BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 9, 2016 8:08 pm  #1

Episodes - what you like and what you don't like

...paraphrasing John there a bit...

I know we have threads about what is your favorite episode and how you rate them. But if you are anything like me, you find that hard because there are often scenes/moments that I greatly like and dislike in every episode. 

So instead of rating them (which we've done before), I thought I'd like to start a thread where we write a short review of each episode. What did you like, and what didn't you like of all ten episodes? (Eleven if counting MHR).

If this has been done before, I don't mind if the mods just move my post to the existing thread instead. 

Ok, I'll start:

1. A Study in Pink
There is very little about this episode that I don't like. I love this establishing epiosde, and there are many great scenes here. The Angelo scene comes to mind, one of my favorite scenes in the series, I think. Not to mention the way-too-intense-to-watch eyesex. If I were to mention something I don't like, it's Sherlock's needless and selfish cruelty towards the end. However, it suits well as a way to start the character and where Sherlock is going.

2, The Blind Banker
Well, this is quite opposite to the previous one - I find very little I like in this one. I don't like the story, I don't like the way it's told, I don't like the writing at all. There are a few nice scnes with Sherlock and John here, and I do like how Sarah and John are together here. That's about it.

3. The Great Game
I really, really like this one. I like the story and how it unfolds. I like the amazing and important "hero"-fight between Sherlock and John. I think this episode shows Sherlock at his coldest, and at his best, before he starts to develop as a character. John is still struggling to come to terms with it all. Oh, and it introduces Moriarty. At first, I didn't like how Andrew Scott portrayed him as I was expecting Sherlock's nemesis to be like a evil verison of Mycroft - cold, detached, intelligent, arrogant and sophisticated. But I've grown to live this Moriarty.

4. A Scandal in Belgravia
One of my all-time faovirte episodes. I love how this challenges Sherlock's sexuality (or I think it does, anyway). Only thing I dislike about this episode is how John all through the episode is shown to be a great friend to Sherlock, only to be dismissed again and again. That is painful to watch.

5. Hounds of Baskerville
Big contestant to all-time favorite episode for rme. Which is interesting, considering how it was one of my least liked episodes first time around. To me, this episode shows the peak of Sherlock and John's relationship. It also shows John at his very, very best. He no longer struggles with Sherlock being Sherlock, he is strong and secure in himself and in his friendship with Sherlock. I LOVE to watch John in this episode. Also, it's the first time we see a rattled and shaken Sherlock, which is interesting in itself. There are also many great moments here - the hilarious intro, the "showing off"-dialogue which sounds SO relaxed and domestic, as if they've known each other for years, the breakdown scene, the apology scene, the experiment... My only drawback for this episode is that so little of it takes place in Baker Street.

6. The Reichenbach Falls
Here my opinion will differ from many fans, because this is far from my favorite episode. It has some great highlights - how important this story is for the Sherlock narrative and not to mention the greatness of the entire rooftop scene. The rooftop scene alone is amazing, and one of the highlights of the entire series. But apart from those points, I don't like this epiosde much at all. It suffers from the same as the other Thompson-episode (TBB) - too convenient writing and a weak story progression. (In my very personal and subjective view). Also, a story that starts and ends with a crushed John can never be my favorite. Like TGG, I can never watch this one without wanting to immediately watch the first episode of next season to "close" the open cliffhanger.

6.5 Many Happy Returns
Hard to say too much about this small filler. I love seeing what John is doing on his own. I love Anderson here. And of course Sherlock's video. Only drawback is that it's too short.

7. The Empty Hearse
Once again, I stray from most of the fandom. I LOVE this episode. One of my all-time favorites. First thing that comes to mind  is the music. In no other episode am I as aware of the music as in this one - so many awesome themes and tunes! And several are exclusive for this episode (Floating Dust, Vanishing Underground, John is a Nice Guy...).  I love the various "falls", I LOVE the reunion (not for Sherlock being small, but for Martin's acting - which is outstanding in this scene), the music - and so many great scenes. Serbia, John and Mrs Hudson, the reunion, John as a doctor, bonfire, Sherlock's parents, Mycroft and Sherloc, the tube (no matter how horrible Sherlock was)....

