BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 15, 2016 3:25 pm  #21

Re: The night manager.

Just going to put this out there... this series was AMAZING!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

April 15, 2016 4:09 pm  #22

It was.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

April 25, 2016 6:04 am  #23

The BluRay finally arrived last week and yesterday we watched the first four episodes. I think it's great. And once again I think that I should start reading John le Carré, because the various adaptations I've seen so far have always been pretty brilliant - and I'm sure this has to do with the novels they're based on.
As for TNM, Hugh Laurie is really giving me the creeps. He is fantastic in this role. There is that certain menacing atmosphere about him which makes you think that his mood can change from one second to the next. I wouldn't wanna be in one room with him, that's for sure.
The rest of the cast is wonderful, too. I can't wait to see more of Olivia, and Hiddles, well... it's interesting how his character develops from an innocent bystander to someone who couldn't be involved more. I'm not sure yet that I'm fully bying this development, it felt to me as if one or two steps where missing.
So, can't wait to watch the last four episodes tonight. 

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

April 25, 2016 6:10 am  #24

The series is apparently quite different form the book.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

April 25, 2016 7:43 am  #25

Olivia Coleman's character isn't pregnant in the book, apparently.  Or a woman! 

I haven't read any of his books either ... I suspect I'd get lost with them.   Much easier to follow on the screen. 

I agree that Pine was a bit of an enigma.  I found that a bit frustrating while watching actually - I didn't always feel that I was completely there with him, and was wondering who he was and questioning his motivations.   I suppose it's just the whole spy thing, in that you're watching somebody being essentially deceitful, lying about who they are and their motivations for almost all the time they're on screen.  Great casting, though, and a great cast in general. 

April 25, 2016 7:48 am  #26

Liberty wrote:

I agree that Pine was a bit of an enigma.  I found that a bit frustrating while watching actually - I didn't always feel that I was completely there with him, and was wondering who he was and questioning his motivations.   I suppose it's just the whole spy thing, in that you're watching somebody being essentially deceitful, lying about who they are and their motivations for almost all the time they're on screen.

True. It feels as if he stumbles into this whole thing and then again it feels as if there were more to him than meets the eye. Is he really just a guy working night shifts in a hotel? Or is there more to it? That's what I'm asking myself right now, but at this point I guess that's a good thing because it kind of keeps me at the edge of my seat. 

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant

April 26, 2016 6:50 am  #27

Finally let myself look in this thread, even though I haven't seen much yet.  I remember the buzz from you guys when it first came out, and the talk of Laurie and Hiddleston definitely caught attention, as well as the fact that it was another John le Carre piece (since he seemed to be increasingly popular in adaptations, despite only knowing TTSS thanks to Ben and never reading him or getting hugely into that genre). 

Then forgot about it… until was watching usual Tuesday night tv shows last week with my dad, and we had seen an ad earlier that night for the showing of it on AMC, so when the time came, he asked if wanted to check it out.  Sure!  So apparently AMC was now able to show the whole thing over here, so we watched the first part and was…. curiously impressed.  Typical le Carre spy suspense, but I liked the premise, acting, and all the familiar faces, although think need to get in a bit further to really feel caught into it.  It's like some of you already commented… I wasn't sure how innocent Pine was, or to believe that he would just instantly jump into this (and with the woman)?  Finally being told he was a soldier helped some motivations, but still wonder.  Need to watch the next one with when we get together tomorrow, to see….  I'm sure I'm in for some twist...

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

April 26, 2016 7:22 am  #28

We finished watching it yesterday, and apart from the fact that I would have liked the ending to at least have a tiny shade of darkness (because it felt a bit too happy to me...) I am absolutely impressed. The last two episodes especially were full of suspense, I couldn't wait to see what would happen next. It really was a fine piece of television entertainment, very clever, great writing, great characters. I still think that at times Pine came across a bit too hard-boiled, after all he wasn't an experienced spy. But I guess he was, at least to some degree, driven by revenge, which might explain why he was able to just carry on and on and on. 

July 14, 2016 6:47 pm  #29

Both Hiddles and Hugh Laurie are nominated for an Emmy, in different categories. But Hiddles in the same as CumberBen.

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

August 30, 2016 12:06 pm  #30

The first film was showing in German TV yesterday. I quite liked it and can't wait to see the rest of it. It is airing on ZDF the next two Mondays (22:15) for anyone who is interested.

- - -

Breathing is boring!

English isn't my first language, feel free to correct me via PM!

January 9, 2017 5:52 pm  #31

Tom Hiddleston, Hugh Laurie and Olivia Colman all got a Golden Globe yesterday! 

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

January 9, 2017 6:04 pm  #32

Yes, yes and YES!

January 9, 2017 10:51 pm  #33

I was quite excited when I saw Tom Hiddleston and Hugh Laurie won (those were the only two I saw, as I went to bed before 10:00 because I had to be up early this morning).  Considering the competition, even though they were very good, I was pleasantly surprised to see they had won.

Clueing for looks.

January 10, 2017 6:55 am  #34

I was pleased for Olivia, too!

Board footera