BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 15, 2016 9:52 am  #461

Re: The Hollow Crown: The Wars of the Roses (was "Richard III")

Yes, it's hardly any wonder many historical monarchs were all psychopaths.
It was a brutal world.
Oh an interesting aside:
I phoned Mum this morning, I asked her if she's been watching the series.
She said no because dad is recording them all and, so they can sit and watch them at their leisure.
However she said dad had gone through to the living room last night, to switch off the TV and DVD.
She aid he came running  back through to the bedroom saying: " I just caught the end of it, Benedict is brilliant...can't wait to see it all!"

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

May 15, 2016 3:41 pm  #462

Someone posted the whole episode on the youtube, I don't know how long it will stay there

May 15, 2016 3:42 pm  #463

Link?

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

May 15, 2016 4:10 pm  #464

I tried to copy and paste it, but of course no dice!
However;
1. Part 1 is there, too.
2. I just googled Youtube and searched for it.

I picked up Radio Times today: Benedict as Richard on the cover, Benedict and Andrew(pix of) inside, plus an article with Benedict quotes.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

May 16, 2016 11:32 am  #465

I don’t like Shakespeare.  There, I’ve said it, and I know that I will now be killed to death with sticks, but I simply don’t like Shakespeare.  I didn’t get it at school, I still don’t get it now.  I went to see Martin in R3 because I was interested to see how he performed in such a different role to those he’d done on TV, and I still didn’t get it.  I went to see Benedict’s Hamlet twice with Sherlockian friends who came over from abroad just to see the play, and I still didn’t get it.  The dialogue simply doesn’t resonate with me; I don’t understand why such archaic language is still in use.  I also realise that that’s my problem and that many many other people love Shakespeare and the language, but I simply don’t like Shakespeare, and I don’t get it.

So I was resigned to watch this series of The Hollow Crown just because it had a Benedict in it, but I wasn’t looking forward to it and reckoned that once again I would simply be admiring the Pretty whilst being bored and confused by what the hell they were talking about.

But something made me watch Part I even though I knew that Ben wasn’t in it.  And I was enthralled.  I don’t know what it was that made this better than any Shakespeare I’ve watched before, but I was engaged, and interested, and fascinated.  It helped that the cinematography was phenomenal but I wasn’t just watching the scenery.  Maybe it was because I watched with the subtitles on and therefore was reading as well as listening, but I actually understood the dialogue and wasn’t put off by the archaic language.

So I couldn’t wait for Part II!  Some good Shakespeare and Benedict as well?  Double bonus!  And it didn’t disappoint.  So many fantastic performances, amazing photography, superb directing.  I got it.  I really got it.  So much so that on Sunday I watched the whole episode a second time and still wasn’t bored or distracted.

Of course, because I’m still facile at times, I do have to point out that the moment when George reunited with his brothers and Richard said, “This is brother-like,” and clicked the hell out of the ‘k’ got rewound about six times before I could move on.  And then afterwards I rewound to that bit and played it a few more times ...

No, I don’t claim to be a Shakespeare convert.  But more productions like this - and with subtitles - and I’ll be watching.

May 16, 2016 11:39 am  #466

I think editing these sprawling and confusing plays helped immensely. They turned the trilogy into a political thriller/blood-spattered action spectacle allowing for quiet and sad moments as well. I watched the last half hour with my son who is 17, had never seen or read Shakespeare, and we had no subtitles and yet he was not bored (I explained what was going on). So they must have done something right if they can reach people who usually do not like Shakespeare or are afraid or not understanding it or cannot connect with the language. 

Have you watched "Richard II" from the first cycle? This is wonderful as well, Ben Whishaw and Rory Kinnear are sensational. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

May 16, 2016 12:34 pm  #467

Lord help me, but I am seriously considering ordering the first cycle on DVD!

May I draw attention to this screencap:

Was I the only one who yelped, "That's Sherlock!" when Richard looked at his reflection in his sword.  It seems that reincarnation really does happen. ;-)

May 16, 2016 12:36 pm  #468

What a brilliant shot.

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

May 16, 2016 1:44 pm  #469

Damn.
I am getting so excited to watch this. 
Just the screencaps and gifs I've seen on tumblr are killing me.
There's one particular one that Richard is looking right into the camera and I swear if anyone ever looked at me like that in real life I would soil myself in fear.

Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 

May 16, 2016 2:49 pm  #470

Finally I got to watch the first two!

Benedict is amazing as Richard and I feel he is actually giving him a lot of facets.

