BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 12, 2016 2:00 pm  #441

Re: The Hollow Crown: The Wars of the Roses (was "Richard III")

SolarSystem wrote:

As far as I know their CDs got lost during The War of the Roses... must have been quite an upheaval... 

Ooooh... too bad!

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

May 12, 2016 3:52 pm  #442

Fabulous!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

May 12, 2016 4:55 pm  #443

nakahara wrote:

SolarSystem wrote:

As far as I know their CDs got lost during The War of the Roses... must have been quite an upheaval... 

Ooooh... too bad!

It could be though that someday someone might find one or two copies under a car park of a supermarket...

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

May 12, 2016 4:57 pm  #444

Here's hoping!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

May 13, 2016 2:52 am  #445

Om…g….   they just decided one moment 'hey, a rock band style pic of our medieval characters would be awesome' and tweeted it to the public?  And who are the others?  And how…?  And.. what?  Context of that awesomeness!!

*quick search*  Oo!  Thank goodness for nixxie-fic's constant good production/set pictures….     Caption, and a bigger one, if you click the pic!   
http://nixxie-fic.tumblr.com/post/144223652149/oh-my-good-lord-medieval-kings-were-used-to

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

May 13, 2016 5:43 am  #446

Splendid.

May 13, 2016 5:45 am  #447

So funny!

May 13, 2016 7:57 am  #448

I looove those photos! Benedict is just rocking that look.

Grrr, I'm a bit cross today. Back when it first came out on DVD I requested for my library to purchase season 1 of The Hollow Crown. Now, when you request a purchase you automatically go on the reservation list. Well it's been months and I figured the library had decided not to purchase it. On the off-chance I searched the catalogue for it and discovered they did buy it, but I wasn't put on the list. So now there's 20 people ahead of me 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

May 13, 2016 8:52 am  #449

Yeah it was nicked from The Sun. At least they are useful for funny pics.

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

May 13, 2016 1:19 pm  #450

I'll be over a friends watching Eurovision (it's the most wonderful time of the year.. I'd happily sleep for the rest of the year and only wake up for Eurovision) so I'll watch it on iplayer the Monday I get back!

Kirkiarty

May 13, 2016 4:16 pm  #451

Sugar. Missed my chance to tell my workmates I would be missing Eurovision, because of Hollow crown.

May 13, 2016 7:18 pm  #452

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

May 13, 2016 7:21 pm  #453

Oh my.

May 14, 2016 10:23 pm  #454

Heavens, I knew he would be good. But this was amazing. What an incredible performance and this was just the beginning. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

May 15, 2016 2:43 am  #455

I didn't get to watch it as of this moment but the gifs that I have seen from the episode have practically taken my breath away. His acting looks great just from the gifs, with no audio. I am sure it will be great whenever I actually watch it.
And I have to say I really like the long hair look...

Clueing for looks.

May 15, 2016 6:23 am  #456

I watched it, was so shaken I couldn't sleep, re-watched big chunks on bbc player and now I am re-watching it again.
Benedict is beyond any superlative, but the whole production is splendid with an outstanding Sophie Okenedo.

May 15, 2016 7:19 am  #457

Unfortunately I had several domestic distractions, while I was watching. These didn't concern me too much, as I know soon I will have the dvd to peruse at my pleasure.
But anyway.
I didn't actually realise we were going to get so much Benedict this week. I was sitting excitedly waiting for Andrew!
I thought Andrew was good, in such a small role. I think we get a little more of him next week.
To be honest I wasn't so sure of Benedict when he first arrived, his earlier years performance.
But then in the 2nd half of the play, when the character is more recognisably Richard. I thought he was excellent.
I love that famous speech near the end and Benedict delivered it so well.
A slightly geeky comment upon that speech: I suddenly remembered(while watching) at my Richard III day school, we were played a very famous version of the speech(Larry Olivier?  I can't remember)...but I think I am right in saying they transposed it into the Richard III play. I seem to remember the tutor saying she completely agreed with this sacrilege, at which purists were outraged. It seems so obvious that the speech should be at the heart of Richard III and not stuck on the end of Henry VI. It really does give us the best insight into Richard's character.
As my husband pointed out, it worked well though in this production, being left where it was first put. Because it does make a nice build up to R III, when you are watch the plays  consecutively- as we are doing.

Last edited by besleybean (May 15, 2016 7:31 am)

May 15, 2016 7:31 am  #458

I must say Andrew's Louis was one of the very few disappointments in this play for me. True, he had only that one scene, but I didn't get any vibe from him. He is usually excellent even in small parts, but here he wasn't convincing, IMO.I preferred Benedict in the second part, as well, thinking and scheming in his brother's shadow, but on the second viewing (yes, I've already managed to watch it twice!) I appreciated fully "young Richard" as well.

May 15, 2016 7:33 am  #459

Well I forget the exact divisions of the play, but yes...the one thing I would add is: I did think very moving, Benedict's performance when he witnesses the murder of his youngest brother.

May 15, 2016 9:46 am  #460

I loved the scene with him watching Rutland being murdered although it is not in the play. If I remember correctly, he is a warrior from the very beginning. No pampering, no staying at home with mother while the big guys are fighting. It is an interesting way of emphasising his being an outsider though. And it was brilliantly played. 

Board footera