8. The Sign of Three
This used to be my favorite episode, before when I was a bit more naive and all I saw was all the fun and fluff of the episode. Now I think it's one of the saddest. Many great scenes, but also many sad ones. And it has the paradox of both Sherlock and John speaking in words what they feel about each other, but at the same time having them being at their most distant. But... the stag night! Omg, the stag night. One of the highlights of the entire series! 

9. His Last Vow
Again I stray from the main fandom. This is not one of my favorite episodes. Sherlock and John are too far apart, they are both too unhappy. The great highlight of this episode is the great mind palace scene - one of the greatest scenes in the series, in my opinion. Absolutely amazing! However, I really dislike the tarmac scene. So incredibly underwhelming, even if you look at then as "just friend". They act as business acquinentances, none of them do their relationship any justice. I don't like it at all.

10. The Abominable Bride
This episode turned out to be way better than I ever thought it would be. I thought it would be a stand-alone. So the moment the plane landed with the Sherlock theme... that was my best geek moment in years! I love all the treats they gave us - the "sex talk", the mind palace, Moriarty, the plane, the hints about Sherlock's past, caring Mycroft, "Elementary, my dear Watson", the Reichenbach Falls... love it! Drawback was Mary being too Mary Sue and just the fact that I'm not that into Victorian Sherlock from the start. But great twist and nice treat.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

June 9, 2016 8:19 pm  #2

Re: Episodes - what you like and what you don't like

Very interesting idea for a thread. Bravo!

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

June 9, 2016 8:31 pm  #3

Interesting thread.
Here are mine:
1.PINK:  I would agree with you about Sherlock's brutality towards the Cabbie, though it does show us what he's capable of. I didn't like Sally at all...but she seems to have improved of late. Myabsolute fave part is the 'dinner' line.
2. The only thing I can think of in BANK is John abandoning the girl. I like the staircase scene, because it goes with the Angelo's cafe scen, I also like Sherlock being tender with Sarah and I also like the 'date' discussion during the book scene as it makes clear John's feelings about his and Sherlock's relationship. I also like the introduction to Seb, but that's only because I read that scene different to everyone else.
3. GG: yes I didn't like John's go at Sherlock, I agreed with Sherlock on this one. Though John certainly gets his own back in later episodes. Love all The pool scene.
4. SCANDAL: never wanted them to do this story(knew they had to), didn't like the portrayal of Irene(though knew there was little else they could do with her), didn't like her involvement with Sherlock. Can't think of what to say I like...oh I didn't want them to do the hat either, but it works. Oh, love The Palace scene!
5. HOUND: can't really think of anything I don't like...
6. TRF: just don't like Sherlock not confiding in John...but understand why. Love The Rooftop.
7: TEH: really didn't want them to have John hitting Sherlock, but it is funny and works. Really didn't want Mary brought in(but knew they had to), but now I've got to like her being around and I may even get to miss her. My fave bit is Greg hugging Sherlock and every single time I say: that's what John should have done.
8. SOT: Really didn't want them to do the wedding, knew they would- easy telly. But they did it very well. Really didn't want them to do a stag night, but again, it works. Love The hug and every single time I say: 3 f-g series we waited for that hug.
9. HLV: I was sad CAM went and Mary stayed. I've got used to Mary now and I guess we'll get a new super villain.I DID love the thought of more Moriarty...but not so sure now!
10. TAB: my fave ep and I can't think of anything I dislike...except maybe proving no more Moriarty.

Sorry, didn't include Many Happy Returns...think I've only seen it once or twice. I did like it and it set up nicely for TEH, Horrible to see sad John and I feel sorry for Anderson!

Oh and sorry I completely misread the title...I just thought it was what we didn't like!
I will edit accordingly!

