wrote:

So, the whole family has been lying to Sherlock for three-ish decades???? About a lost sibling that not only mortally shot Sherlock, but then showed up for Christmas dinner???

There is no need for his family having lied to him.
Sibling is lost/presumed dead/kidnapped by aliens 30-35 years before, when Sherlock is 2 to 7 years old.
After some years the family might not talk about it much, they certainly don't bring it up now on a regular basis. Sherlock doesn't think about it because it's very painful, possibly the circumstances made it really traumatic. Possibly the family talks about it very little because Sherlock gets very hurt by talking about it.
Some ideas are that the dog was involved in loosing the sibling or a therapy dog after the sibling was lost, so redbeard merged with the other one memory.
Sherlock has no reason to suspect the sibling is alive so he never wonders somebody next to him might be the sibling, until something triggers him to suspect so which has not happened yet.

July 25, 2016 11:56 pm  #3052

Vhanja wrote:

As I see it, the fact that they become very evasive and awkward whenever the baby comes up, tells me something is going to happen to her. That is why I wonder if the baby will die, and quite early on as well. Since she is not talked about, not in how the baby would influence the dynamics etc. That would also help explain the "emotional rollercoater" and how the series is "darker".

And that leads me to thinking: Will the Watsons be weakend or strengthend by such an ordeal? To me, it would make sense that such a horror would mainly be dealt with in-between episodes or seasons, as is done with Sherlock's "death" and the Watson "domestic". In a three episode arc, you can't spend too much time on grieving, so it's mostly done off-screen.

Oh man, If someone kills that baby, John will go ballistic; but Mary.....Mary will revert into insane assassin mode and become The Avenging Mother From Hell.  There will be no hope for whoever did it.

Then, speaking of mothers, Mama Holmes will find out Mary shot her boy and will turn absolutely monstrous as she promised and there will be no hope for Mary.  LOL!  The crazy theories are endless.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

July 26, 2016 12:24 am  #3053

L

Ho Yay wrote:

RavenMorganLeigh wrote:

There is no need for his family having lied to him.
Sibling is lost/presumed dead/kidnapped by aliens 30-35 years before, when Sherlock is 2 to 7 years old.
After some years the family might not talk about it much, they certainly don't bring it up now on a regular basis. Sherlock doesn't think about it because it's very painful, possibly the circumstances made it really traumatic. Possibly the family talks about it very little because Sherlock gets very hurt by talking about it.
Some ideas are that the dog was involved in loosing the sibling or a therapy dog after the sibling was lost, so redbeard merged with the other one memory.
Sherlock has no reason to suspect the sibling is alive so he never wonders somebody next to him might be the sibling, until something triggers him to suspect so which has not happened yet.

But Mycroft and his cronies know "what happened to the last one"", right? Hence, lying. Serious betrayal.

July 26, 2016 5:02 am  #3054

RavenMorganLeigh wrote:

Vhanja wrote:

I know I'm being childish here, but I DON*T want Mary to play any bigger part in this than she already is.

I'm with you on this.

Same here. As it is, we will certainly get some backstory on her (which is fine, as long as we're getting some real answers along the way) and so some of the screen time will be dedicated to Mary anyway. But please not another big reveal about her...! Been there, done that.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

July 26, 2016 5:16 am  #3055

I don't think I'm 'into' Mary being the other one...

But it has happened before in the real worls that secrets have been kept such as that... maybe with a false hope of sparing a younger sibling the trauma...

Its not a far reach in a way. Mycroft himself might have thought it was a logical thing to do. We do know how protective he actually is of his brother and which strange ways he shows it...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

July 26, 2016 5:32 am  #3056

I agree, the question is: Would they go there? I don't think the idea is really new, it came up pretty much right after S3 in connection with Moriarty and also, if I'm not very much mistaken, in connection with Mary.
And since we got one moment in the teaser which showed us a Sherlock who didn't look like Sherlock at all... maybe that's where they're going with The Other One.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant

July 26, 2016 5:53 am  #3057

I still have my theory about Sherlock having another identity...

Wasn't there a Canon story where Sherlock wasn't Sherlock and even managed to fool Watson? Or has the files in my Mind palace been jumbled?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

July 26, 2016 6:16 am  #3058

Ho Yay wrote:

I've got a huge meta collecting all the evidence of Mary = The Other One for those interested here.
It's composed by a part that speculates if Sherlock has a sister called elizabeth and another that speculates on sherlock's sister being mary. Both part or only one could be true.

Wow, you've put together a lot!  I think some of it is a bit of a reach, but I agree that some seems to fit.  Sherlock and Mary are instantly drawn together, they are similar in some ways but there doesn't seem to be sexual attraction - possibly just because Mary's John's girlfriend.  (Although I know siblings can feel sexual attraction, especially if separated while growing up).  He seems to have a particular sort of devotion to her, which is more than he feels for, say, Molly.   He so easily forgives, and wants to forgive.   Maybe if there was an unconscious sibling bond, that would explain it. 

One thing I'm not sure of - Mycroft suggests he did something unpleasant to the other one, but Mary would be about his age.  If she hadn't been brought up with the family, it couldn't be his fault.   However, maybe she resurfaced a few years ago, and he did something then?

Your picture from "Young Sherlock" - you know, I've completely ignored that film, but it was from Moftiss' era and they're talking about Sherlock going back in time (we think), so this film could well be referenced.   There's hallucinogens, a love interest who dies (Redbeard?) - how did I miss this?  I need to watch it!

July 26, 2016 6:19 am  #3059

This Is The Phantom Lady wrote:

I still have my theory about Sherlock having another identity...

Wasn't there a Canon story where Sherlock wasn't Sherlock and even managed to fool Watson? Or has the files in my Mind palace been jumbled?

That sounds very familiar, Phantom.  I can't put my finger on it at the moment.

I personally am not a fan of everybody being related to everybody else, and I agree that Mary being the sister or twin is a bit cliched ... but I do think it's possible.

July 26, 2016 6:29 am  #3060

This might sound crazy, but really groundbreaking would indeed be a twist about Sherlock not really being Sherlock, at least not throughout the whole show. Having a lead character of a tv show who at some point during the show wasn't 'the real one' any longer... yep, that's what I'd call groundbreaking. Maybe it wasn't Sherlock who returned after TRF? I'm not sure it would make sense for the whole of S3 though.

Board footera