BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 19, 2016 10:11 am  #1

The Blacklist

On my daughter's recommendation (she has an eye for the special) I started watching this show. I can now blame her entirely for being completely, utterly hooked by it. What could, at first sight, appear to be merely a vehicle for a pretty much standard police procedural is, in fact, anything but that.

The whole basic premise is wonderfully unique. Despite the occasional implausibilities it is just a great, great show. The characters, the complexity of plot, the slow reveals and story arcs,  the humour (laugh aloud FUNNY), the acting...makes this something very special indeed.

James Spader in the lead role of the criminal turned FBI informant Raymond 'Red' Reddington, is just mesmerising. The development and portrayal of his complex character is simply captivating. By turns callous, comedic, philosophical, kind, well-read, passionate.....and above all very, very clever. I just love his clothes and hats too...if you watch it you will see what I mean.

All the other acting is strong and the role of Lizzie Keen is well played by Megan Boone. A nice mix of gender and ethnicity in this cast too! The writing of this show is really solid and the plot lines and story arcs are very, very well thought out. The counterbalance of humour against what would/could be a very bleak offering. When you get Oscar winners and other top-notch actors appearing in a series you know it is a good thing! I'll add that the camerawork is also excellent and the use of music, the choice of certain tracks in particular raises the game in various ways: sometimes ironically, sometimes to comic effect and sometimes deeply emotionally moving.

I also admire that the writers have not shied away from what can be seen as areas of great sensitivity (especially but not solely for the US) such as CIA involvement in illegal acts, the callous attitude of big business and corporations towards other countries and their people, the multiplicity of governmental and agency cover-ups etc. Uncomfortable watching for some, I would think.

The way in which difficult choices, loyalty, philosophy and indeed what makes a good man good and a bad man bad (and how can you judge either) makes this anything but a run-of-the-mill procedural. If the brain is engaged while watching this show, there is much to be gained from it. Deeply, deeply touching and emotionally moving at times. Dealing with love, family, loyalty, protection, what events make us into what we are, redemption, guilt etc...Watch this if you possibly can. (I would add that it is a violent show at times and it also has events and elements which may be distressing to some).

Anyhow, I have wittered on long enough about this little passion of mine. If anyone else has watched it perhaps you would let me know what you think. If you haven't, well gosh, I can thoroughly recommend it.

Last edited by Davina (January 19, 2016 10:15 am)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

January 23, 2016 3:14 pm  #2

Re: The Blacklist

Seriously folks....no one....??? You are missing an absolute corker!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

February 22, 2016 11:26 pm  #3

Season 3 second half starts this Friday in the UK. This show has been nominated and has won various awards such as Golden Globes, Emmys...just to give you the hint again that it really is worth watching. If for nothing else than the tremendous performance given by Mr. James Spader.

June 17, 2016 8:06 pm  #4

Anyone? Season 3 finished. Astonishingly good show. I've even watch even watched it dubbed into German on the DVDs I bought. If you like shows that are NOT just procedural a and actually challenge you intellectually (let alone the acting and writing) then you are depriving yourself of a gem if you do not watch this.

Board footera