Last edited by besleybean (June 9, 2016 8:42 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

June 9, 2016 11:05 pm  #4

Fun subject!  And I'm amazed that each of us has different favorites.  It's fascinating!

A Study in Pink
Wonderful opening episode.  Don't have anything that I dislike.  It's all so well-rounded and perfectly done.  Love the entire ending with the cabbie and Sherlock not being able to resist considering taking the pill.  Favorite moment, hard to pick only one---but let's say the drugs bust scene, the look Sherlock gives John when John says "I don't think you will find anything you could consider recreational."

The Blind Banker
Well, like many people I think this is the weakest episode of the entire regular series, though I may not dislike it as much as some other people.  I still watch it and enjoy it, but I think Soo Lin's monolog at the museum is so haltingly done, that on rewatch it seems to drag a bit in this otherwise always so fast-paced show.  Don't like that the black lotos blossoms left at the crime scenes are basically disregarded in dialog, like a piece they built in and then forgot to really incorporate.  Don't like that Sarah, who is such a strong woman, and even hits one of the bad guys with a pipe at the circus brawl is suddenly reduced to a hysteric & paralyzed damsel in distress, only to appear all smiles a moment later after rescue...just didn't fit at all.

I do think this episode actually advances our understanding of our two main characters quite a bit:

Sherlock has no regard of personal property, by taking John's laptop, but doesn't carry a grudge either when John takes it so abruptly away from him.  He's generous by immediately telling John to take his debit card when John tells him about being broke.  We see in this episode that Sherlock rarely tries to justify or explain himself (for the people that still cannot believe why he hasn't told John about why he jumped off the building in "Reichenbach"---here's a hint that he just NEVER justifies himself):  When John complains about Sherlock "just sitting there all morning" he doesn't tell him that he was actually in a big fight with a potential client and hides the clue (sword) that is witness to that fight.  He does not tell John either that he almost got strangled to death while being in Soo Lin's apartment.  Sherlock also shows his ignorance or distrust of other people being able to help in his work---never tries to listen to John when he wants to convey info he's found out (lucky cat, vanished graffiti on the wall), dismissed Sarah as useless when she actually discovers the decoded cypher words.

John displays his interest in having a life aside from living at Baker Street (dating Sarah), shows that he can be a moody living companion at times, shows that he many times WILL be guided by Sherlock's suggestions (circus tickets).

So still a very interesting episode concerning the relationship side of things.

The Great Game
Another awesome, well-rounded episode.  Nothing I dislike and many, many wonderful scenes, including that wonderful grammar lesson session in Belarus---and the "domestic" between John and Sherlock at Baker Street.  Slight abandoning of story details, such as the detail of the envelope being "Bohemian", which really didn't tie into anything and didn't make sense later on...

A Scandal in Belgravia

Love that episode.  In my eyes perfect from beginning to end in story-telling.  Favorite scenes (cannot do only one) would be the one of Sherlock coming back to Baker Street and realizing Mrs. Hudson's "abduction", the entire buckingham palace scene and Sherlock & Mycroft smoking at the morgue.  Minor beef: Wish they would have been more careful to match up Sherlock's violin play with the actual melody.

The Hounds of Baskerville
Second least favorite episode, though I still love it immensely.  Just don't like the theme as much on rewatches with Henry's delusional stuff.  But there's so many awesome scenes in this one to enjoy.  Favorite being Sherlock's fake apology coffee.  Love the moor scene, especially when Sherlock and Henry encounter the dog first time around, what an awesome camera shot.

The Reichenbach Fall
I don't mind the storyline, remember feeling Johns uncomfortability first time watching myself...everything's closing in on Sherlock.  Favorite scene, John joining Sherlock in hand-cuffs during the arrest and the little smile Sherlock gives him---the finale is the best thing in TV history and I enjoy watching this episode immensely every time.  Martin Freeman's entire performance of witnessing the fall and then grieving at the cemetary is still drawing tears every time.  Simply amazing.

Third season as entire season is my favorite

Many Happy Returns.
Love this little clever teaser and adore the scene were John watches the Sherlock Birthday video greeting.

