BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 26, 2012 4:27 am  #21

Re: RAT. WEDDING. BOW.

Or  BEAUX   as in  suitor  for a beautiful female.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

August 26, 2012 4:29 am  #22

Lupin wrote:

Well, bow could be bow as in "His Last Bow", the last adventure of Sherlock Holmes chronologically, taking place during World War I. This would be fitting if the episode is meant to be the end of the series.

I just watched that video with Motiss and Andrew Scott, and Gatiss said he thought Sherlock could go on for another 160 years *laugh, laugh, chuckle, chuckle, hahahahaha*  I don't think anyone's talking about the end yet; at least, that's the feeling I got from Gatiss in that vid.

Last edited by ancientsgate (August 26, 2012 4:59 am)

August 26, 2012 4:31 am  #23

Lupin wrote:

WEDDING:

Wedding could be The Noble Bachelor where the groom disappears, leaving the bride at the altar. It could also be a reference to The Sign of the Four, where John meets Mary, and this leads to John's wedding. It could also reference The Illustrious Client, though A Scandal in Belgravia had a reference to this case in the meeting between Sherlock and the liaison.

There's also The Solitary Cyclist, which has a sham wedding in the end, as well as The Disappearance of Lady Frances Carfax, but it's more of a tangential reference to a wedding.

I think the creators goal is to reference each case in the canon either directly, by basing the episode on it, or indirectly through colorful references.

Don't forget A Case of Identity!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Initials SH and proud owner of a viola named Watson.

Potential flatmates should know the worst about each other.

It's a three patch problem.

I didn't know; I saw.

August 26, 2012 4:33 am  #24

As far as His Last Bow goes, there should be a drinking game: Every time Conan Doyle says "This is the LAST SHERLOCK HOLMES STORY EVAR" before a volume, you take a shot.

First to pass out has to watch Elementary until they melt.

(Maybe Moftiss will troll us like this for twenty years. I certainly hope so.)

Last edited by Smoggy_London_Air (August 26, 2012 4:34 am)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Initials SH and proud owner of a viola named Watson.

Potential flatmates should know the worst about each other.

It's a three patch problem.

I didn't know; I saw.

August 26, 2012 4:54 am  #25

You know what's interesting? Andrew Scott sitting there talking about Moriarty in the present tense, only to have Gatiss immediately correct him, to have him change his statement about Moriarty to the past tense. And then they all laughed. Hmmm. I've said all along that I don't believe Moriarty is dead-- I won't pretend to know how that could be, but this is the same show that had its hero fling himself off a 70 foot rooftop and live to stalk Mrs. H and John in the cemetery later, so.... anything's possible.

Last edited by ancientsgate (August 26, 2012 5:00 am)

August 26, 2012 4:55 am  #26

The Doctor wrote:

But didn't they tell the plane fangirl they wouldn't marry John?

And could the bow be a violin bow? (which, indeed, could be about any story)

In the video, Andrew Scott corrected the interviewer when she pronounced it bow, like a violin bow. It's bow, like an actor's bow. In Britspeak, the difference isn't as pronounced as it is in Americanspeak, lol, but anyway, AS did correct her. It's bow, like the final bow.

August 26, 2012 6:54 am  #27

Interesting words.
Now comparing the references he gave us for the last series, there's a strong chance that these words are self explanatory. They were also in order last time, I'll assume for the moment that they are this time also.

Rat- I'd say Boscombe Valley Mystery would be a fair bet for several reasons.
Wedding - Sign of four? I initially thought "Milverton" but there was never a wedding.
Bow - Last Bow, but that adds some kind of finality in a way. Yep, BOW also could mean the bow of a ship, but why would that be used?

I've not really had time to digest these words. I might refrain from saying more until I observe more.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

August 26, 2012 10:45 am  #28

The idea suggested above of Bow = Beau. Gatiss and Moffat could have a great deal of fun with that. But sadly the pronunciation is wrong.

Last edited by JaneCo (August 27, 2012 11:12 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

August 26, 2012 2:41 pm  #29

Oh I didn't know that you pronounce bow as in violin bow differently. Seems I've missed that correction bit from the interview.
Good to know

Hm of course they could just take elements from His Last Bow for the episode, without it being the end of Sherlock. I remember that
Moffat once promised that series 3 would end in another cliff-hanger, after all

--------------------------------------------------
Crime in Progress. Please Disturb.