Shakespeare truly does suit him well!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

May 16, 2016 3:47 pm  #471

Yep, I already consider him a classic Shakespearean actor.

May 16, 2016 3:55 pm  #472

Ariane DeVere wrote:

I don’t like Shakespeare. There, I’ve said it, and I know that I will now be killed to death with sticks, but I simply don’t like Shakespeare. I didn’t get it at school, I still don’t get it now. I went to see Martin in R3 because I was interested to see how he performed in such a different role to those he’d done on TV, and I still didn’t get it. I went to see Benedict’s Hamlet twice with Sherlockian friends who came over from abroad just to see the play, and I still didn’t get it. The dialogue simply doesn’t resonate with me; I don’t understand why such archaic language is still in use. I also realise that that’s my problem and that many many other people love Shakespeare and the language, but I simply don’t like Shakespeare, and I don’t get it.

So I was resigned to watch this series of The Hollow Crown just because it had a Benedict in it, but I wasn’t looking forward to it and reckoned that once again I would simply be admiring the Pretty whilst being bored and confused by what the hell they were talking about.

But something made me watch Part I even though I knew that Ben wasn’t in it. And I was enthralled. I don’t know what it was that made this better than any Shakespeare I’ve watched before, but I was engaged, and interested, and fascinated. It helped that the cinematography was phenomenal but I wasn’t just watching the scenery. Maybe it was because I watched with the subtitles on and therefore was reading as well as listening, but I actually understood the dialogue and wasn’t put off by the archaic language.

So I couldn’t wait for Part II! Some good Shakespeare and Benedict as well? Double bonus! And it didn’t disappoint. So many fantastic performances, amazing photography, superb directing. I got it. I really got it. So much so that on Sunday I watched the whole episode a second time and still wasn’t bored or distracted.

Of course, because I’m still facile at times, I do have to point out that the moment when George reunited with his brothers and Richard said, “This is brother-like,” and clicked the hell out of the ‘k’ got rewound about six times before I could move on. And then afterwards I rewound to that bit and played it a few more times ...

No, I don’t claim to be a Shakespeare convert. But more productions like this - and with subtitles - and I’ll be watching.

This post made me happy. I don't get Shakespeare either. And I dont' get theatre acting. Even well-known actors that I KNOW are extremely talented seem to over-act whenever they are on stage. And whatever emotional reaction I might have to whatever is going on in a scene, is squashed when that arcaic language is used. I can't relate. At all. 

Only thing i*ve noticed is that there are a lot of great quotes. Whenever I see something Shakesperean, I am amazed of the quality of the dialogue (the bits I can understand). 

So I am still there that the only reason I am going to watch The Hollow Crown is to gawk at Ben. And then we'll see if I can manage to get anything else out of it.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

May 16, 2016 4:14 pm  #473

To be fair, that's reason enough.

May 16, 2016 4:26 pm  #474

Well, it's a very superficial reason. So unfortnately I'm in the pleebes category that give Ben fans a bad name (only watching the classics because of the main actor). 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

May 16, 2016 4:27 pm  #475

But if it introduces you to the classics, why not?

May 16, 2016 4:47 pm  #476

No one is required to like any form of entertainment and I think Ben would be pleased that you are at least giving something a chance because he's in it. 

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

May 16, 2016 5:33 pm  #477

tonnaree wrote:

No one is required to like any form of entertainment and I think Ben would be pleased that you are at least giving something a chance because he's in it. 

Exactly. I love Shakespeare and I envy the English a bit, tbh. My son is reading Goethe's "Faust" at school and hates it. I understand him well. Although Shakespeare's plays are 200 years older the seem fresher, funnier, more relatable, and timeless. In German literature there is no one like him and especially the German Romantics have tried to "adopt" him exactly because they felt related to him over centuries and national borders. So, no one is forced to like his works. I just wanted to mention how much his writing means to me and how unique it truly is. And to see it played and hear it spoken by someone like Benedict makes me very happy. 

May 16, 2016 5:36 pm  #478

I agree whole heartedly Susi.

Of course, I would be happy hearing Benedict read the phone book. 

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

May 16, 2016 5:53 pm  #479

Me, too!

May 16, 2016 9:54 pm  #480

I watched it today on iplayer and that was amazing.  Benedict is such a good actor!

Will we see more of Andrew Scott in the next episode?

Last edited by Kirkiarty (May 16, 2016 9:54 pm)

Kirkiarty

Board footera