BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 28, 2016 1:53 am  #381

Re: What are you reading at the moment?

Maybe were thinking of 'Gone Girl'?   Similar word in title, also a book-to-movie, and heard them being compared.

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

January 28, 2016 6:40 am  #382

Thank you, dear.
I will quiz mother!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

March 20, 2016 2:09 pm  #383

I suppose it's no longer what I'm reading "at the moment" since I finished reading it last night, but I just read Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro, which was assigned reading for one of my classes.
I liked it, even though in some ways it puzzled me, but I think that's the point.  It doesn't have the same "payoff" of revelations as you might expect from a book with a dystopian setting, of sorts, but I like that it's different and I think there's a point to it being the way it is.  It has some clever moments and some sad moments, especially near the end.  I like that it's different, so if you're in the mood for something different, I'd recommend it.

Clueing for looks.

March 20, 2016 2:59 pm  #384

I'm just about to finish The Essential Arthur Conan Doyle adventures...yes I know we have a separate thread for this!
But anyway.
It's been a joy, being in my happy place, reading Canon.
Really enjoying reading some of the stories for a second, or even third time.
I haven't re-read the ones I've already read three times!
Interesting to see the ones Mark and Steven chose and I love their little comments on them!

Oh before this I read the little pamphlet: Sherlock Lives...which I think we also have a separate thread for!
Got the odd new fact out of it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

April 15, 2016 6:06 pm  #385

I started a very good crime story a couple of days ago. It has waited much too long on my to-read-list. It's set in Berlin in the 20th of the last century. The main character is a criminal commissar working on the murder of a female M.D. , being an educated obstetrician but also helping out women in need in Berlin between the two big world wars.
Thank you, you-know-who-you-are.

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

April 15, 2016 6:10 pm  #386

So(still on my Xmas books!)
I am now onto the one my son bought me.
He always buys me weird but interesting books.
This time it's 'Extremely loud and incredibly close' by Jonathan Safran Foer.
Written from the point of view of a(I think) autistic 9 year old boy, who loses his Dad in 9/11.
Quite mind blowing, but very human.

April 18, 2016 7:35 am  #387

I'm reading this book at the Moment. Really entertaining.
[img]http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51qKalJR6EL._SX398_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg[/img]

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

May 10, 2016 9:08 pm  #388

I suppose I am a little late... I just finished this book today, so I'm not currently reading it anymore. Anyway, the book was Golden Boy by Abigail Tarttelin. I had been wanting to read it since it came out a couple years. It was really good and covers a topic that is not covered in many books. It centres around the one main character but it's about his family, too, since the narration is shared by a few characters.

Clueing for looks.

May 10, 2016 9:23 pm  #389

I have just finished "King Henry VI" part 1 - 3 (for reasons) and will now continue with "King Richard III" (for reasons). 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

May 10, 2016 11:21 pm  #390

I have a hunch I know the reason. Enjoy them!

Clueing for looks.

May 11, 2016 12:42 am  #391

Morgoth's Ring, by J.R.R. Tolkien.

May 11, 2016 5:33 am  #392

I am still working through my Xmas books, now on the ones my pal bought me.
So first up it's H.G Wells The Rights of Man.
Did I mention I am also ploughing through Anna Karenina on my E book?
I am a quarter of the way through, so far!

May 13, 2016 2:41 am  #393

Are you enjoying it? My mom tried reading it once and she didn't finish because she couldn't keep the characters straight because they are referred to by different names at different parts.

Clueing for looks.

May 13, 2016 5:41 am  #394

Oh yeah, that's Russian literature for you!
You get used to the fact that every character( and there are a LOT of characters!)has at least 3 names! They have their title, their official name and a pet name.
So yes, each time you start a chapter( and there are even MORE chapters!), it takes you the first few pages to think: ok, so where are we now?  Who is this and what are we talking about?!
It's not all my kind of thing, but it's interesting as historical, social and cultural testimony.

May 19, 2016 11:40 am  #395

Got to love those Slavic patronymics, matronymics, pet names, names adopted in marriage haven't you.   

I'm reading Jane Two by Sean Patrick Flanery. I ordered it specially from the US where it was published last month. I've met Sean and he was lovely and I like his acting work that he's done. It is his first novel and I am very impressed!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

May 19, 2016 4:10 pm  #396

I'm back on Anna Karenina now and really enjoying it, at the moment.

July 10, 2016 9:51 am  #397

I just started reading "Shades of Grey" by Jasper Fforde (author of the Thursday Next series).

I'm only a couple of chapters in, but it's pretty bizarre... The story is set in an Orwellian future, but with Jasper Fforde's sense of humour it's certainly not "grey". I can't even begin to describe what has happened so far, and I have no idea where the plot is going to take me. But I'm kind of hooked...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

July 10, 2016 9:53 am  #398

I've just about killed off Anna Karenina...
In the meantime, I also read Owen Jones'  'The Establishment.'

July 10, 2016 10:16 pm  #399

I'm reading Morgoth's Ring, by J.R.R. Tolkien.

July 13, 2016 5:15 am  #400

I am reading Lovecraft's "The Mountains of Madness" for quite a while now. The picture he paints with his words are very impressive.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

Board footera