The Empty Hearse
Love this episode.  Sherlock's return could not have been put on screen any better and again Martin Freeman's performance floors me.  Love the different "fall" theories and have peacefully accepted the third one as the true one.  Enjoy Mary immensely, including her instant rapport with Sherlock and actually think the "forgiveness" bomb scene is clever and totally works.  Favorite moment:  Mrs. Hughes raving about Sherlock sitting at Baker Street in his chair---gives me the warm and fuzzies.

The Sign of Three
Obviously the most comedic episode of them all.  None of th elements used are new, but all are written and played to perfection and I love every minute of it.  Sherlock leaving the wedding at the end tears your heart out but is also such a realistically written moment that I revere. Favorite moments, really everything, but I'll pick the park bench scene...so typically Sherlock & John, and the wonderful moment of jealousy when Sherlock talks to Mary about John's admiration of Sholto: "no wonder he's bouncing around him like a puppy."

His Last Vow
My least favorite episode of season 3 and that only because they picked an awesome villain.  CAM is so creepy and gross that I can barely stand to watch him which is the only reason why it's not as much a favorite.  LOL  I do love the entire storyline, and love the multiple twists. Find the entire Shooting/Mind Palace moment wonderfully put on screen.  Favorite scene, hard to pick only one, is the Sherlock Mycroft smoking scene outside their parents home.  I actually love the Sherlock/John goodbye moment by the airplane.  I think it's so moving and I totally didn't need John and Sherlock to hug.  They hugged at the wedding, they know how they feel about each other.  John knows Sherlock doesn't really like physical contact, so why would he force him into a hug when this is hard enough as is and Sherlock does not tell him that this might be his death sentence, because he doesn't want to burden his friend with that news---rather he tries to make a joke to lighten the mood.  They both do for each other what caring, really close friends would do.  I find it beautiful.  I know not everybody agrees...so that's just my take.

The abominable Bride
Well, I was one that didn't really like this one upon first viewing.  These beloved characters belong into the 21st century for me and it's odd to me seeing them in victorian setting and costumes.  I found everything actually much less funny in this world and I thought Watson seemed to be much more moody and despirited than in the modern setting.  Of course half-way through we find out the "all in Sherlock's mind" twist, which in hind-sight then makes a difference in assessment.

However, I still say my appreciation of the episode rather lies in the analytics of why it was written the way it is and what it may mean concerning Sherlock's subconciousness, than as actual straightout entertainment.  And this although the scenes, settings, costumes, everything looks absolutely wonderful.  Favorite scene---the Reichenbach falls.  They did this absolutely awesome.  Most touching quote to me is: "Helps me if I see myself through his eyes sometimes.  I'm so much cleverer."

Wow, that's it....strangely I wrote much more about my not so favorite episodes than the favorite ones...

Last edited by Settercrazy (June 9, 2016 11:21 pm)

I lost count

June 21, 2016 6:55 pm  #5

Thought I'd be bold enough to bump my own thread - anyone else have their mini reviews and thoughts about each episode they want to share?

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

June 21, 2016 7:32 pm  #6

I certainly woul post my thoughts on these very soon. I was just busy until now. 

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

June 21, 2016 8:42 pm  #7

Reading your reviews guys is so much fun! It's like reliving the eps again

1. A Study in Pink
The best thing I love about the first season is how boyish and flamboyant John and Sherlock still are here. I watch ASiP if I need to cheer up. Also, I still remember thinking when watching for the first time how shockingly beautiful Sherlock looked in that ep (He's still beautiful in later eps but I'm not so easily shocked anymore, lol.)
Mass-texting in the beginning bothered me because it seemed far-fetched. Also, the girlfriend/boyfriend convo seemed to be too much "in your face" at first but I've long since put it in the context so it's all fine now
I also LOVED Mycroft's introduction. I came to Sherlock totally unprepared and unspoiled and thought Mark played Moriarty! Still love following his and John's exchanges and seeing how Moftiss have tricked me That was an awesome twist. A very clever writing imo.

