BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 2, 2016 9:18 am  #101

Re: Marvellous Midyear Fic Exchange 2016

Doing well here as well. God a good outline written down and am planning it more in my head.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

May 3, 2016 4:15 am  #102

Struck by inspiration yesterday, now into heavy plotting. I finally feel like getting somewhere.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

May 3, 2016 2:09 pm  #103

I think I have got most of my story down at this point, I just need to get to my conclusion and then I will have it all down with just editing needing to be done.

Unfortunately, though, I got a good idea for something to add but I couldn't write it down at the time and now I don't remember what it was.

Clueing for looks.

May 3, 2016 4:15 pm  #104

I finally started writing yesterday. I find my prompt not bad but quite challenging. But after several sleepless nights (figuratively speaking) I think I have the story roughly plotted out, so it will hopefully work. Though I'm not convinced it will turn out the way my recipient might expect. But I'll try my best.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"There is a place for people like you, the desperate, the terrified. The ones with nowhere else to run."
"What place?"
"221B Baker Street."

May 4, 2016 6:12 pm  #105

Tinkling with my idea which confines with quite a few of my recipient's prompts. Have to finish the Holmestice story first though.

May 8, 2016 2:49 pm  #106

Once we've finished our stories, what should the introduction consist of?  A summary of the story and a mention of prompts and of the intended recipient, yes, but what else?

May 8, 2016 3:06 pm  #107

Whatever you wish to tell the person you wrote for, I'd say.

Not your name. ;-)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

May 8, 2016 5:21 pm  #108

Stay anonymous, then, until the big reveal, as we did for the Christmas exchange.

May 8, 2016 5:31 pm  #109

ukaunz wrote:

How does the fic exchange work? It's like a Secret Santa gift swap. Everyone who participates will be secretly assigned a recipient, and will write a story (or poem if you like) fulfilling their prompts. In return you will receive a story written to your own prompt, composed by another participant (not necessarily the person you are writing for). You will send your finished stories to me, and I will post them in a separate thread with the name of the recipient only, so that initially no one will know who wrote which story. The authors will be revealed at a later date after all the stories have been posted.

Exactly.

May 9, 2016 7:34 am  #110

Hey everyone, hope the writing is coming along and you're all having fun

For those who are wondering what to do with your stories when they are finished... Well, I haven't had a chance to test anything out myself, but I've been reading through the forum to see what was done in the past. Here's what I know so far.

Converting your finished story into forum-ready text

You'll need to email your finished story to me (the forum private message system has a 3000 character limit, so email is the best way to go) and then I will copy and paste it into the Midyear Fic Exchange thread. However if you have any formatting (italics, bold etc.) it will not transfer when I copy and paste unless you put in the correct tags.

Presumably most of you are typing your stories in Word or Open Document, so the text will need to be converted to BBCode. If your story is fairly short or has very little formatting (say one or two instances per page) it will probably be easier for you to go into your document and add the BBCode tags yourself.

Here are the most commonly used tags – just take out the spaces inside the [ ] brackets for them to work.
Italics [ i ]{text}[ /i ]
Bold [ b ]{text}[ /b ]
Underline [ u ]{text}[ /u ]

A few other tags you might like to use to make it pretty
Center text [ center ]{text}[ center ]
Font size [ size={number} ]{text}[ /size ]
Font colour [ color={colour} ]{text}[ /color ]

However if you have pages and pages of complex formatting you can follow a two-step process using online converters. Unfortunately this isn't a reliable process and you might need to do it more than once, but hopefully we'll all get there in the end.

First you need to convert your Word or Open Doc to html. There are many converters available, here are a couple you can try:
http://document.online-convert.com/convert-to-html
https://word2cleanhtml.com

The second step is to test that it will display correctly in the forum thread. You take the html file and convert it to BBCode using one of the many online converters:
http://www.garyshood.com/htmltobb/
http://www.seabreezecomputers.com/html2bbcode/

Then you start a new topic on the forum, fill in a title (this is necessary), paste your converted text (or the text which has manually-added BBCode tags) in the box and hit "preview". This will allow you (and no one else) to see if the text is going to display your formatting correctly. Don't hit "submit"

If all looks good, email me the html file, and I will re-convert it to BBCode and post it to the Fic Exchange thread. Apparently there were a lot less formatting errors when it was done this way, so please don't skip the test step in case there are problems with formatting, line/paragraph breaks etc. that need to be solved. It is the author's responsibility to check their formatting!

You may like to write a short introduction to your story saying who it is for and what your prompts were, but don't forget the idea of the fic exchange is to stay anonymous until the reveal at the end, so don't sign your name

I included my email address with the questionnaire I sent out, but if you need it again ask me in a PM.

Any questions, ask them here, as others may need to know too or be able help.

Last edited by ukaunz (June 4, 2016 9:09 am)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

May 9, 2016 7:44 am  #111

Are we allowed to comment on the fics as non-participants?

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

May 9, 2016 7:49 am  #112

Definitely! Please do 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

May 9, 2016 7:52 am  #113

Yes, I think it would be wonderful to have many people enjoy the fics. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

May 9, 2016 4:25 pm  #114

Checking in quickly to wish everyone the best with writing - I love my prompt although I'm a bit 'daunted in the face of' disappointing for my recipient, but that's just me being pessimistic, as always.
I've to finish one a friend strongly asked for and then I'll get to writing.

What am I doing here instead of actually doing it?!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'd be lost without my blogger.
"It’s not a ‘gang’ show, it’s the Sherlock and John show. It’s about developing their characters and their relationship, and the characters drawn into their orbit.”  Steven Moffat

May 13, 2016 7:00 pm  #115

I finished mine last week (don't be daunted, it's not super long even if it is longer than the story I wrote for the Secret Santa), but since then I have not gone back over it to start editing. I need to get on that.
I hope everyone else's writing is going well.

Clueing for looks.

May 26, 2016 7:01 pm  #116

Apologising in advance for the quality of the writing - given that I'm swamped with...IRL stuff, I can't concentrate as much on it as I did the Christmas one.
I'm doing my best, I swear. And who knows, by the time it's actually finished I'll have written something as worthwhile as A Singular Gentleman (because it seems to have been a success, not saying that because I want to show-off).

Sending positive vibes to all of you who are still writing, struggling or not.

And Yitzock, finished already? Congrats

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'd be lost without my blogger.
"It’s not a ‘gang’ show, it’s the Sherlock and John show. It’s about developing their characters and their relationship, and the characters drawn into their orbit.”  Steven Moffat

May 26, 2016 7:47 pm  #117

I finished mine as well and sent it to my beta reader. Good luck to all of you and lots of inspiration.

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

May 26, 2016 8:05 pm  #118

Since writing that last post, I actually added a small extra bit to the middle of mine. But yes, I'm finished.

Best of luck to everyone else. One month to go!

Clueing for looks.

May 26, 2016 9:37 pm  #119

I am far from being finished but having lots of fun with my prompt. :-D

May 27, 2016 12:30 am  #120

Fun is what this is all about, so that's good!

Clueing for looks.

Board footera