BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 8, 2016 7:32 pm  #721

Re: Recently watched movies.

I loved both 2001 and the sequel...
But yeah, I feel they may be dated- or possibly,  I have just moved on.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

April 14, 2016 7:58 am  #722

Took the kids to see Disney's new Jungle Book movie today, it was my husband's idea (I felt like such a traitor, but I definitely plan on seeing the Warner Bros version when it finally comes out). Anyway, the animation was very impressive to look at but not as engaging as it could be. Parts of the movie were a bit dull, the voices didn't really suit, and the songs didn't fit in with the style of the film. The kids enjoyed it though, so that's the main thing. I look forward to Andy Serkis' directorial debut even more now!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

April 14, 2016 3:39 pm  #723

Oh I'd watch anything Jungle Book...sounds good.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

April 14, 2016 9:30 pm  #724

"Look for the bare necessities,
The simple bare necessities.
Forget about your worries and your strife..." =)

April 15, 2016 5:36 am  #725

Good philosophy!

July 13, 2016 3:49 am  #726

I've caught up on so many movies in the past couple months, but realized hadn't thought to highlight any of them!  Ranging from Maze Runner: Scorch Trials, Legion, The One Hundred Foot Journey (very good!), When Marnie Was There, AntMan, Deadpool, Jurassic World, the new Fassbender/Cotillard 'Macbeth' (which heavily reminded me of your guy's discussion of 'getting into' the bard/theater vs. movie productions or not! ;) ), Marvel's Civil War, Zero Dark Thirty (intense, and good, remembering what happened during the period of the bin Laden hunt) and Big Hero 6.

The one I kinda wanted to talk about/rec/see if many others loved though, was the Marvel stuff and BH6.
I nearly always love Marvel stuff... don't keep up on all of it, but it's just fun.  And yes, often 'typical', but not just "popcorn/super hero movies"... get really deep and funny.  Civil War was just plain fascinating with all the characters and what happens when you get friends who happen to be super-heroes at odds (if not a bit simultaneously frustrating and painful) but Deadpool... oh my god, loved it.  I was grinning nearly all the way through at the snark, the surprisingly amount of hilarity and yet being a touching 'love story', and just the whole style of it and good effects.  Think I'll have to come back around to Civil War... wonder if I'm not the only one.  So much mixed stuff there, not sure how much of it 'spoilers' on here.

Big Hero 6, though... I forgot this was originally a Marvel comic, and was just very curious about how fun and sweet it looked... a different kind of kids super-hero.  But my goodness, I was practically melted into a puddle by the end, did not anticipate how heart-rending it would be!  If you enjoy a high-quality, pretty animation once in a while, with a subtly deep story amidst an awesome diverse mix of characters showing anyone can be a geek and this motley group of friends use their science know-how to be super-heroes, try it out.  Bonus hilariously cool Stan Lee cameo, too!

So what about you guys? 

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

July 13, 2016 4:44 am  #727

Oh yes, Russell, I was catching up on "Deadpool" and "Macbeth" with Fassbender just recently, too. And I was a bit disappointed by "Deadpool", because although I certainly didn't expect to see the best movie of the year, my expectations were pretty high considering the fact that pretty much everyone I know who had seen the movie was so enthusiastic about it. There were some very hilarious moments in it, I especially loved it when Deadpool was talking about Ryan Reynolds - so absurd. And of course the SFX were great. But something was missing, I don't know... nevertheless I would recommend it to anyone who loves the Marvel movies.

"Macbeth" was quite impressive. Of course they left quite some stuff out, but it didn't feel to me as if anything was missing. Fassbender and Cotillard were fantastic, especially in the scenes they had together (and I normally don't like Cotillard very much...).

Yesterday we watched "Nightcrawler" with Jake Gyllenhaal and boy... he played a character that you really love to hate. I was constantly thinking 'I hope he will have to pay for this shit in the end' - but of course he didn't. Which makes perfect sense, but it was sooooo frustrating...! Gyllenhaal was outstanding, and the film also had a great role for Rene Russo. And as someone who is not really familiar with the structures of (morning) news television in the USA it was interesting to see how different this seems to work compared to Germany.

Oh, and we also watched "Hail, Caesar!" recently, and while I had a really good time watching it, there still seemed to be something missing. Maybe I'm just expecting too much from a Coen movie, because if this had been a film by some other writer/director, maybe even a debut, I would have been impressed. But if I had to rank the film in the Coen universe it would end up somewhere in the middle.

