BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 2, 2016 2:33 pm  #501

Re: Hamlet at the Barbican - contains spoilers about the production

That's so awesome!

Clueing for looks.

April 3, 2016 1:02 am  #502

http://www.officiallondontheatre.co.uk/news/backstage-pass/gallery/article/item358322/exclusive-olivier-nominated-set-designs/

Es Devlin, set designer for Hamlet, shares the inspiration behind the set which has earned her a place in this year’s Best Set Design category of the Olivier Awards. There are a few photos of the design model. (Other nominees are also featured in the article.)

It looked stunning on the screen, I can only imagine the impact it made on a live audience!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

April 3, 2016 7:55 am  #503

It was fantastic live!  My only gripe was that I felt the set and action extended a little too far to the sides, so people at the sides of the theatre (particularly the left, where a lot of the action was) had a restricted view.   That's fine when the tickets are sold as restricted view, but no indication was given that these were restricted.  And by "restricted", I don't mean an awkward view, but that in parts of the production a large portion of the audience would not be able to see the actors at all (there were entire scenes on the balcony which many people wouldn't have been able to see).  I personally (as a casual theatre goer), think this was a design flaw.  Either the set should have been changed to fit the stage/audience (ideally!  Presumably designers usually do have to work with what they're given), or if that wasn't possible, or it was felt extending the set so far was crucial to the presentation, then I do think the restricted view seats should have been sold as such (cheaper and with a warning!).  

Last edited by Liberty (April 3, 2016 8:03 am)

April 3, 2016 10:39 am  #504

I do agree with you, Liberty. I had a 'bad' seat for that and I tried to turn and crane really awkwardly to try to see the balcony scenes... that was a bit annoying I have to admit.

But the stage was beautiful though. It had its own life in a way!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

April 18, 2016 7:35 am  #505

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

April 18, 2016 11:15 am  #506

Oh no! I'm sorry for her family and friends! 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

April 18, 2016 11:30 am  #507

Oh no! I'm sorry to hear that :'(

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'd be lost without my blogger.
"It’s not a ‘gang’ show, it’s the Sherlock and John show. It’s about developing their characters and their relationship, and the characters drawn into their orbit.”  Steven Moffat

April 18, 2016 12:06 pm  #508

That's really sad.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

April 18, 2016 12:23 pm  #509

Yes, I agree. And how admirable that she did manage to do all those performances not a year ago. Good to see all the love and compassion. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

April 18, 2016 3:55 pm  #510

Wow, so she kept that rigorous schedule while being ill?
Amazing.
A sad loss.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

April 18, 2016 4:01 pm  #511

I think she was diagnosed in 2011. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

April 18, 2016 4:05 pm  #512

Bless her.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

April 18, 2016 7:06 pm  #513

Sad to hear, but nice to know she managed to give performances in a great production before she had to go.

Clueing for looks.

June 6, 2016 12:14 pm  #514

ukaunz wrote:

It's okay, I think I've found somewhere else I can get it. There's actually 2 copies at this site. If anyone wants to know where, pm me
One of the copies I found was 37GB! The one I'm downloading is over 8GB so it's still taking a while, hopefully I will be able to watch it today!

Edit: Well, it took about 3 hours to download, but it was worth it! Beautiful picture quality, and it includes the extra footage of Benedict's South Bank interview.
I used a torrent site, if anyone still wants the details, pm me.

Hi, I want the details. can you give me the link plz.

June 8, 2016 12:34 am  #515

You were supposed to pm me
I've sent you the link.

Last edited by ukaunz (June 8, 2016 12:35 am)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Board footera