BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 20, 2012 11:11 am  #1

The Big Issue

OMG, can anyone across the Channel get me one? One copy, I mean? 

http://www.bigissue.com/mix/latest-issue/1328/issue-1014/page/5/0

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

August 20, 2012 12:36 pm  #2

Re: The Big Issue

Susi, I thought you meant you wanted a Cumberbatch. LOL

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FREE PUSSY RIOT

I wish the real world would just stop hassling me - Rob Thomas

Did I mention that I have a Kindle?

#destroythejoint

August 20, 2012 12:44 pm  #3

I thought it might be misunderstood, hence the second sentence. Although for the life of me I don't know how I should have created such an impression.

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

August 20, 2012 4:12 pm  #4

SusiGo wrote:

OMG, can anyone across the Channel get me one? One copy, I mean? 

http://www.bigissue.com/mix/latest-issue/1328/issue-1014/page/5/0

Or maybe two? I would also take the "original"... 

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

August 20, 2012 8:32 pm  #5

This is the only place I've been able to find readable scans. PocketBenedict's mum to the rescue. Scroll down a bit then click on the cover. Be careful where you put the cursor or he won't be having any of these imaginary children. 

http://smthngred.tumblr.com/

Some interesting quotes but some seem to have been recycled from other interview, e.g. the "fucking fantastic lover" quote, as if we ever doubted it. 

Last edited by hepzibah (August 20, 2012 8:35 pm)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FREE PUSSY RIOT

I wish the real world would just stop hassling me - Rob Thomas

Did I mention that I have a Kindle?

#destroythejoint

August 21, 2012 7:03 am  #6

Part of the interview must to be older as they did it on set in Belgium. He seems more relaxed than in his more recent interviews in which he stresses the superior quality of Parade's End compared to Downton Abbey (which I don't doubt). But that might be part of the promotion, too. I like the interview as a whole and I was very careful with my cursor  .

August 21, 2012 9:19 am  #7

A conscious decision on his part to do such a big interview with The Big Issue. This organisation needs people like him to help boost their circulation figures, income and awareness of their Big Issue. This is a reflection of Benedict's own awareness of social problems in our society.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

August 21, 2012 9:25 am  #8

I like that very much about him. There was also the charity reading of children's stories from Africa (sorry, can't remember the exact title) and other occasions in which he participated. And this also fits with his being very aware of having had a very privileged upbringing and being able to change things because or raise awareness about social issues thanks to his growing fame.

August 21, 2012 11:55 pm  #9

Davina wrote:

reflection of Benedict's own awareness of social problems in our society

It was the interview at the union rally that made me interested in Benedict the actor and not just Sherlock the role...

August 22, 2012 1:00 am  #10

I like this interview very much. I agree with ya'll  that he wisely takes an advantage of being heard by so many people now. He is aware of the fact that he can influence people's minds and his every word counts.

Moreover I was completely overwhelmed with the phrase "I'm building a home... It would be nice to fill it with love, life and children". Especially the choice of words... he said home  , not house. So little difference in words, but so huge difference in meaning  .

Last edited by 221B Baker Street (August 22, 2012 1:02 am)

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Sherlock: "I need to get some air, we're going out tonight."
John: "Actually, I've uh, got a date."
Sherlock: "What?"
John: "It's where two people who like each other go out and have fun."
Sherlock: "That's what I was suggesting."

August 22, 2012 6:40 am  #11

He also contradicted himself by making it clear he has no ties whatsoever in the moment, and would thus be free to go wherever he wanted.. I reckon they pushed the 'detective looking for a wife' angle a bit to get the fan girls to buy the Big Issue. I am all for that strategy, just saying!

Board footera