2. The Blind Banker
I found the story line a little annoying because apparently every show needs a China town ep. Loved the architecture porn tho.

3. The Great Game
Loved the storyline, the evil plan, the tension! The Andy West story felt too much like a B-plot tho. Loved Gay Jim, what a wonderful way to introduce Moriarty.

4. A Scandal in Belgravia
Love this ep to bits, it's my favorite one mainly because of the game Sherlock and Irene are playing. (Has anybody seen Voyager's Counterpoint? The same battle of intellects *happy sigh*)
So many delicious twists! "I AM SHERLOCKED" came completely unexpected even tho I'd seen such tee-shirts on many conventions. The ending made me very happy too - for girly reasons, but also because it made the ep so perfectly symmetrical. Symmetry was extremely enjoyable throughout the whole ep, beginning with the main players' actions (dressing up for the battle, studying photographic evidence...) and finishing with the perfectly symmetrical shots in the Palace.
There's simply no end to the beauty of this ep. It's also cheeky and sexy and Mycroft teases Sherlock and.... "Aaaahhh!...", if you allow me to quote The Woman

5. Hounds of Baskerville
Loved scared Sherlock - he's the definite highlight here. The experiment in the lab was scary but I loved it too! (poor John, evil me)
I didn't like how far-fetched the modern take on the story is. Just can't believe the storytelling. Ah well.

6. The Reichenbach Falls
Ah, Moriarty's best game, his final game. Loved the cleverness of his plot.
Lots of favorite scenes, but the whole Sinnerman sequence stands out for me, especially how Sherlock looks at John in the mirror when they are dressing for the court. Scenes with Molly here are my favorite Molly scenes too.
Also love Sherlock's bloodied hair when the body is turned around - the texture seems to make the whole tragedy too real!
The decision to show us alive Sherlock in the end makes me love Moftiss despite everything they may and may have not done.

6.5 Many Happy Returns
Ah, the video cuts so cleverly into John's lines. There's nothing what's not to like about this ep

The third season is so heart-wrenching and I do love a good drama. The characters are very different already and the whole show seems more serious now. It's also most empathically not a story about solving crimes anymore.

7. The Empty Hearse
I had very high expectations here and Moftiss delivered. I liked the way they dealed with the fall theories, the reunion(s) (I just knew John would become violent), the multiple nods to the fandom.
Can't warm up towards the whole nonfire scene (incl. Sherlock riding that bike), tho.

8. The Sign of Three
Didn't like this ep at all at first but learned to appreciate it because it's not really about the wedding, right? Mary is the wonderful plot device that allowed TPTB to show us Sherlock and John in situations otherwise unthinkable.
Since I never really drink any alcohol, I thought that the stag night was a little too drawn out - I could live without having seen puking Sherlock, but the whole elaborate set-up was hilarious otherwise.
The "don't like" list is actually quite long here: I didn't like Sholto (yep, didn't!), didn't like the Mayfly man mystery and the way the storytelling kept switching between the cases and the wedding, altho I figure that couldn't have been helped.

9. His Last Vow
CAM is the best. Too bad he had to go, but the ploys and twists also showed the depth of Sherlock's devotion to John so emotionally it's my favorite ep. Loved little Sherlock crying inside. Oh, the best angst ever!
The whole Janine story was great too, beginning with my and John's surprise and ending with "Just once would have been nice"
Also, the image of Sherlock on the plane, leaving forever and almost crying, has etched itself into my retinas.

This is why I loved the twist of...

10. The Abominable Bride
... so much
The first hints were like 5 minutes in and my brain kept collecting the idiosyncrasies until the plane landed. Ah, happy times!
I wasn't able to believe the amount of goodies dished out for the fanbase to feast upon.
I was also great meeting all the characters from the modern version again and differently, Molly being the best imo
My nitpick is the feminist theme, I thought it was over the top and the whole chanting-in-cloaks thing didn't work for me at all.

-----
"The posh boy loves the dominatrix." Context matters.

Board footera