BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 12, 2016 2:01 pm  #1

The Robinsons

I couldn't find a thread for this, so I thought I would start a new one.

Anyone seen this series? It's a BBC sit-com from 2005 that only lasted one season (six episodes). It revolves around a family (The Robinsons). An eldery mum and dad with three grown-up children - two brothers and one sister. Martin plays the younger brother and is the narrator and main character of the show. 

The parents hate each other and do little but bitter bickering between themselves. The oldest brother is... well, if they had made a Mycroft-ish character purely as comic relief, I reckon it would be something like him. (And funnily enough, he's interested in bees and beekeeping). The sister is a perfectionist interior designer who always struggle with men in various ways. Martin is sort of the most normal one of them all, His love life is non-existent, his job is boring and he goes through the series trying to figure out who he is and what he wants to do with his life. (Funnily enough, Amanda plays his ex-wife, and has a small role almost throughout the entire series, mostly in flashbacks).

It's quite raunchy,and the siblings seem to have no filter when it comes to what they are willing to tell each other about their sexual relations and experiences. 

So it's a typical British black humour kind of thing. I found it surprisingly funny, and really enjoyed it. At first I thought it was sad that it was only one season, but on second thought I think that's a good thing. Because if they had continued, it could very qucikly become repetitive. With six episodes it was the perfect length, becuase it remained funny. Or so I think anyway.

The entire series is available on YouTube. I won't link to it as I doubt it's legal, but a quick search is all you need if you want to give it a go. I thought the series was refreshing and funny, and Martin shines as always.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

June 12, 2016 2:02 pm  #2

Re: The Robinsons

No, not aware of it, but looks interesting!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

June 12, 2016 3:46 pm  #3

I had not heard of it either.  I see Hugh Bonneville is in it, too! 

Clueing for looks.

June 12, 2016 3:48 pm  #4

Yes, he plays Martin (Ed)'s older brother.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Team Hudders!

June 12, 2016 4:06 pm  #5

As with Sherlock, I would probably only watch it for Martin.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

June 12, 2016 4:09 pm  #6

Oh, yes, I only watched it for Martin to begin with. But I found the other characters great fun too. 

Team Hudders!

Board footera