BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 30, 2016 10:13 pm  #3401

Re: Mary – the subject of discussion

I am perfectly happy with what we've been given.
We are obviously going to get more
Whether or not it's back story or a new addition, I don't know.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

May 1, 2016 7:39 am  #3402

There's got to be more.  I'm reassured by the fact that TAB addressed Mary's past to some extent - she was explicitly an agent in Sherlock's mind palace, so that is clearly on his mind and part of his view of her as person.  I don't think it can disappear. 

I would be prepared to believe that both John and Sherlock sense that she's basically an OK (or at least not evil) person.  They do that about each other - there's no questioning or looking for evidence.   I'm thinking of when Sherlock returns after being dead - John is not at all concerned about what he was doing during those two years away, whether he was saving the world or not - it's purely about his relationship with Sherlock and Sherlock deceiving him personally.  So I can believe that John's forgiveness of Mary is purely about that - about her deception of him, and not about her past. 

May 1, 2016 7:44 am  #3403

But he makes it clear that the past is her business..

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

May 1, 2016 7:49 am  #3404

Exactly. 

May 1, 2016 9:41 am  #3405

Only what does it mean: That SHE has to pay for it?

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

May 1, 2016 9:42 am  #3406

Harriet wrote:

Only what does it mean: That SHE has to pay for it?

Good point.

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

May 1, 2016 9:48 am  #3407

Sorry, I've lost track here.
Who says; SHE has to pay for it?
If that means Mary's past may catch up with her, then yes.

May 1, 2016 9:53 am  #3408

"The problems of your past are your business. The problems of your future are my privilege."
So if her past comes back onto her.... Not his business.

I find this an interesting thought.

Last edited by Mattlocked (May 1, 2016 9:54 am)

May 1, 2016 9:56 am  #3409

And he implies she will be in trouble in the future, too.

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

May 1, 2016 9:56 am  #3410

I have never looked at it like that but now that you are mentioning it … interesting. It could mean that he does not care for her past actions but also that he does not take any responsibility for it. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

May 1, 2016 10:05 am  #3411

Oh I see, so nobody actually says: SHE has to pay for it.

May 1, 2016 10:09 am  #3412

Who else, if not John?

May 1, 2016 10:10 am  #3413

But he hasn't said this.

May 1, 2016 10:13 am  #3414

Mattlocked wrote:

"The problems of your past are your business. The problems of your future are my privilege."
So if her past comes back onto her.... Not his business.

I find this an interesting thought.

But he could have meant it.
I think, we have discussions here, right?

More important: Why is her past not his business, if he loves her so much?

May 1, 2016 10:27 am  #3415

I think it's because he doesn't approve of her past. So he wants nothing to do with it - as long as it doesn't interfere with their present life.

I don't think just because he loves her, he has to approve. He could be supportive, yes, being there for her. But he doesn't want to fight her fights, that's how I understood the sentence.

As for the future - I think he says he will help her with anything that catches up with her, as long as it has to do with her getting rid of her past and having a new life.
edit: no, actually I'm not sure he says that. Because that's rather been Sherlock's part, hasn't it?

I think he wants to make it clear that he wants nothing to do with the assassin Mary. I find that very obvious when he gets so angry during "the talk" in Baker Street. He is okay though with the Mary he fell in love with. And, whatever Sherlock says about John's addiction to danger, I doubt he would have fallen for her, or proposed to her, if Mary had been open and honest about her past. What do you think?

Last edited by Whisky (May 1, 2016 10:41 am)

"It is what it is."

May 1, 2016 10:45 am  #3416

If it's taken at face value (assuming it isn't part of a plot by John and Sherlock, etc., etc.) it really does mean that John feels it's not his business.  I think he knows it might be hard to accept, and that may be why he destroys the memory stick.  Possibly, he has decided he wants to stay with her and doesn't want to make that any more difficult for himself by giving himself extra difficult information to come to terms with.  But "not my business" is recognition of the fact that things she did before they met weren't to do with him (whereas deceiving him was - that's what he forgives, I think.  I know she shot Sherlock too, but that's not really what John gets angry about at 221B - it's not what he takes personally).

But yes, the "problems of the future" definitely suggest that he knows it's not over for her.  It's a red flag that it's not going to be OK from now on, and John suspects that.  Something is going to happen involving Mary, one way or another.  "My privilege" is very forgiving, though.  It seems to mean that he feels lucky to be the one with her, helping her deal with those future problems.   I can definitely see why some people see it as romantic (the only reason I can't quite get there myself is because I feel Mary is still a bit of a mystery to me, even if she isn't to John, and because S4 is such an unknown.   Maybe it will feel more romantic in retrospect). 

I think my gut feeling is that this is genuine on his part.  (I can see a little bit of a parallel with John's attitude to Sherlock after the fall - where it's the personal aspect that really bothers John, his fury at the deception and the pain it caused him, and his forgiveness of that later)

Last edited by Liberty (May 1, 2016 10:51 am)

May 1, 2016 1:38 pm  #3417

I agree with you Liberty. I also feel that that the forgiveness is genuine on John's part. It just does not seem to fit his personality to hind behind some kind of mask, that kind of stuff is for Sherlock and Mycroft. I think John is very upfront with his feelings. If he is angry, he will show it, If he forgives someone, he will do it wholeheartedly, even if he does not forget about the hurt caused (see his forgiveness for Sherlock). For some reason John does not seem to care about the damage done to Sherlock, that seems to be between Mary and Sherlock for him (and for reasons I have stated before, I can find I can believe that Sherlock would forgive her). So for him, is is solely the lying part that concerns him and I can see him forgive that, too.

I think the problems of the past/problems of the future means that he does not want to have anything to do with AGRA (hence literally burning her past), but as long as she is satisfied with truly leaving that part of her life behind, he will protect Mary Watson.

****************************************************************************************************************************************
We balance probabilities and choose the most likely. It is the scientific use of the imagination.    

May 1, 2016 1:45 pm  #3418

RE: John is ok with the Mary he fell in love with.
This bothers me a lot because for all he knows, the Mary he fell in love with is a complete fiction!  He has know way of knowing what was honest and what was an act.  He fell in love with a lie.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

May 1, 2016 3:09 pm  #3419

Depends what he fell in love with and it could have been a whole combination of things.
But unless he's lying, John seems to have forgiven Mary and is prepared to move on.

May 1, 2016 3:29 pm  #3420

He's seen much more of her than we have, and I suppose he could have fallen for elements of her personality that still persist despite her background being different.  He did kind of fall in love with a lie, but it's not as if he fell for her because she was a nurse, because she was British, etc.  If she'd been, say, an agent working for Mycroft, he'd probably have fallen for her just as much.  He says "she wasn't supposed to be like that", but that seems to have been a conscious choice, rather than than a gut thing - he tried to choose something more mundane, but it wasn't her mundane-ness itself that attracted him and what he loved about her.

I do wonder about what she told him about her background and childhood - did she make things up completely, or twist the truth (e.g. tell childhood stories but change the location, etc)?   I suppose it's possible that they just didn't talk much about their pasts.

Board footera