BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 8, 2016 2:18 pm  #3861

Re: Mary – the subject of discussion

Of course not.
But they have dealt with it and moved on.
Unless you think John is lying?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

June 8, 2016 2:41 pm  #3862

In my opinion they haven't really dealt with anything.  Right now they are simply ignoring Mary's past.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

June 8, 2016 3:00 pm  #3863

Agreed. I'm sure (okay, I hope) it would go against Mark's and Steven's pride as authors to just leave it at that...

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

June 8, 2016 3:11 pm  #3864

SolarSystem wrote:

Agreed. I'm sure (okay, I hope) it would go against Mark's and Steven's pride as authors to just leave it at that...

I agree with both of you. And keeping in mind that S4 is said to be about consequences, I guess we will learnt more about Mary
One way or another.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

June 8, 2016 3:59 pm  #3865

Oh I agree.
But for now, for me, I agree with Holmes:
She is an excellent choice of wife.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

June 8, 2016 4:45 pm  #3866

Which is, by the way, also a way in which Mary is described in the script 

edit: I am still withholding my own personal judement on the character of Mary until I have more data. Until now, for me, there are still "mixed messages"

Last edited by Lola Red (June 8, 2016 4:47 pm)

****************************************************************************************************************************************
We balance probabilities and choose the most likely. It is the scientific use of the imagination.    

June 8, 2016 4:59 pm  #3867

As is "my bloody wife". 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

June 8, 2016 5:19 pm  #3868

just my point, both sides are there 

****************************************************************************************************************************************
We balance probabilities and choose the most likely. It is the scientific use of the imagination.    

June 8, 2016 5:23 pm  #3869

The difference being though that the terms from my lists are all from the real scenes whereas those quoted by you and me are just in Sherlock 's head.

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

June 8, 2016 5:57 pm  #3870

Looking at how John talks about his wife makes me once again wonder how we are to believe he loves her.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

June 8, 2016 6:05 pm  #3871

We've never been given a scene where he looks at her and says "Mary, I love you."

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

June 8, 2016 7:14 pm  #3872

besleybean wrote:

Of course not.
But they have dealt with it and moved on.
Unless you think John is lying?

I think Sherlock is lying and John is following where Sherlock leads.
I think Sherlock is trying to be kind for John .

Remeber when he told Molly Moriarty was gay .... John told him it wasn't kind.
So now we have Sherlock trying to be kind and forgiving about Mary despite how obvious to him ( your next wedding blog post & the opening of TAB ) it is the marriage would not last and  is now on it's last legs.

"Man may not be degraded  to being a machine by being denied to be a ghost in the machine."
It's just transport. The virus in the hard drive . However impossible .Must be the truth.

June 8, 2016 7:46 pm  #3873

This is from a Tumblr post by inevitably-johnlocked recently. Everything the characters ever say about eachother, except for Mary's. Sums it all up, to me:

John about Sherlock: 

• brilliant
  • amazing
  • quite extraordinary
  • fantastic
  • my best friend
  • the most human … human being
  • you were the best man
  • You were the best and the wisest man that I have ever known.” 
  • “’Course you’re my best friend.” 

Sherlock about John:

• This is my friend, John Watson. 
  • My friend John Watson
  • the bravest and kindest and wisest human being I have ever had the good fortune of knowing
  • invaluable
  • one feature, and only one feature, of interest in the whole of this baffling case, and quite frankly it was the usual. John Watson. 

John about Mary:

• my lying wife
  • the woman who’s carrying my child who has lied to me since the day I met her
  • client
  • assassin
  • my pregnant wife
  • my wife

Last edited by GimmeCat (June 8, 2016 7:47 pm)

Doomsteady on AO3 & Tumblr

June 8, 2016 8:04 pm  #3874

GimmeCat wrote:

This is from a Tumblr post by inevitably-johnlocked recently. Everything the characters ever say about eachother, except for Mary's. Sums it all up, to me

If I'm not very much mistaken this post isn't by inevitably-johnlocked, but by Stillgosherlocked - our mod SusiGo.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

June 8, 2016 8:22 pm  #3875

Yes, it is. And I quoted it this morning. But I am very happy that others have found and appreciated it as well. 

June 8, 2016 8:43 pm  #3876

Good work! 

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

June 8, 2016 8:45 pm  #3877

Thank you very much. 

June 8, 2016 9:09 pm  #3878

Oops, sorry about that! Although I've had a tumblr for a few years, I don't really use it enough to fully understand much about it. I saw it reblogged, I guess, and didn't know it came from elsewhere.

Doomsteady on AO3 & Tumblr

June 8, 2016 9:12 pm  #3879

It's fine. Glad you liked it. 

June 8, 2016 11:08 pm  #3880

GimmeCat wrote:

This is from a Tumblr post by inevitably-johnlocked recently. Everything the characters ever say about eachother, except for Mary's. Sums it all up, to me:

John about Sherlock: 

• brilliant
  • amazing
  • quite extraordinary
  • fantastic
  • my best friend
  • the most human … human being
  • you were the best man
  • You were the best and the wisest man that I have ever known.” 
  • “’Course you’re my best friend.” 

Sherlock about John:

• This is my friend, John Watson. 
  • My friend John Watson
  • the bravest and kindest and wisest human being I have ever had the good fortune of knowing
  • invaluable
  • one feature, and only one feature, of interest in the whole of this baffling case, and quite frankly it was the usual. John Watson. 

John about Mary:

• my lying wife
  • the woman who’s carrying my child who has lied to me since the day I met her
  • client
  • assassin
  • my pregnant wife
  • my wife

Isn't this quite selective? hahaha

How about John To/about Sherlock:
You Machine
the other one is a complete dickhead
I'm going to kill you
I always hear punch me in the face

John to/about Mary
She's completely changed my life
Best day of my life (wedding day)
Meeting you is the best thing that could have happened to me

What I'm saying is---selectively listing of random comments can be very misleading.  LOL  

I lost count

Board footera