BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 28, 2016 6:29 pm  #1

Janus Cars

In the 'The Great Game' There was a MAJOR hint in Janus Cars, in the Greek mythology, Janus was the god with two faces. We know later that Jim posed as Richard Brook to askew off the relations of Jim Moriarty. Now, why didn't Sherlock know who Moriarty was in 'The Great Game'? He is introduced to him by Molly, even Jim gives his number to Sherlock. In 'Study In Pink' the cabbie, in great pain, shouts to Sherlock who was behind it all, Moriarty. In 'The Great Game' Sherlock admits he has been waiting for this for a while, stating to the Carl Powers mystery. But at to what extent does he mean by that? Was he meaning that he knew(from the Cabbie) about Moriarty? Now, going back to the Janus theory, you would know that if Sherlock tried to look up Moriarty he wouldn't exist. And if somehow Richard Brook came up(before 'The Reichenbach Fall') he'd have no idea who that was only that he was an actor on a children's t.v show.

SHERLOCK: What’s wrong?
JOHN: Just met a friend of yours.
SHERLOCK: A friend?
JOHN: An enemy.
SHERLOCK (calmly): Oh. Which one?

June 28, 2016 8:15 pm  #2

Re: Janus Cars

First of all, I am not quite sure what you're hinting at, therefore I'll try and write the things down as I see them:

What I think, is, that Sherlock says that he had waited for this because after the cabbie called out Moriartys name, he knew that he was there somewhere and he waited for him to reveal himself. What do you think?

I've always loved the Janus Cars reference myself, because it's a clever part of the game Moriarty's playing with Sherlock. He's saying: 'Hey, the people may not be what they seem' and is also referencing to himself, which I love. Another clever part of this game was, that he went to check, whether Sherlock knew about him and to check if Sherlock would deduce the things about him he wanted him to (therefore the gay act). He even left him his number, but Sherlock (so it seems) didn't see it as important enough to call or research because apparently it was from someone he thought he knew enough about. Therefore, he had no idea it was in fact the man he was after since the cabbie called out the name. And he had no idea what he looked like, because Moriarty wouldn't use a real photo of his on the internet. I am quite sure that a person named 'James Moriarty' couldn't be found on the internet, but people who wanted to contact him, would know how to find him.
I am not sure though how long the person of 'Richard Brook' had existed before. First I thought he had to start with it after the Reichenbach case, but then, if Moriarty himself set up this case (because it was part of his game), he could have started with it a bit earlier on, because he knew, if that painting would disappear and Sherlock would return it, it would be a big thing in the press and therefore Sherlock would be able to get the name joke. But as we do not know how long Moriarty has been using the name of Richard Brook before, we cannot be certain whether the Janus Cars reference also has a meaning for this part of the game. I would see it only referencing to the visit of Jim from IT.
If that's not what you've been asking, I apologize for my long and useless explanation.

------------------------------------------------------------
"Love something, and love it deeply."
Andrew Scott

"I don’t care how hypothetical it is, I’m not flying with a live otter in the flight deck."
Captain Martin Crieff

June 29, 2016 9:39 pm  #3

James Norrington wrote:

First of all, I am not quite sure what you're hinting at, therefore I'll try and write the things down as I see them:

What I think, is, that Sherlock says that he had waited for this because after the cabbie called out Moriartys name, he knew that he was there somewhere and he waited for him to reveal himself. What do you think?

I've always loved the Janus Cars reference myself, because it's a clever part of the game Moriarty's playing with Sherlock. He's saying: 'Hey, the people may not be what they seem' and is also referencing to himself, which I love. Another clever part of this game was, that he went to check, whether Sherlock knew about him and to check if Sherlock would deduce the things about him he wanted him to (therefore the gay act). He even left him his number, but Sherlock (so it seems) didn't see it as important enough to call or research because apparently it was from someone he thought he knew enough about. Therefore, he had no idea it was in fact the man he was after since the cabbie called out the name. And he had no idea what he looked like, because Moriarty wouldn't use a real photo of his on the internet. I am quite sure that a person named 'James Moriarty' couldn't be found on the internet, but people who wanted to contact him, would know how to find him.
I am not sure though how long the person of 'Richard Brook' had existed before. First I thought he had to start with it after the Reichenbach case, but then, if Moriarty himself set up this case (because it was part of his game), he could have started with it a bit earlier on, because he knew, if that painting would disappear and Sherlock would return it, it would be a big thing in the press and therefore Sherlock would be able to get the name joke. But as we do not know how long Moriarty has been using the name of Richard Brook before, we cannot be certain whether the Janus Cars reference also has a meaning for this part of the game. I would see it only referencing to the visit of Jim from IT.
If that's not what you've been asking, I apologize for my long and useless explanation.

No, it's more of an explanation from what I've been getting so, no, it's not useless. There was a theory on pinterest not too long ago, it was said that Richard Brook has always existed but the reason Sherlock didn't make too much of a fuss was because 1: he probably didn't know about him till after 'The Great Game' but since he was an actor didn't think it was relevant or so.  2:He looked up James Moriarty didn't exist because Richard Brook made him up (Janus Cars hint) Of course Sherlock was waiting on that moment for sometime because of either the stolen shoes or The Cabbie's outcry. But, it doesn't empathize on which was more relevant. I'm leaning more towards the outcry, just because it was recent and basically the first hint of James Moriarty. If so, how come Moriarty didn't have a sniper on The Cabbie? was it because The Cabbie has basically been asking for death since they first told him about his death clock? or was it a slip up? did he even have sniper' at that point? was he watching Sherlock at that point as much, did he know The Cabbie even told him? 

June 29, 2016 10:08 pm  #4

Ah, well, sorry, I didn't know about that. That's interesting, though, I always liked the 'Richard Brook is real' - theory. But with the cabbie: I always thought this one was there to check on whether Sherlock would be interested in playing games and whether he would solve it and how far he would go. And I'm sure he liked the case of the cabbie because he was about to die anyway so he wasn't afraid of anything.
But actually, it's a good point, there should've been someone there close enough to supervise whether the cabbie did what he was told to and to make sure he didn't kill the wrong person.

------------------------------------------------------------
"Love something, and love it deeply."
Andrew Scott

"I don’t care how hypothetical it is, I’m not flying with a live otter in the flight deck."
Captain Martin Crieff

June 30, 2016 12:08 pm  #5

Sorry?! No reason to be, can't be sorry for what you don;t know than again thank you for it. Yes, It gives me more of an insight to the Carl Powers case and when Sherlock was young. If there was a way to go back to the school body and identify which was there. Well, it's a little irrelevant now right? Now, the mystery is, Moriarty...is he back? Or!!! is there a cult group that could be under Moriarty(maybe) Magnussen? Also, has anyone ever concluded if Moriarty was under Magnussen and was just waiting for Sherlock to kill Magnussen(maybe he knew he would already for John) to rise up again.

June 30, 2016 5:08 pm  #6

All the time...but don't think it's going to happen.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

Board footera