BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 26, 2012 8:04 pm  #1

Plaques to ACD around the world

Funny...whenever I write 'world' I always hear it in Douglas's voice.

So here is a list of where you can find plaques to commemorate Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. Most are there because he lived at the locations but a few are the for other reasons. If this is the case I'll tell you why. Anyway, some of you lot might want to visit some of them one day.

Edinburgh
No.11Picardy Place- his birthplace
No.2 Picardy Place
No.23 George Square
Edinburgh Medical School, Teviot Place. On East wall of main entrance

Birmingham
T.Statin Ltd, Ashton Road North, Birmingham:1878-1881

Plymouth, Devon
No.1 Durnford Street, Plymouth, Devon: 1882. Relationship with practice partner was unhappy so left

Portsmouth
Bush House, Elmgrove, Southsea, Portsmouth: 1882 . Wrote A Study in Scarlet and Sign of 4 here

London
Upper Wimpole Street:1891.
No.12  Tennyson Road, South Norwood, Croydon, SE25
Langham Hotel, 1c Portland Place, London. Oscar Wilde and ACD dined here with publisher of Lippincotts' Magazine. Following this Sign of 4 and The Picture of Dorian Grey were published.

Crowborough
Terrace Montargis, Crowborough Town Centre, Sussex.

Switzerland
Davos, Switzerland. Adjacent to the ice stadium. To commemorate his role in the development of
Swiss skiing.
(There is also a plaque to Dr. Watson at the Hotel National Lausanne commemorating Dr. Watson's stay there).

USA
2151 Sacramento Street, San Francisco. 1923. Stayed a few hours with Dr. Abrams here & at the Cliff Hotel.

Australia
Gibsons' Grand Central Hotel, Adelaide: 1921 whilst on spiritualism lecture tour
Writer's Walk, Sydney, NSW: as above

Let us know if any of you have visited any of these or do so in the future.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

August 27, 2012 1:10 pm  #2

Re: Plaques to ACD around the world

Damn. Can't believe I was in Edinburgh for 4 days and never got round to doing any ACD stuff.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

August 27, 2012 2:35 pm  #3

Re: Plaques to ACD around the world

A good excuse to go again though!

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

Board footera