BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 20, 2016 11:39 am  #21

Re: Comic Con San Diego 2016

Evasions, evasions...
Isn´t it a part of actor´s job to promote things he is in? For his own sake?
It´s sad to see this TV series is more a bother to them rather than a thing they enjoy now.

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

July 20, 2016 11:41 am  #22

He doesn't need Sherlock, Sherlock needs him.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

July 20, 2016 11:42 am  #23

nakahara, I agree. And I think as long as they are part of the show the needing thing is mutual.

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

July 20, 2016 11:45 am  #24

Really?  
A multi millionaire actor who has already done a major Hollywood film, U.S TV series and does the London stage?
I beg to differ and I think Steven agrees with me.
They know they are lucky to have both Benedict and Martin.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

July 20, 2016 11:49 am  #25

besleybean wrote:

Really?  
A multi millionaire actor who has already done a major Hollywood film, U.S TV series and does the London stage?
I beg to differ and I think Steven agrees with me.
They know they are lucky to have both Benedict and Martin.

He is not multimillionaire and doesn´t do Hollywood films out of the blue... it´s roles like Sherlock that put him where he is nowadays.
That´s why I´m sure he wouldn´t speak about this role with such haughtiness like you presented in one of your previous posts...
Things like "Tv series needs me, not I the Tv series" would never slip out of his own mouth, of that I´m sure.

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

July 20, 2016 12:01 pm  #26

He is a multi millionaire.
His worth was published at the time of Amanda's tax error.
I never said Martin would say it in those terms, I am merely pointing out that for his career, Martin does not need Sherlock-regardless of how much he may want it.

July 20, 2016 12:16 pm  #27

I am sure that the creators are very well able to promote a show that has been such a success for years. While I would love to see Benedict of Martin at the panel, I think they are not strictly needed. And the fact that Amanda is there might be due to the fact that for many viewers she is the big question mark of series 4. Not that they will give anything away but I think this might explain her appearance. 

I wonder, however, about Doctor Strange. This is a brand new franchise, going to be released in a few short months. So I would expect to see Benedict there. But nothing so far and SDCC will start tomorrow. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

July 20, 2016 12:19 pm  #28

Either all too busy or a surprise last minute announcement?

July 20, 2016 12:33 pm  #29

Well, this would not be very clever since people will have to plan their visit. But maybe he wants to celebrate with his family over the weekend. Still, I would expect a big player like Marvel to ensure that their star is there. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

July 20, 2016 12:37 pm  #30

I don't know if it's written into their contracts that they have to attend these things.

July 20, 2016 12:51 pm  #31

It's nice if they can do it, but I presumed they were under no obligation to.

July 20, 2016 1:45 pm  #32

I was not really thinking of contractual obligations but that it would be in his own interest to promote the film. And SDCC would be an ideal platform for that. 

July 20, 2016 1:48 pm  #33

Sorry to harp on about this: but  again, why 'in his own interest'?
He gets paid the same, whether the film is a blockbuster or a flop.

July 20, 2016 1:53 pm  #34

What strange question is that, besley?
So that he can ensure the movie is a success and so that he will be offered more projects like that in the future.

July 20, 2016 1:55 pm  #35

Well he may wish to do that, if he's available.
But again he's under no obligation to and as I think most of have noticed, he's not exactly short of work.

July 20, 2016 2:10 pm  #36

I'm on pins and needles waiting for the Sherlock panel this Sunday.
Oh please dear creators, give us something meaty to chew on for the next few months!

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

July 20, 2016 2:12 pm  #37

July 20, 2016 2:24 pm  #38

I see Louis shares his father's sardonic sense of humour!

Last edited by besleybean (July 20, 2016 2:25 pm)

July 20, 2016 2:25 pm  #39

A little something from Entertainment Weekly.
http://www.ew.com/article/2016/07/20/sherlock-comic-con-panel-preview

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

July 20, 2016 2:28 pm  #40

It will be a fab event and we may get keywords, a clip etc.
But obviously they won't give too much away.

Board footera