BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 8, 2016 5:00 pm  #241

Re: Mycroft Holmes

Lola Red wrote:

What I find intriguing about Mycroft is that I do not for one moment doubt that he truly loves his little brother, yet I also believe Sherlock when he says that Mycroft is “the most dangerous man [anyone] will ever meet”. I can see Mycroft setting up “Moriarty”, and in a weird and twisted way he would be doing it for his brother’s benefit, to safe him from himself by offering the perfect distraction (and taking out a criminal network in the meantime). In my mind it would fit with a man who once filled a whole plane with stolen corpses and called it “neat”.

qnakahara: I would watch that show 

Yes, exactly.  Been appreciating all the discussion, but aside from some of their demeanor emphasized for humor or dramatic effect, not sure how to take the brothers either, sometimes, or put it into words.  That's a good way of putting it though, and I still believe he's not completely 'bad', just unfortunately simultaneously loves his brother, but willing to 'use' as a resource.

And just for something else lighthearted, I'm sure some of us would also watch this show!
http://thediogenes.tumblr.com/mycroft

(posting just the link here, for the three 'episodes' listed on it, plus extras)

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

May 12, 2016 7:32 pm  #242

This is quite an interesting observation regarding Mycroft and his dealings with the CIA:

http://gosherlocked.tumblr.com/post/144259832841/about-agents-and-ex-agents

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

May 12, 2016 7:35 pm  #243

I just always assumed the UK and U.S govs had been working together on the flight of the dead.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

May 13, 2016 8:53 am  #244

Well, we know since ASIP that Mycroft is not only the British Government, but also the British Secret Service and the CIA on a freelance basis. In and by itself the fact that he works with them is thus not surprising. What is surprising is that Mycroft apparently either has limited control over his American branch, or he consciously sends them after Sherlock.
If Mycroft=Moriarty, then what we see in ASIB might be part of the plan to keep Sherlock entertained. If Mary is one of his agents, it might explain his lack of action against her. But if neither is true, Mycroft's power to keep his brother safe might be severely compromised.

****************************************************************************************************************************************
We balance probabilities and choose the most likely. It is the scientific use of the imagination.    

May 13, 2016 4:21 pm  #245

I don't think the show will end that soon!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

June 3, 2016 1:55 pm  #246

Just dropping this in here, not sure where's best to post it really~

I was just rewatching ASiB this little exchange finally made sense to me:

"There was a man," Irene begins, "An M.O.D. official. I knew what he liked. One of the things he liked was showing off." She glances briefly up from her phone to give Sherlock a pointed look.

"He told me this email was going to save the world." (Speaking of the snippet of 'code' [plane seat assignments] on her phone.) "He didn't know it but I photographed it. He was a bit tied up at the time."

That last sentence was spoken matter-of-factly, and the camera didn't cut to show anyone's reaction. It didn't sound like she was being coy with this remark, unusual for miss "I misbehave" Adler, who'd been laying on the flirty act almost every other line so far.

When Sherlock decyphers the message, Irene quietly sends it off to Moriarty. Having read a bit about M-Theory lately, I finally think I understand what all this means.

Moriarty used Irene to win his little tug-of-war with Mycroft, who despite "having his hands tied" in the spider's web and forced by the criminal to drive Sherlock into his agent's (Irene's) path, was still trying to do the right thing and protect the country (and his little brother). But before Irene crossed Sherlock's path, she first crossed Mycroft's...

Indeed, Moriarty had told her how to play both the Holmes boys.

Last edited by GimmeCat (June 3, 2016 1:59 pm)

Doomsteady on AO3 & Tumblr

June 10, 2016 12:14 pm  #247

I do think it's a shame Mycroft is involved in so many tedious serious political games. If he for once had a free hand, he could do all these terrifying things on his mind and show off his dangerous side, and it would be great fun to watch!

I wonder what Mycroft's motivation is, for his job I mean. It seems he doesn't enjoy pulling strings in the political game very much. He always appears hand-tied, compromised by "duties", and in general, he doesn't seem a happy person. And all that worry 'bout little bro.
Sometimes I even believe Mycroft would enjoy to blow off NATO in alphabetical order. Or, at least, he would enjoy a very similar scenario on the side of the angels.
Often I think he is just like Sherlock - he wants to toy with the danger, and he is no moral white sheet. But he doesn't give in to the pull, like Sherlock does. And that's why he stays put. I could even imagine he envies Sherlock and his "legwork"... but never allows himself to indulge.

Why doesn't he find himself a Mary? Some danger close to home, to make life interesting? If I think about it... why doesn't he find himself Mary? *duh* There could lie the ultimate reason for his way of not getting involved in the Mary business...

"It is what it is."

June 10, 2016 12:59 pm  #248

IMO Mycroft doesn't want to find goldfish/Mary/anybody for the risk of getting attached. And if you are attached/involved emotionally, you have a marvelous pressing point, your enemies can use against you. (Was watching Coriolanus NTL encore the other day, and at the end I almost heard Mycroft's voice: caring is not an advantage, dear.) Through the show we have seen many people who were manipulated because of their loved ones. Like the people at Moriarty's trial. CAM was putting pressure on Lady Smallwood using her husband, etc.
Mycroft cares for Sherlock. That's a full time job.

June 10, 2016 2:05 pm  #249

But I think, if he already cares for Sherlock, he's already gone there. CAM can blackmail him, so that's done.

It's like with Sherlock... he already has John, big pressure point. So the drugs, or Redbeard, or whatever really... doesn't matter. He's involved, in many ways. As long as he doesn't detach himself from all of these, it doesn't matter so much he's got one. One is enough to make you vulnerable.

Mycroft is already vulnerable because he cares for Sherlock. He is already at risk. He is attached. Anyone can use it against him - as we see.

"It is what it is."

June 10, 2016 4:42 pm  #250

Let's hope not.

June 10, 2016 6:13 pm  #251

Whisky wrote:

Mycroft is already vulnerable because he cares for Sherlock. He is already at risk. He is attached. Anyone can use it against him - as we see.

Well, this is a thing he had not much control over, but he might think that one pressure point is enough. At least it what I would think...

Board footera