August 26, 2012 4:31 pm  #30

Chrissi wrote:

Oh I didn't know that you pronounce bow as in violin bow differently. Seems I've missed that correction bit from the interview.
Good to know

Hm of course they could just take elements from His Last Bow for the episode, without it being the end of Sherlock. I remember that
Moffat once promised that series 3 would end in another cliff-hanger, after all

Bow is a really confusing English word, one with two distinct pronunciations. Violin bow, a gift bow, an arrow's bow are all pronounced the same. A ship's bow and an actor's bow are pronounced alike, the same as a tree bough, confusingly enough. *rolls eyes*

August 26, 2012 4:56 pm  #31

There a some canon stories where ships feature. I hadn't thought about violin bow.  How did Moftiss pronounce the bow when they announced it?

Last edited by Davina (August 26, 2012 4:57 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

August 26, 2012 5:46 pm  #32

Like in "now". Each said a word, Mark had "rat", Steve "wedding" and Andrew even spelled "bow" so there's no room for "beaux".

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

August 26, 2012 5:59 pm  #33

SusiGo wrote:

Like in "now". Each said a word, Mark had "rat", Steve "wedding" and Andrew even spelled "bow" so there's no room for "beaux".

He also corrected the interviewer gal's pronunciation, when she tried to say bow, like a bow on a gift. He said, no it's bow (saying it correctly) and then spelled it. As in an actor's bow, a final bow.

August 26, 2012 7:20 pm  #34

So if it is pronounced like an actor's bow, then it's probably referring to "His Last Bow." However, like Chrissi said, that doesn't nessicarily mean it's the end of Sherlock, as Moftiss did say they were going to have another cliffhanger at the end of series 3. Although I think their current contract only goes through the end of series 3, so maybe it will be the end. I certainly hope it isn't...

August 26, 2012 9:01 pm  #35

KeepersPrice wrote:

It's been a while since I read the canon.  Isn't there some story that has a Giant Rat of Sumatra, or am I thinking of something else.....

Yes it has to be a reference the story Sherlock never wanted told The Giant Rat of Sumatra. As for the wedding I still predict Watson will marry Siobhan Moran unaware she is an evil villain.

Disguise is always a self portrait

August 26, 2012 10:14 pm  #36

Hello there...

Freshly back from Edinburgh where I sat and watched the gang say these mysterious words. It is indeed bow as in take a bow not bow as in bow ties are cool.

My initial thoughts were these:

"Wedding"
Casual readers of the canon and practically everyone in this fandom knows about John's marriage to Mary Morstan, therefore I really don't think it's that. My first thought and the one I'm sticking to is Charles Augustus Milverton (might I add that whilst talking to Mark Gatiss afterwards he said Milverton was a wonderful bad guy and would be really easy to adapt).

"Rat"
The words Sumatran Rat suddenly hit me from somewhere then I remembered a Sumatran rat was featured in Sussex Vampire and there's also a non-canon story involving a Sumatran rat.

"Bow"
Too early to be retiring Sherlock to the Sussex downs but possibly a story from the collection collectively known as His Last Bow - includes some great stories I'd love to see them do - Dying Detective, Cardboard Box, Lady Frances.

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

August 27, 2012 3:13 am  #37

sherlockskitty wrote:

ok   those three words make less sense than WOMAN, HOUND,  FALL

That seems to be pretty much the point, TPTB are far too aware of how clever we are and will seek to leave us in the dark as much as possible!

August 27, 2012 4:46 am  #38

When you think back to the 'catchcry' of series 2 :Woman, Hound, fall; these words easily relate to the 3 shows we saw.
Nothing except paranoia would indicate these new words to mean anything more than a direct reference to the 3 stories being used so I don't see too much mystery surrounding this. HOW they adapt the stories will be the mystery.

We haven't seen an 'mentioned but unwritten' story being used as a major part of any show so far, so I am dubious about the Sumatra Rat one. The 'rat' in Boscombe Valley however was a clue where the meaning was obscure at first and that premise has been used before.

And 'bow' could mean many things in relation to a last bow; there's no need to assume (wrongly & hysterically I believe) that it signals an end to these shows whatsoever.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

August 27, 2012 1:29 pm  #39

kazza474 wrote:

there's no need to assume (wrongly & hysterically I believe) that it signals an end to these shows whatsoever.

That's what Moftiss want us to believe. You know how they love to mess with the fandom's minds!

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

August 27, 2012 4:13 pm  #40

too many threads on this one topic?   hmmmm.   hello, sweetie.   take a bow.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

Board footera