BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 11, 2016 7:29 pm  #241

Re: This wedding is an extremely strange one!

I like that article...it should also be in the comprehensive thread, methinks.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'd be lost without my blogger.
"It’s not a ‘gang’ show, it’s the Sherlock and John show. It’s about developing their characters and their relationship, and the characters drawn into their orbit.”  Steven Moffat

May 2, 2016 6:55 am  #242

And still people find interesting things in this episode … 

http://ebaeschnbliah.tumblr.com/post/143727796649/thebisonwitheadphones-cartopathy-softsons

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

May 2, 2016 7:25 am  #243

I personally think some people really stretch a point.
A ' help mate' is just an assistant or a colleague and I feel that most people in the UK would understand it that way.
If you really want to refer to somebody as your spouse, the English language provides many nouns to do so.
'little help mate' is both a play on John's size and him being only an assistant...just Sherlock's humour, as he goes on to explain John is so much more- to both him and Mary.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

May 2, 2016 7:27 am  #244

Judging by the reaction of the audience, I wouldn't say that he "literally called John his spouse"!  The word is ambiguous.  If he'd said "husband", that would be literally calling John his spouse, but "partner", for instance, wouldn't be.  

I suspect it's taken from Holmes description of Watson as his helpmate in The Blanched Soldier:
Speaking of my old friend and biographer, I would take this opportunity to remark that if I burden myself with a companion in my various little inquiries it is not done out of sentiment or caprice, but it is that Watson has some remarkable characteristics of his own to which in his modesty he has given small attention amid his exaggerated estimates of my own performances. A confederate who foresees your conclusions and course of action is always dangerous, but one to whom each development comes as a perpetual surprise, and to whom the future is always a closed book, is indeed an ideal helpmate.

It's quite similar to Sherlock's wedding speech in some ways.  (From Arianne de VereIf I burden myself with a little help-mate during my adventures, it is not out of sentiment or caprice – it is that he has many fine qualities of his own that he has overlooked in his obsession with me).

And a couple of lines later in The Blanched Soldier:
The good Watson had at that time deserted me for a wife, the only selfish action which I can recall in our association. I was alone.

Moftiss do like to draw on canon and I think that's what's happening here, especially as it's rare example of Holmes' POV. (The understated "I was alone" is quite moving, and it does make me think of Sherlock at the end of TSOT, even if Moftiss's Sherlock is more expressive!).

Last edited by Liberty (May 2, 2016 8:20 am)

May 4, 2016 6:51 am  #245

The moment when Sherlock deduced Mary´s pregnancy in stills - centered on John´s reactions. Very interesting reactions:

http://madfoxx.tumblr.com/post/142460176518/what-to-do-when-finding-out-that-your-wife-is

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

May 4, 2016 7:53 am  #246

Very interesting!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

May 9, 2016 9:00 pm  #247

Another thing: Imagine a bride and her best/only friend/chief bridesmaid not exchanging a single word over three episodes. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

May 9, 2016 9:14 pm  #248

SusiGo wrote:

Another thing: Imagine a bride and her best/only friend/chief bridesmaid not exchanging a single word over three episodes. 

Yes, friendship between Mary and Janine is so fake it´s unbelievable. It´s as if they didn´t know each other at all.

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

May 9, 2016 9:22 pm  #249

Which goes for most of the wedding guests but with Janine it is glaringly obvious. She just seems to be good enough to look nice at the wedding and get whacked over the head. 

May 9, 2016 9:28 pm  #250

Nicely put. And so very true. 

I´m still puzzled where did John and Mary conjured up so many wedding guests. 

May 9, 2016 9:35 pm  #251

Some of the men look like nightclub bouncers. Probably some former colleagues of Mary's.  John must have had friends from uni or the army or school - or are we to assume that he also was a loner like Sherlock and Mycroft? Not really. The whole wedding seems to take place in a vacuum, it looks completely artificial. 

May 10, 2016 5:39 am  #252

But how much detail do we want on the wedding?
It had to be done.
But they did it in a way to focus on the crime aspects, but mostly it's all about Sherlock.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

May 10, 2016 5:54 am  #253

I agree, but I think it's slightly out of character for them to have such a big wedding, when neither have family that can come.  I've thought about this a lot and in the end I wonder if it's just because the team wanted elements of a big wedding - the setting, the visuals, Sherlock as wedding planner, the best man's speech, etc.  It wouldn't work so well with a small intimate gathering.

May 10, 2016 7:06 am  #254

Some people pointed out in the past that Moftiss, if they want something cool in their show, simply put it in regardless of the plot points previously established. And Watson´s wedding ceremony seems to be exactly this. It doesn´t fit John´s and Mary´s character to have such an opulent wedding, for Mary it´s very dangerous to draw attention to herself that way... but the scene of Sherlock´s speech would not be so flashy without big wedding party, so there goes this characterisation...

May 10, 2016 1:00 pm  #255

Very good point, nakahara.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

May 10, 2016 5:23 pm  #256

Though for me, if he'd stood up and said it in a little pub, or even at 221B...it still would be the only best man's speech worth listening to.

May 21, 2016 5:10 pm  #257

Nice comparison. I know we have discussed the way the wedding speech is shot but this lends it some extra emphasis:

http://stillgosherlocked.tumblr.com/post/144699729938/the-7-percent-solution-just-sort-of-happened

May 21, 2016 5:12 pm  #258

It could also foretell Mary's death.

May 21, 2016 5:21 pm  #259

Wow, nice analysis. The show seems to be at its best when quoting itself.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

May 21, 2016 5:23 pm  #260

Yes, this is one of the things I love most about. And these self-quotes are always true. Just think of Mrs Hudson and her chief bridesmaid. Or the not-working lipstick and moustache. 

Board footera