BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 25, 2012 5:48 am  #101

Re: Parade's End

Thanks Susi. I'll keep an eye out and if I hear or see anything about it I'll try to post. 

********************************************************************************************************

"That's how you get your kicks, isn't it? You risk your life to prove you're clever.
Why would I do that?
Because you're an idiot."

"We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants."

Gwyn eich byd a dymanuf i chwi lawenydd bob amser.

August 25, 2012 10:37 pm  #102

Really impressed with the first episode!  Rebecca Hall was, of course, amazing and Ben was, naturally, brilliant!  I think I probably would have been confused on a few things if I hadn't read the books first (for instance I would have had no idea that 'Hullo Central' is what Sylvia calls the maid), but I think it was easy enough to follow so far.  Looking forward to next week!   

August 26, 2012 12:39 pm  #103

It was wonderful. Everything about it was sublime.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

August 26, 2012 2:28 pm  #104

I agree the first episode was really good. (Unfortunately, I missed some 10 minutes, stupid live stream.) Now I definitely have to read the book!
The documentary afterwords was interesting as well.
Yes, so looking forward to next friday! :D

--------------------------------------------------
Crime in Progress. Please Disturb.

August 26, 2012 5:02 pm  #105

I am going to catch the documentary in a little while. I-player was working in stops and starts too. It kept buffering. I think that's our dumb broadband connection though!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

August 26, 2012 10:01 pm  #106

Damn i need to get HBO. My stupid satellite company makes you purchase top of line package just to have right to buy HBO. A real ripoff. But i need to cut out groceries and pony up so i can watch Parade's End and also Newsroom which i also love I need to diet anyway.

Disguise is always a self portrait

August 27, 2012 1:10 pm  #107

Hmm it was interesting.
Some nice camera work happening.
Story seemed a bit all over the place, is the book like that? Some sections seemed to dwell on time much more than others.

At this stage I can't really cry "brilliant" at the acting, something's 'missing'.
I'll watch again tomorrow & see if it was just me.
Nice story, I'll watch the rest & see where it goes.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

August 27, 2012 1:21 pm  #108

I didn't see the episode but I read the book. And, yes, it goes back and forth in time and there are scenes you only understand in retrospect. It's interesting but demanding and I think if they kept to it in the film it will be the same for the viewers.

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

August 27, 2012 6:30 pm  #109

There is a very detailed review of the book here:

www.guardian.co.uk/books/2012/aug/24/julian-barnes-parades-end-ford-madox-ford

Beware of lots of spoilers!!

August 27, 2012 10:10 pm  #110

The documentary that goes with Parade's End is definitely worth watching and not just because of the interviews with Benedict.

August 28, 2012 7:06 pm  #111

Okay, I have now watched this online. I liked the setting, the cinematography, the actors. Benny was just amazing, just as I expected.
But I think the show was highly confusing! As kazza said, the story seemed "all over the place". Lots of time jumps.

~ Attention, spoilers! ~
So - for the people who watched it, can someone maybe explain the last bit for me? Because I really lost it there. Was Benedict just driving around in a carriage with this woman for a whole night? Why? And why did suddenly everyone assumed they were having an affair even though he just met this woman on the golf course? 
It might have something to do with the fact that I watched it very late in the evening, but I really didn't get it...

August 28, 2012 7:23 pm  #112

If I remember correctly they've lost their way and drive through the night, also hindered by the dense fog. In those days spending a night with a woman out in the open was considered highly improper. I don't know how the episode ends but in the book they collide with General Campion's car and the horse has to be put down. The general's sister Lady Claudine sees Valentine and assumes that something indecent has been going on. Hope this helps.

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

August 28, 2012 7:41 pm  #113

Sammy wrote:

Okay, I have now watched this online. I liked the setting, the cinematography, the actors. Benny was just amazing, just as I expected.
But I think the show was highly confusing! As kazza said, the story seemed "all over the place". Lots of time jumps.

~ Attention, spoilers! ~
So - for the people who watched it, can someone maybe explain the last bit for me? Because I really lost it there. Was Benedict just driving around in a carriage with this woman for a whole night? Why? And why did suddenly everyone assumed they were having an affair even though he just met this woman on the golf course? 
It might have something to do with the fact that I watched it very late in the evening, but I really didn't get it...

The time jumps reflect the books (which are non-linear), but I certainly see where this could be confusing!

Christopher and Valentine were driving around all night because they had to help Gertie escape since she was wanted by the police and the Wannops were hiding her.  Everyone assumed they were having an affair because they knew Sylvia had left Christopher, but Christopher and others had told lies about WHY she had left (saying she went to Germany to be with her sick Mother and not that she had ran away with Perowne to France).  So, they probably thought that if someone was cheating that it was Christopher and not Sylvia (the General on the golf course reflects this as he keeps talking about how great Sylvia is, not knowing the truth).  I believe they thought (since it appeared Christopher was helping Valentine to get away from the policeman) that Christopher and Valentine were probably involved in some way (in "cahoots").

August 28, 2012 8:29 pm  #114

The presumption was that Christopher was the one being unfaithful and that is why Sylvia had left (despite the attempts to cover up her leaving with the fictitious looking after her mother). It was more socially acceptable for a man to have an extra-marital affair than for a woman to have one. A cuckolded husband would be seen as a compete social embarrassment. Better to be unfaithful oneself than to be cuckolded. Also, Sylvia is such an outwardly attractive woman who knows exactly how to manipulate all men (apart from Christopher) that they all think the world of her; this includes men such as the General.

The story jumps around because that is the way the original stories are written; they are a modernist text. This is of itself difficult to understand as a reader and likewise difficult to transfer to the big or small screen. Another example of such a novel would be The French Lieutenant's Woman by John Fowles which plays with time and plays other literary tricks upon the reader. When made into a film the screenplay had to adopt whole invented new sections. Tom Stoppard has also done this, to a certain extent, with this story. Just as well it isn't a stream of consciousness text or we wouldn't stand a chance!

August 28, 2012 8:47 pm  #115

Parade's End scored record ratings for BBC 2 on Friday.

August 28, 2012 9:14 pm  #116

Hope it stays like that in spite of Benedicts mumbling  .

BTW, I always like your explanations. You have a great way of making complicated things clear.

August 28, 2012 9:16 pm  #117

I still have to watch the last 30 minutes... THEN I will start reading in this thread.
So go on slowly please, so I still have a chance to follow then. 

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

August 28, 2012 10:00 pm  #118

A glimpse of next week's episode. Particularly happy to see the Osprey. (We visited the Glaslyn (N. Wales) nest last year and I follow the Scottish and Rutland Water nests online). Such magnificent birds persecuted to extinction in UK and then reintroduced 1950s. I didn't expect to be mentioning them on this forum though. Oh, and Benedict is in the clip too ( and some other flighty bird)

Last edited by JaneCo (August 28, 2012 10:01 pm)

August 28, 2012 10:16 pm  #119

SusiGo wrote:

Hope it stays like that in spite of Benedicts mumbling  .

First time I watched it through I had to rely on the subtitles a few times to make out what he was mumbling about!  Sometimes it almost looks like he's chewing on the spacers in his mouth.

August 29, 2012 12:23 pm  #120

An article with plenty of interview input from Benedict on Parade's End but also Sherlock, playing Smaug etc.

www.timeout.com/melbourne/timein/features/1945/benedict-cumberbatch-on-parades-end?DCMP=OTC-RSS-

Board footera