BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 8, 2016 10:39 am  #21

Re: Just stumbled upon this article

Concerning Johnlock, I couldn't agree more.

I enjoy Johnlock as a fun outlet. I love the fanfic. I love toying with the thought of Johnlock in the show - sometimes. I don't give a damn if it doesn't happen though. I'd like to run away when someone shouts "it's endgame because it's the onky way things make sense".

I don't know how to put this without offending, because choosing the right words is difficult for me in a non native language: I do feel like a minority when I'm not a Johnlock supporter. And I don't always feel it's a respected minority within fandom. Because Johnlock became so huge. I'm not speaking of this forum specifically, but I've had feelings like this here, too.
It's one of the reasons I toy with Johnlock - it's more fun to take part than to silently watch. I confess that.
But if left on my own, I'm not sure I'd go there, and if, not in such agressive ways.
Trying to make myself understood without offending...

And coming back to the article, I can understand why fandoms are critizised that harshly. And of course, if it comes to real life threats, it's even worse. But I find these things start small.

Last edited by Whisky (June 8, 2016 10:43 am)

"It is what it is."

June 8, 2016 10:42 am  #22

Again, you are being much more diplomatic than I would be.
Forum rules do not allow me to explore this.
But for me, Johnlock belief and conversion have parallels with other areas of human experience.
For a start, I'm not a fan of conspiracy theories.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

June 8, 2016 10:52 am  #23

@beasleaybean
Not wanting to go very far offtopic, but I wouldn't call it conspiracy because that sounds jugding to me. I would say I'm no fan of such large groups pursuing a certain belief in (partly) aggressive ways.

"It is what it is."

June 8, 2016 11:50 am  #24

I was referring to The Johnlock Conspiracy.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

June 8, 2016 7:08 pm  #25

Apologies! I looked it up now - I wasn't aware they call it Conspiracy themselves...

Well, then I obviously get your point. I guess it's meant in a funny way though.

Last edited by Whisky (June 8, 2016 7:14 pm)

"It is what it is."

June 8, 2016 7:30 pm  #26

Whisky wrote:

I enjoy Johnlock as a fun outlet. I love the fanfic. I love toying with the thought of Johnlock in the show - sometimes. I don't give a damn if it doesn't happen though. I'd like to run away when someone shouts "it's endgame because it's the onky way things make sense".

I don't know how to put this without offending, because choosing the right words is difficult for me in a non native language: I do feel like a minority when I'm not a Johnlock supporter. And I don't always feel it's a respected minority within fandom. Because Johnlock became so huge. I'm not speaking of this forum specifically, but I've had feelings like this here, too.
It's one of the reasons I toy with Johnlock - it's more fun to take part than to silently watch. I confess that.
But if left on my own, I'm not sure I'd go there, and if, not in such agressive ways.
Trying to make myself understood without offending...

I don't think what you said is offensive, and I know what you mean.  I said in another topic just yesterday, essentially, that a lot of good fanfiction for Sherlock happens to also be Johnlock, so it's essentially become pretty much unavoidable if I want to read the good stuff.  But I don't think it's the only way things could go even though I have seen a lot of people say that "x" "y" and "z" events etc. are proof that it will happen. I don't think it's the only way it could go, and I don't see it as having to go that way, even though if it did I would be just fine with it and enjoy the show just as much as I always have.

But ultimately as long as we are all enjoying this show I don't think it's a bad thing for people to have certain things that they see differently than other fans do, because that's part of enjoying art - everyone sees things a little differently and that's part of what makes it interesting.

Clueing for looks.

June 8, 2016 8:36 pm  #27

Whisky wrote:

And coming back to the article, I can understand why fandoms are critizised that harshly. And of course, if it comes to real life threats, it's even worse. But I find these things start small.

I find the article bizarre because it makes sweeping generalisations and often mixes apples with oranges for no reason. According to it:

Once you are a fan you are automatically having a sense of entitlement and sending death threats to creators. No exception.
That´s why even writing fanfiction is suddenly bad. (Writing fanfiction is a creative process and a kind of an active communication with an original text which is not ever aimed at replacing a canon it toys with, but because it is produced by those bad, bad fans, it MUST be pathological somehow.)
One coffee-shop fanfiction exists therefore every fanfiction is like this. And no fanfiction is based on action or conflict or a good drama, of course.
Bringing AC Doyle into this is bizarre, because:
Those entitled fans were the ones who forced Doyle to revive the character of Holmes and thus revived all the franchise, which is popular even today, with it. Another crazy group, Baker Street Irregulars, ensured the popularity of this material for 120 years. Oh, what a catastrophe! If not for those weirdos, we could have "nothing" instead of the fandom now and we could spend this nice summer evening knitting or having another more usefull hobby. Wouldn´t it be wonderful?

For all its moans and groans about consumerism, I have an impression that a docile consumerist who just feasts on any product a corporation serves to him and never asks questions, is the author´s ideal.

I don´t know why Mark retweeted the thing, but if he agrees with the fanfiction bit, it´s strange because some of his own work (Agatha Christie adaptations, Sherlock) is esentially a fanfiction too.
Also, if he is bothered by having fans, he should say so, so that people can act according to that and stop being fans of his work. It´s as simple as that.

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

June 8, 2016 9:08 pm  #28

Yitzock wrote:

But ultimately as long as we are all enjoying this show I don't think it's a bad thing for people to have certain things that they see differently than other fans do, because that's part of enjoying art - everyone sees things a little differently and that's part of what makes it interesting.

What a wonderful statement. I whole-heartedly agree with you. :-)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

June 9, 2016 6:41 am  #29

I agree too.
It's the entitlement thing that is an issue, but we have discussed this.

Board footera