BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 2, 2016 1:18 pm  #241

Re: Marvellous Midyear Fic Exchange 2016

First time

What a totally, totally lovely fic with Sherlock turning a little explosion that's not the result of one of his experiments into an absolute DRAMA!!! The descriptions of the light summer rain and its insufficiency to express the depth of his despair are perfect. Right now Sherlock is welcome for a few days stay over here (he always is ahem) for outside, despite summer, the rain is hammering away at my window in a manner that would suit his mood perfectly.

Well, there's a first time for everything and this little lover's tiff was a wonderful example of that. Very well done, anon author.

July 2, 2016 1:19 pm  #242

That picture of a happily smiling Sherlock is just perfect, ukaunz. Thank you again for these delightful drawings.

July 5, 2016 1:06 am  #243

Thanks to everyone for all your lovely words about my drawings

I've just posted fic number six for your enjoyment (no drawing for it I'm afraid, because kids on school holidays = I can't concentrate)

Apollo and the Aluminium Crutch

What a ride, thanks for the thrilling adventure! The Greek/Roman mythology aspect made for an intriguing case, and the solution was a surprise. That climax had me biting my nails, but the ending reveals just how strong Sherlock and John's love for each other is. I really enjoyed the humour, especially Greg's many misnomers. I also liked the way you alluded to the abominable wife and her departure from the lives of our boys. Congratulations on filling all of those prompts, you've pulled off an amazing feat!

Last edited by ukaunz (July 5, 2016 9:38 am)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

July 5, 2016 2:11 pm  #244

One more review before I go away.

First Time

I really liked the descriptions of the rain and the weather in this one.  I could practically feel it.  The tension was good, too.  I was wondering "What did he say? What was so bad? What could have gone wrong?" By the time I actually got to reading it, I had forgotten the prompt asked for a happy ending, so I was really not sure what was going to happen to those two.  
And then the end was kind of funny.

Last edited by Yitzock (July 5, 2016 2:12 pm)

Clueing for looks.

July 5, 2016 2:15 pm  #245

Kudos for this fic! I loved how you integrated all the Greek and Roman elements, the dark and the light side of Apollo and at the same time comparing Sherlock to him. The Mary backstory was done beautifully with the moving hints to her injuring Sally. My heart nearly stopped when the dead man nearly dropped on John, what a great idea! And the Johnlock was lovely and showed how their love overcomes all obstacles. Thank you for a wonderful read. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

July 5, 2016 6:04 pm  #246

Wow, what a great story. I loved the case, it was interesting, intelligent and exciting - something I think is quite hard to accomplish. I really liked how you portrayed Sherlock and John and their relationship. You seemlessly integrated Johnlock into the story in a way that made it just as easy to read and follow without it as including it. 

I also loved that Sherlock seemed to be have a sense of humour and to have a bit of fun (on John's expense). Sometimes he might be portrayed almost too serious, I liked that he also had a playful side. Great fic!

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

July 5, 2016 11:14 pm  #247

"Nothing to Wear"

HAHA!!

I think there are some people who don't mind, Sherlock!

Clueing for looks.

July 6, 2016 6:53 am  #248

People like me. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

July 6, 2016 1:40 pm  #249

Sherlock wearing nothing? Why is this a problem?

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

July 6, 2016 1:53 pm  #250

To quote John: "I don't mind." And Sherlock: "Anytime." 

July 6, 2016 8:41 pm  #251

Dear, dear, dear Anon Author,

Thank you so much for a truly wonderful fic that contains all the elements that make a fic enjoyable for me:
- a truly clever and interesting case that gives Sherlock a chance to show why he's the world's only consulting detective;
- John and Greg as staunch supporters and properly baffled by their genius friend;
- lovely descriptions of beautiful London that give a proper on-site feel;
- absolutely the same holds true for the language you employ to describe Sherlock's appealing exterior. Gives it a proper hands-on feel (I wish);
- all the lovely banter between Sherlock and John that reminds me of the show and is one of the reasons I love the show so much;
- there can never be too much Gavin in a Sherlock fic;
- the thrill of the chase, the two of them against the rest of the world. That feeling reigned so strongly here. Totally love that;
- the wonderful humour. Yet another article series one and two (and thankfully the special) abounded in and which were another reason why I fell 100% in love with the show;
- the Dutch element. How in Heaven's name do you know I'm Dutch;
- and how do you know Sheryl is my name for the Watson's daughter, I wonder;
- and last but not least. How you managed to put in all those impossible prompts and yet turn the story into a thrilling, comprehensive casefic that was a joy to read from first to last. I stand amazed and bow deeply before you oh mighty anon.

And, I love long fics and never even realised there was a max word count (giggles nervously). ACD's best stories had a minimum word count that was a bit over 10,000 I think so you really don't hear me complaining. And I sincerely love how you've worked in the mythology, the comparison of Sherlock to Apollo is indeed very fitting, and my, as that picture that Ukaunz posted directly beneath your wonderful story shows all too well, there's a certain resemble. Apollo!lock, I like that.