We also rewatched "The Court Jester" with Danny Kaye again. I have no idea how often I've seen this film in the last few years, I absolutely love it. Too bad that a lot of people still seem to have no idea that Danny Kaye even exists. He had such comic talent... If anybody wants to get an idea of his talent watch this, it's a great example of what you can do with language:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LS75NtlH3gI

Last edited by SolarSystem (July 13, 2016 5:15 am)

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

July 13, 2016 5:09 am  #728

SolarSystem wrote:

"Macbeth" was quite impressive. Of course they left quite some stuff out, but it didn't feel to me as if anything was missing. Fassbender and Cotillard were fantastic, especially in the scenes they had together (and I normally don't like Cotillard very much...).

Don't get me wrong... I thought the production was completely amazing.  Completely!  And the two leads - yes, they were fantastic.  But, um... I was still bored?  This is why it gave me a bemused inner smile, remembering the debate you guys were having about movie vs. theater (for the record, I watch/get into very little theater) plus how you can appreciate the longevity, relevance, and weight of Shakespeare, while still just plain not getting very excited by it (or just by certain plays).  Which was unfortunately what happened here.  Sorry to say.  But still... wanted to see how they did it, and was talking with my friend about the fascination with all the recent Shakespeare still being done, and why it still rings so true, and why people still watch (or, like you guys were also saying, those of us that curiously watch because of the actors involved), so we just checked it out.  I wonder about Hollow Crown, now...      

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

July 13, 2016 5:24 am  #729

Russell wrote:

SolarSystem wrote:

Don't get me wrong... I thought the production was completely amazing. Completely! And the two leads - yes, they were fantastic. But, um... I was still bored? This is why it gave me a bemused inner smile, remembering the debate you guys were having about movie vs. theater (for the record, I watch/get into very little theater) plus how you can appreciate the longevity, relevance, and weight of Shakespeare, while still just plain not getting very excited by it (or just by certain plays). Which was unfortunately what happened here. Sorry to say. But still... wanted to see how they did it, and was talking with my friend about the fascination with all the recent Shakespeare still being done, and why it still rings so true, and why people still watch (or, like you guys were also saying, those of us that curiously watch because of the actors involved), so we just checked it out. I wonder about Hollow Crown, now...

Maybe your "certain plays" is an important factor here. "Macbeth" isn't a favourite of mine when it comes to Shakespeare's plays, I don't like the version with Mel Gibson and I also thought that the theatre version with Kenneth Branagh and Alex Kingston that was brought to cinemas was interesting but in the end still not really my cup of tea. And that's because I don't like the story very much. Doesn't even matter that it's Shakespeare, because when a story doesn't work for me then it's just, you know, difficult.
BUT the "Macbeth" with Fassbender convinced me visually and maybe also on the story level because of the abbreviation of text. It seems they made the right cuts in the right places.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant

July 13, 2016 7:31 am  #730

Yes I wasn't over thrilled by either of them, though both had merits.
Coriolanus film on the other hand, was fab.

July 13, 2016 5:45 pm  #731

SolarSystem wrote:

Maybe your "certain plays" is an important factor here. "Macbeth" isn't a favourite of mine when it comes to Shakespeare's plays, I don't like the version with Mel Gibson and I also thought that the theatre version with Kenneth Branagh and Alex Kingston that was brought to cinemas was interesting but in the end still not really my cup of tea. And that's because I don't like the story very much. Doesn't even matter that it's Shakespeare, because when a story doesn't work for me then it's just, you know, difficult.
BUT the "Macbeth" with Fassbender convinced me visually and maybe also on the story level because of the abbreviation of text. It seems they made the right cuts in the right places.

Yes, this.   'Oh, I should be appreciating this because it's a beautiful production, and it's Shakespeare, and you were an English major!!!'   But....  erf, yeah.  Hence my lighthearted hopeful uncertainty with 'darnit, I hope I at least enjoy Ben's versions when I get to see them!' since I'm really not that much of a theater-lover, and that's okay, but just wishing appreciated it more.  It is still a great showing of power and madness and visuals in the film, though!

Trying to remember now which ones, or versions, I did feel more drawn to, though.  It almost feels like sacrilege (not quite, but affectionately so!), but a bit sheepishly amused to admit that the one version I adored and was nearly crying with laughter at, was the Reduced Shakespeare Company. 
Anyone here fans, or heard of?  They've been around a long time, got their start in regular theater, loved the Bard, decided they wanted to make a fun version anyone could understand and get into, and thus came up with a 90-minute whirlwind comedic show of three guys doing Every. Single. Play.    Their popularity took off from festivals, and started touring all over, and even came here once!  But by then, they were doing a new one, The Great Works of Literature, Reduced.  If you can find a copy of the old dvd at a rental or library, do check it out!

