BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 9, 2016 11:05 am  #1

Theory: Sherlock did not jumped from the roof top

That’s my theory:
The taxi driver, Emelia Ricoletti and how I assume Moriarty had one thing in common: They are willing to die for a higher matter. The taxi driver gets money for his children, Emilia Ricoletti dies for the club in order to they can kill evil men and Moriarty … well I am not sure, but he certainly had good reasons. Perhaps he has the same reason like Emilia with the difference his organization will doing criminal things on behalf of him.
[list=1]
[*]We see Sherlock at the border on the roof top calling to John
[*]He said to John that he have to turn around. At this time we and John didn’t see what Sherlock is doing meanwhile.
[*]From then on we see Sherlock either as a Close-up or from the perspective of John
[*]We did not see Sherlock as a whole at the border of the rooftop and we can’t recognize him from the view of John until he jumped.
[/list]
So what could happened: Mycroft or Sherlock found a men who is willing to die for the British government or money (because of illness or something similar) and at Point 2 he switched with Sherlock. This men pretend to phone with John, Sherlock stands behind him and actual talked with John. John had to believe that it was Sherlock, he did not see him at detail but he heard his voice.
After the Sherlock look-alike jumped from the building, Watson gets knocked-out by the cyclist. So Sherlock had enough time to switch with him again on the ground.

But there is something in my theory what is bothering me:
Shortly before he hit on the ground the man rotate about 90 degree. And certainly the truck which was driving away had an important function. How in an other post noticed, no one drives away shortly after a body hit on the ground beside him.

April 9, 2016 1:53 pm  #2

Re: Theory: Sherlock did not jumped from the roof top

Very interesting and original theory. It´s true that soembody terminally ill could suicide in this strange manner if promised a large sum of money to his family by Mycroft for example.
It would also remove the problem of Sherlock´s surviving such a dangerous fall unscathed.
Still, it would also make Mycroft rather callous - and remove Sherlock´self-sacrificing dilemma out of the way. So I still hope this is not the right solution, albeit it sounds convincing.

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

April 14, 2016 7:56 pm  #3

--- Update ---
There are several points which allows me the conclusion that Moriarty or the persons behind Moriarty wanted Sherlock alive. e.g. I cant remember any scene in which they seriously wanted to kill him although they had enough opportunities to do that.
This brought me to the idea, that Moriarty maybe never wanted Sherlocks death and that all was planned for the public only. This would explain why Sherlock did the show superficially for John because he need not convince Moriarty. And It would explain why the people who we think they are part of the homeless network not realy look like homeless people. An the man who jumps for Sherlock could be another suicide assasin from Moriarty. But that all raises further questions and I don't belive that it is the solution.

April 18, 2016 6:25 pm  #4

Ok, listen. I noticed something suspicious about the fall. Could be continuity error or a clue. A clue to what? I don't really know, but a clue that the falling body we see is not Sherlock's body.
Here is why:
In the Reichenbach Fall we see, that the falling body has some white shirt underneath. Look near his belt.

But you can see Sherlock lying on the pavement here and no white shirt is visible.

And not a trace of white even here in this picture showing Ben doing his stunt.

But Moriarty on the rooftop is wearing a white shirt... that's odd. So maybe in the end it was really Moriarty falling down the rooftop. But if it was, he must have been alive then, because of his arm and leg movements.
Whatever this means, but I don't hink this is a continuity mistake.

- - -

Breathing is boring!

English isn't my first language, feel free to correct me via PM!

April 18, 2016 7:17 pm  #5

Yes, It could be a clue or just Benedict Cumberbatchs Stuntman :-D Who ever jumps I think there are two bodies involved because the body rotated about 90 degree shortly before hitting the ground. And Moriarty looked very dead after he shot himself in the face, so I don't think he is alive too. But I can also imagine that a part of the roof top scene happened under the influence of several drugs.

April 18, 2016 7:19 pm  #6

You think so?
Is that what Sherlock was doing while John was asleep?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

April 18, 2016 7:25 pm  #7

Oh, and it seems I'm not the first to have noticed this. As I was searching for pictures, I found this from 2012:
http://sherlockmeta.tumblr.com/post/17496533078/sherlock-is-wearing-a-purple-shirt-on-the-roof

This fandom is incredible, impossilbe to find something new. :D
So, it could have to do with the stunt, but maybe there is more to it and we'll learn in s04. Hopefully. :D

- - -

Breathing is boring!

English isn't my first language, feel free to correct me via PM!

April 18, 2016 9:20 pm  #8

Rache wrote:

Oh, and it seems I'm not the first to have noticed this. As I was searching for pictures, I found this from 2012:
http://sherlockmeta.tumblr.com/post/17496533078/sherlock-is-wearing-a-purple-shirt-on-the-roof

This fandom is incredible, impossilbe to find something new. :D
So, it could have to do with the stunt, but maybe there is more to it and we'll learn in s04. Hopefully. :D

I hope so :-D But until then we still have enough time to make curious theories and this also makes a lot of fun!

April 18, 2016 9:27 pm  #9

besleybean wrote:

You think so?
Is that what Sherlock was doing while John was asleep?

Sorry, I dont understand what you mean. Do you mean that Sherlock set John under drugs while he was knocked out from the cyclist?

April 19, 2016 5:33 am  #10

Oh I see, sorry, I thought you meant Sherlock was on drugs...
But we as an audience, are shown Sherlock jumping and he says he jumped...why would he even lie about this?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

April 27, 2016 11:15 pm  #11

Ah, now I know what you mean with "while John was asleep". I forgot this scene already, but at that time it was a good oppurtunity for Sherlock to set Watson on drugs. There were several moments I thought that drugs were part of the game

E.g. I thought that Sherlock used the h.o.u.n.d - drug for Watson so that he only believed that Sherlock is jumping. I don't know if this make any sense because this would mean, that Watson was the only person he need to convince.

In the roof top scene I had a few times the suspicion that it is partially a drug fantasy, because Moriarty didn't took great care to hide himself. I think this make a suicide more implausible if anyone saw him shortly before Sherlock would jumped from the rooftop.So why Moriarty should risk it.

And then I note something else: After the court hearing John was very exited at the phone and said to Sherlock that Moriarty could now threaten him. But after then I think John was calmed in a strange way: E.g. as he was with Mycroft and they talked about the killer in the neighbourhood it seemed that he loughed at him and didn't worry anymore.

Beside this I noticed something else in the rooftop scene: The buildings in the background changed a few times as Sherlock phoned with John. It seemed to me that there are two scenes which alternate.

Last edited by Danielle80 (April 27, 2016 11:19 pm)

Board footera