BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 25, 2016 7:16 am  #1

Three Words - Thatcher/Smith/Sherrinford (spoilers!)

Someone asked if we should start a new thread for the key words which is a good idea. They were given yesterday at SDCC. My two cents:

Thatcher - could be either a flashback to this period, some people talked about the Miskin house which seemed to be decorated in a 70s style, and the nurses in the old-fashioned uniforms. Or something similar to this case from John's blog: http://www.johnwatsonblog.co.uk/blog/19december

Smith - self-evident since they already gave us the name of the villain

Sherrinford - well, could be the third Holmes brother. But we should not forget that this was originally the name ACD gave Sherlock Holmes. 

Fire away!

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

July 25, 2016 7:22 am  #2

Re: Three Words - Thatcher/Smith/Sherrinford (spoilers!)

I think that Sherrinford really would appear and that it would be Sherlock´s bad twin. That would explain why they are the same yet all different at the same time.

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

July 25, 2016 7:28 am  #3

Interesting idea. But how to explain that Sherlock does not know him? Of course "It's never twins" could be a sign of suppressing this, I suppose. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

July 25, 2016 7:31 am  #4

They were split while still being the babies. Sherrinford grew up in a cellar as Mycroft´s favourite toy.
And that´s why Mrs. Hudson called Mycroft a reptile.

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

July 25, 2016 7:35 am  #5

Now everything is clear. 

July 25, 2016 7:42 am  #6

Yes, I posted something about this elsewhere, but Sherringford was either one of the original names for the character of Sherlock (ACD), or Sherlock's brother (Baring-Gould).  So it could be Sherlock himself, maybe something about his past, or it could be the "other one".  I think Sherrinford was older, but I keep coming back to twins because of "it's never twins" in TAB.  To me, that almost sounds as if they're going to make it be twins one day!  And I was thinking Moriarty, or possibly even Mary, but it could be Sherlock.  Another thought I had (although I don't like this one so much), is that Sherrinford is Sherlock's older brother ... Mycroft. 

It sounds as if these three names are the names of the three villains of the three episodes?  Was that confirmed, or am I just speculating?   If it's true, that would make Sherlock, or his evil twin, or Mycroft the villain.  I actually quite like the idea of Sherlock himself being the villain - an internal battle. 

I'm also bearing in mind that Moftiss talked about wish fulfillment and not postponing things - that there was something they really wanted to do that they've decided to put in as the climax to S4, instead of waiting till S5.  I don't know if that give any clues about Sherrinford.   They may have had plans for Sherrinford all along. 

Thatcher is the one I'm stuck with.   I don't feel I have a handle on what's happening in Ep1, what story they are doing.   This is the one with the dog and baby.   Of course Margaret Thatcher sprang to mind, and I think that in the UK, if you say the name "Thatcher", that's the person everyone will think of.   And because there may be flashbacks in every episode, it could be just an era, rather than a villain.   But if the other two are villains, then I'd expect something else. 

Or maybe they're not all villains?   Maybe "Sherrinford" really does just mean a return to the beginning for Sherlock, going back to his creation and alternate routes?  And somebody else (Moriarty, Mary, Mycroft or whoever) is the villain?

July 25, 2016 7:44 am  #7

What I´m wondering about is "Thatcher". Could it really be so straightforward and to indicate Margaret Thatcher? Or is some veiled, obscure canon reference?

*I cross-posted with you, Liberty.

Last edited by nakahara (July 25, 2016 7:45 am)

July 25, 2016 7:46 am  #8

About Thatcher - that is really strange because the "retro" scenes are from ep. 2, not. ep. 1. 

Someone had the interesting idea that Sherrinford could be Mycroft's twin, not Sherlock's. 

http://stillgosherlocked.tumblr.com/post/147936217008/ewebie-hubblegleeflower-hubblegleeflower

July 25, 2016 7:48 am  #9

SusiGo wrote:

Someone had the interesting idea that Sherrinford could be Mycroft's twin, not Sherlock's. 

http://stillgosherlocked.tumblr.com/post/147936217008/ewebie-hubblegleeflower-hubblegleeflower

Wow, I love this theory.

July 25, 2016 8:08 am  #10

Funnily enough, I was just thinking that too!  As both Sherrinford and Mycroft are older brothers of Sherlock, it would fit with Baring-Gould.  And of course, Sherrinford could still be the elder twin.  And it would explain some oddities, possibly.  Although it wouldn't have the neatness of Sherrinford being Sherlock or Sherlock's twin (ACD's original name for Sherlock).   Mind you, who would call twins Sherlock and Sherrinford?