July 13, 2016 6:04 pm  #732

Oh yes, the Reduced Shakespare Company...!! I've seen them ages ago at the English Theatre here in my hometown. I don't really remember all that much about it, because like I said, that was a loooong time ago. But I know that I had a great time, it was hilarious and probably one of the funniest theatre evenings ever. What I do remember is them making fun of all the scenes in Shakpeare's plays in which people are dying. They really transformed tragedy into comedy, they even went to the audience and sat in people's laps and did their death scenes, with lots of stertorous breathing and moaning and whining and then falling over... it was great!

I would really love to recommend to you "Much ado about nothing" with David Tennant and Catherine Tate, which they did in London years ago. But it's not available on DVD, so... too bad. But maybe you should give Kenneth Branagh's "Much ado about nothing" a try?

July 13, 2016 6:29 pm  #733

...and here I found a complete show of the Reduced Shakespeare Company:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqmfrqAVeK0

July 13, 2016 9:38 pm  #734

SolarSystem wrote:

We also rewatched "The Court Jester" with Danny Kaye again. I have no idea how often I've seen this film in the last few years, I absolutely love it. Too bad that a lot of people still seem to have no idea that Danny Kaye even exists. He had such comic talent... If anybody wants to get an idea of his talent watch this, it's a great example of what you can do with language:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LS75NtlH3gI

Danny Kaye is great! Since I was a kid, my parents have referenced the vessel with the pestle scene every now and then and when I finally saw the movie a few years ago I was glad I finally see the context. Such a funny movie.

Clueing for looks.

July 14, 2016 2:09 am  #735

Yes!  That's the other one I wanted to remember.  Love those two.     I caught just a little of Tennant's Hamlet on tv - loved the style.  Which was why I was just hopefully wondering about Ben's plays keeping the same attention.
And yes yes yes, again, love the RSC   (not to be confused with "Royal")  ;D   I remember seeing someone posted it to youtube, which was great, but forgot to mention it.  There wasn't much audience interaction when we saw them do 'Great Works of Literature', except title requests (which were made fun of), and getting to greet them/get program signed on your way out.  Their energy and improv is just impressive, which is maybe why enjoyed so much more.....

August 4, 2016 9:18 pm  #736

A couple days ago I watched Remember.  A movie with Christopher Plummer playing a 90-year-old man with memory problems might not seem like an interesting movie, but it's a great story (and takes place almost completely outside the nursing home).  It's really well-written and stayed with me the rest of the night - and I have still thought about it since watching it even a day or two later.

Clueing for looks.

August 5, 2016 7:28 am  #737

Oh, and it has Christopher Plummer...! I'm sure he is doing a wonderful job. Oh, and Martin Landau! I must admit I've never heard of the film before, so thanks for the recommendation!

We saw "Our Kind of Traitor" recently, a film based on a novel by John le Carré. Since I absolutely loved "Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy" I was very interested in this film. And I'm afraid I was a bit disappointed. It's not really what I would call a spy or espionage movie, because you don't really see much of the process. And that's what I loved about TTSS, because you really got an insight into what it must have been like to be a spy at the time.
So "Our Kind of Traitor" is more like a thriller with a little bit of espionage thrown in. The initial point of the story didn't fully convince me (a normal guy who is on a holiday and comes into contact with a Russion spy/gangster who talks the man into helping him by taking a flash drive back to the UK with him...), Although they tried to prepare the audience for this by showing the man in a unsatisfying marriage and job situation, it didn't completely work for me. Nevertheless the film wasn't boring, it was kind of enthralling. And the actors were good - Mark Gatiss in an (regrettably) tiny, tiny role.    

August 7, 2016 7:06 pm  #738

Forgot to say that I at last got to see Brokeback Mountain...
Very sad!

August 7, 2016 8:09 pm  #739

Oh Brokeback Mountain... I remember how much the movie impressed me. Truly, very sad. I cried a lot. But it's just one of the best movies i've watched so far...

August 7, 2016 8:12 pm  #740

Yes, one of those films that is quite frustrating too...why can't people just be open and honest with each other?
But I suppose they were both under some pressure.

Board footera