BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 22, 2012 12:04 am  #1

The Iconography of BBC's Sherlock

I am hoping you can point me towards great writings discussing the iconography (cinematography, colouring, fashion, etc) of Sherlock.

I find it fascinating how many icons this BBC adaptation created (including wall paper and smiley faces!) and would love to read more on this.

Of course, the significant differences between the unaired Pilot and the eventual First Episode hint at a few aspects (richer colours, Sherlock's more exclusive clothing, Sherlock in a full lab instead of a computer room etc) - so - anyone with more food for thought, please?

August 22, 2012 6:44 pm  #2

Re: The Iconography of BBC's Sherlock

I'm not sure if this is the sort of thing that would be of interest and what you are looking for but there is this:

www.knowyourmeme.com/memes/subcultures/sherlock

And a smiley face just to prove the point.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

August 22, 2012 11:41 pm  #3

hm, yeah, that is kinda what I am looking for - but I need more data! probably an academic paper or more MasterClass transcripts or further DVD Commentary? I know we will find it eventually!

August 23, 2012 6:39 am  #4

Tried Sherlockology?
There is another that has what you're asking about, I'll have to think where it is.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

August 23, 2012 7:20 am  #5

Gosh. I've been searching high and low but found nothing academic specifically about the iconography in Sherlock. There's quite a bit to be had on the iconography in Sherlock Holmes per se. There is something going on in Warwick in December 2012 which definitely involves a presentation of some academic research by a fellow called Pillai who is part of the Film Studies department there. Warwick is a very good university so it might be worth keeping an eye on their website.

I will keep my eyes peeled for you.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

August 25, 2012 8:50 am  #6

I think the book you might be looking for is Sherlock and Transmedia Fandom: Essays on the BBC Series.

The language of most of the articles are moderately to richly academic, though my friend wrote the Introduction and she made an attempt at being as clear and concise as possible - a job at which I think she succeeded very well. Overall, it's nice book to have if you're into BBC Sherlock more than the average viewer but also want a slightly more cerebral/critical set of interpretations to accompany it.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by always1895 (August 25, 2012 8:51 am)

---------------------
matt laffey
@always1895 on Twitter
Always1895.net
Priory Scholars of NYC
Always1895 on Twitpic

August 25, 2012 11:07 pm  #7

Brilliant, thanks, will order the book!

August 26, 2012 12:15 am  #8

I read the sample on Amazon.  It looks excellent.  I think I will order also.

And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

August 28, 2012 8:34 pm  #9

Wow, that looks like a pretty awesome book!

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

August 28, 2012 9:08 pm  #10

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

Board footera