July 25, 2016 8:35 am  #11

Well, no one said that the three names were villains... they are just hints right? 

Thatcher... I keep getting stuck on the 'Maggie' password from THoB... but that's just me. Also seeing Sherlock scared... 

Smith... yeah, most likely Culverton.. 

And I'm curious about Sherrinford... a twin? I do follow the "it's never twins" thing making it sound like one day it might be... but maybe that's how they want us to think? Maybe it's a trick? 
And yeah you can have a twin and never know... it's happened before. But I 'like' the theory of Sherlock himself being Sherrinford. 

I am not totally updated on Canon, but I have some vague memory of someone else coming back as being Sherlock after the fall? Accounting for his survival... "Time to go be Sherlock Holmes"... but it's a really vague file at the very back of my mind palace *blows some dust off the file*

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

July 25, 2016 8:57 am  #12

Thanks, Phantom.  It must have just been my imagination that made them villains, possibly because we know that Culverton Smith is one.   That means "Sherrinford" doesn't have to be evil. 

You could be right about the password, but I'm not so sure - it doesn't feel right to me at the moment.   But definitely, Sherlock looks scared, as he was in THOB.   There is some extreme emotion going on there, and I do think he looks childlike (the trembling lip) and kind of horrified (and on rewatching, I'm going to say "heartbroken" as well, maybe even more than afraid.  It's very intense).   But, I'm associating that scene with Ep2, the one Culverton Smith is in, so maybe Thatcher doesn't apply. 

And good point, Susi, about the Miskin scenes also being from Ep2.  So Thatcher probably doesn't apply to those either.   It seems like Ep1 is the most mysterious at the moment!

Last edited by Liberty (July 25, 2016 10:28 am)

July 25, 2016 12:02 pm  #13

Liberty wrote:

Thanks, Phantom.  It must have just been my imagination that made them villains, possibly because we know that Culverton Smith is one.   That means "Sherrinford" doesn't have to be evil. 

You could be right about the password, but I'm not so sure - it doesn't feel right to me at the moment.   But definitely, Sherlock looks scared, as he was in THOB.   There is some extreme emotion going on there, and I do think he looks childlike (the trembling lip) and kind of horrified (and on rewatching, I'm going to say "heartbroken" as well, maybe even more than afraid.  It's very intense).   But, I'm associating that scene with Ep2, the one Culverton Smith is in, so maybe Thatcher doesn't apply. 

And good point, Susi, about the Miskin scenes also being from Ep2.  So Thatcher probably doesn't apply to those either.   It seems like Ep1 is the most mysterious at the moment!

STOP HURTING MY BABY!!!

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

July 25, 2016 1:01 pm  #14

Yes, a lot of speculation about whether Sherlock's faking illness, or if it's drugs and mistaken for illness or illness mistaken for drugs or whatever.   However ... slight spoiler about Culverton Smith ...

a supposedly leaked/photographed snippet of the script had him as a TV presenter, rather than a doctor.  However ... as anything can be mind palace, it may be that he is a doctor in real life and TV presenter in mind palace, or vice versa.  But I'm thinking, just TV presenter, if that script wasn't a fake.   There's also a poster of Toby Jones at a bus-stop in one of the setlock scenes, which suggested he's a TV presenter or perhaps writer rather than a doctor

I feel we've got to get Thatcher!  We've got a clue, a couple of ideas - they wouldn't give us a clue if it was impossible to work out, would they?  I'll laugh it turns out to be the dog's name or something.

Last edited by Liberty (July 25, 2016 1:02 pm)

July 25, 2016 3:10 pm  #15

Hey, it was the dog's name in The Sign of Four!

July 25, 2016 7:05 pm  #16

Thatcher was, not literally of course, stabbed in the back. So I think this means we'll see Mycroft fighting for his minor position, for his sake, as much as for Sherlock's. 

July 25, 2016 7:34 pm  #17

But Margaret Thatcher was ousted by once loyal allies...was Sherrinford ousted?

FUCKING HELL...Margaret Thatcher has twin children: one boy and one girl!

Last edited by besleybean (July 25, 2016 7:35 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

July 25, 2016 7:41 pm  #18

Sherrinford, no. But Mycroft might, thanks to Sherlock being a bit too much of an uncertain quantity, suddenly find himself in the range of fire of once loyal allies.

July 25, 2016 7:44 pm  #19

And the twins?!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

July 25, 2016 7:55 pm  #20

Uhm? Sorry, I don't follow. I was merely speculating upon dangers Mycroft might have to contend with.

What twins?

Board footera