BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 10, 2016 4:43 pm  #1

Comic Con San Diego 2016

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

July 10, 2016 4:46 pm  #2

Re: Comic Con San Diego 2016

Thanks for opening the thread. I am not quite sure what to think right now. Amanda again as sole representative of the acting team besides Mark … Trying to stay positive but I am honestly getting tired of seeing her instead of Benedict, Mark, or other members of the team. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

July 10, 2016 5:35 pm  #3

And you're not the only one. And let's be honest, Mark will mostly be there as one of the creators of the show and not so much as an actor.
Maybe Benedict and Martin are both too busy and Amanda... well, maybe she isn't busy.

Last edited by SolarSystem (July 10, 2016 5:36 pm)

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

July 10, 2016 5:39 pm  #4

Yes, I like you positive thinking. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

July 10, 2016 5:44 pm  #5

I totally agree with you. That all worries me, because everything Sherlock related was fun and when I saw this tweet today I caught myself thinking "oh not her again" and I don't want to feel like that.

But anyway I'm happy they'll be at Comic Con and I'm quite sure it'll be fun.

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

July 10, 2016 5:52 pm  #6

Well of course people are free not to attend or watch.
Presumably the team are all happy with their reps, though it will partly be to do with availability.
Mary is a major character.
I like Amanda at these things, I find she usually answers well.
Personally I can't wait to get the reports.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

July 10, 2016 6:00 pm  #7

I am looking forward to any news as well. I beg to differ though in one point: in my opinion there are only two major characters in this show. As there are in Canon. 

July 10, 2016 6:03 pm  #8

Yes, I imagine it might be about availability as well.  Wasn't it just Rupert Graves last year from the actors' side (apart from Mark, of course?).   I find her quite articulate too, and she probably is the biggest character afer Sherlock and John just at this point.  Of course, I would love to have seen them there instead, but it will be good to hear from Amanda, particularly as we know something is going to happen with her character in the next series! 

July 10, 2016 6:11 pm  #9

I would have preferred Andrew, of course, and I'm hoping it's just cos he's not available...
But I'm sure Amanda will be fine.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

July 10, 2016 6:33 pm  #10

Liberty wrote:

Of course, I would love to have seen them there instead, but it will be good to hear from Amanda, particularly as we know something is going to happen with her character in the next series! 

But she won't be talking about this in detail anyway. And of course Martin or Benedict wouldn't have given anything away about S4, either, but that's not the point. In my opinion Mary as well as Amanda seem to be playing a far too important role in the BBC Sherlock universe now, and that's just not what I initially loved about the show. And of course that's my personal problem.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant

July 10, 2016 6:36 pm  #11

Well yes, we all have to decide whether or not we wish to continue watching the show.
But regarding Mary, I am firmly expecting the coming season to be her last...and I kind of thought at least some people would be pleased about that.

July 10, 2016 6:44 pm  #12

I don't suppose we really want to have too much given away!  But it's nice that it's an actor who (presumably) will be deeply involved in the plotline, more so than, say, Rupert Graves (who was great last year).     I do know what you mean, but I think it's because Mary has become so enmeshed in the main characters' story that it's appropriate for Amanda to have more time with the public.  I suppose that at the moment, we don't know for sure how central the other characters are going to be (even if following Setlock it's not clear what's mind palace, flashback, etc.), whereas we're pretty sure that the Mary story has to be resolved in some way.  I think so, anyway!  It would have been interesting to have Toby there as we know who he's playing, but there would probably have been too much that he wouldn't be able to say!

July 10, 2016 6:54 pm  #13

Liberty, that's all true of course. Nevertheless I'm of the opinion that it's always a good thing for the lead actors of a show to do promotional stuff like this from time to time. And I just feel that Benedict and Martin have appeared to be a bit uninvolved lately. There were times when they seemed to be far more committed. And I'm a bit tired of always excusing them by saying "Well, they are very busy and have lots of other projects". Let's not forget why they have so many other projects now.
And yes, I'm well aware that they don't owe anyone anything.

July 10, 2016 6:57 pm  #14

I honestly hope it doesn't mean that the perpetual rumours are true  for once and this is the last series...
But I will just take what we are given, as we are given it.

July 10, 2016 7:05 pm  #15

I will just throw in my two cents: there's nothing on the show so far that justifies in any way the involvement of show representation AA does. I agree with Susi and Solar. It's also plain boring to always have the same quadruple at every podium. There are lots of actors involved and I would be happy to see anyone else for a change now. And this is still about TWO main characters.

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

July 10, 2016 7:06 pm  #16

Okay, well maybe next time?

July 10, 2016 7:07 pm  #17

*fingers crossed *

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

July 10, 2016 7:17 pm  #18

It could also be another way to distract us from deducing certain things about S4.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

July 20, 2016 11:21 am  #19

We are promised an explosion:

But no Benedict or Martin, unfortunately:

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

July 20, 2016 11:23 am  #20

They are always way too busy for these things and I suspect Martin is not over keen on them.

Board footera