All in all, I count myself extremely lucky for having received such a marvellous story in the exchange. I really, really can't thank you enough.

Last edited by dioscureantwins (July 6, 2016 8:42 pm)

July 6, 2016 8:45 pm  #252

Holiday. I'll be leaving for a holiday Saturday 9 which means I won't be able to comment on the stories for a week. I will read and comment once I return.

Have fun reading in the meantime, everyone.

July 8, 2016 3:14 am  #253

I've just posted the seventh fic along with a special work of art by another lovely member of this forum

A day at the beach – the Baker Street way

I really loved this fic, it made me smile and warmed me right up.  A day at the beach is just what the boys needed. I bet Sherlock is very good at massaging sunscreen into John's back – just imagine those hands at work! I need a cold shower now What a fun way to fulfil the Victorian prompt, well done

Last edited by ukaunz (July 8, 2016 3:25 am)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

July 8, 2016 6:48 am  #254

Oh, my, I was feeling a bit in the dumps this morning and along came my fic! Thank you so much, dear unknown author, it is such a lovely and heart-warming story. Kudos to how you integrated my wish for something historic. The idea of a filmset and John weaving this into his Victorian dream is wonderful. And there are even bees in the story. 

I am also very happy with their relaxed and loving relationship. (I remember those sun screen on back sessions from my teenage days at the swimming pool.)
"This is the true reason for us going to the beach, isn’t it? " Sherlock whispered, his voice deep and warm, while his hands caressed John’s shoulders.

And this is of course my favourite sentence of the whole story:
"I even had a wife! Can you imagine?» John laughed in disbelief – what an odd dream!

Thank you again, you have made me very happy with your story. 

And a special thank you to GimmeCat for adding the wonderfully atmospheric pic. 

Last edited by SusiGo (July 8, 2016 2:23 pm)

July 8, 2016 10:49 am  #255

A day at the beach - the Baker Street way

Wow, anon author what a lovely warm story you've written, Reading it I can just see John enjoying the sun and falling asleep, what with receiving such a lovely massage first. And of course Sherlock would be bored with it. Greg would have been a better companion for such an outing. Although, not for the sun screen rubbing part I suppose.

Great story.

July 8, 2016 10:50 am  #256

Sunset.

Hi gimmecat. Wonderful artwork. I like the bold colours especially.

July 8, 2016 5:10 pm  #257

Once upon a time, I, Chuang Chou, dreamt I was a butterfly, fluttering hither and thither, a veritable butterfly, enjoying itself to the full of its bent, and not knowing it was Chuang Chou. Suddenly I awoke, and came to myself, the veritable Chuang Chou. Now I do not know whether I was then a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly dreaming I am a man

Wow, I had such a taoist feeling while reading this story! The idea of integrating two different timelines of Sherlock´s and John´s life through John´s dream was perfect and written in such a playful manner, it really left you guess which „reality“ did actually take place in this story and which one was an illusion. Or perhaps they were both real? So intriguing! 

The „day of the beach“ part of this story, on the other hand, was wonderfully Johnlocky. John´s playful bait for Sherlock in the form of the book, Sherlock´s (correct) deductions about the contents of the gift, the nice touch of book being the one on beekeeping... that all brought a nice feeling of deep, dedicated relationship to this fic that was a pleasure to read. Sherlock massaging John, besides being extremely hot, lulled John and us the readers into a nice repose... and that´s why the contrast with the following, Victorian action story was so effective. I loved it. Victorian Holmes successfully catching a criminal for Lestrade was a must, of course and very satisfying. 

All in all, this was a truly enjoyable intellectual play that both challenged our imagination and painted a loving picture of the pair connected by unshakable love and adoration. Immense pleasure. 

And gimmecat, your picture accompanying the story is both sweet and heartbreaking. Those scars on Sherlock´s back! Oh, what sadness! And yet the trust and closeness of John! The deep sea horison! What beauty!

Last edited by nakahara (July 8, 2016 5:10 pm)

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

July 8, 2016 5:43 pm  #258

What a wonderful fic. I love the atmosphere at the beach and the loving relationship between Sherlock and John.

The Victorian part was included in such an interesting way.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

July 8, 2016 11:38 pm  #259

So, I've got one more fic that I will post on Monday, which brings us to 8/10. The last two stories are still apparently in the writing stage (I haven't had any updates recently). Not sure what to do if they aren't submitted soon...

Last edited by ukaunz (July 9, 2016 4:12 am)

July 9, 2016 5:29 am  #260

What an adventure! I would love to see it on screen,for it contains so many strong images. The crutch and the body falling from the sky, the jetboat ride, and I surely wouldn't mind seeing John's ass exposed.

You wrote about an interesting case and managed to stick to the Apollo theme the whole time. I love how the Johnlock part was included so naturally. Great work.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

Board footera