BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 13, 2012 6:04 am  #101

Re: Discussions on the John and Sherlock relationship

kazza474 wrote:

KeepersPrice wrote:

So we know that in Afghanistan when John thought he was dying he asked God to save him.

He was wounded by a bullet, in his shoulder.I'd say more probable that he was referring to the dying soldiers he encountered on a regular basis. That would give him more of a broad idea as to what one would say in such a situation.There's nothing to suggest that John ever thought he was really dying.

I took that line in the show quite literally, that he knew exactly what he'd say, if he thought he were dying, because he'd had occasion to do just that. I didn't see it as him seeing it in the abstract, just from witnessing others praying for life in a desperate situation. The writers never really explained how badly injured John was when he was sent home, but even if not life-threatening, I imagine the pain and shock of the injury would have made even the most stoic of men wonder if that kind of pain was incompatible with life!

This is neither here not there, but I can remember during my last labor and delivery lying there in that bed and wondering if the pain would kill me. It went on for *hours*, and I seriously wondered if I was dying. And that was just childbirth! Imagine what it would be like in battle, with people screaming and dying all around you, and to suddenly find yourself one of them. So anyway, I took John's statement there quite literally, that it was he himself who asked to live.

July 13, 2012 6:19 am  #102

A doctor looking after a dying soldier is not abstract. He was there, he heard what they said. He was moved by those experiences & has spoken about them.

His injury was a bullet wound to the shoulder. I doubt he would have believed it was going to kill him. He'd seen a lot of soldiers dying; that would stick in his memory and as I said, would give him his own kind of 'poll' as to what people in that situation would say.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

July 13, 2012 6:27 am  #103

I tend to think it's a mixture of both. Perhaps, after he was initially shot he may have thought, 'Don't let me die' and also having treated soldiers who were dying from their wounds, some of whom may have been close comrades and listening to their dying words. Whatever the case he doesn't need to imagine this situation, he has been there.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

July 13, 2012 6:30 am  #104

Davina wrote:

I tend to think it's a mixture of both. Perhaps, after he was initially shot he may have thought, 'Don't let me die' and also having treated soldiers who were dying from their wounds, some of whom may have been close comrades and listening to their dying words. Whatever the case he doesn't need to imagine this situation, he has been there.

That's for sure; I've just never imagined he would have been in that situation himself.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

July 13, 2012 6:40 am  #105

kazza474 wrote:

A doctor looking after a dying soldier is not abstract. He was there, he heard what they said. He was moved by those experiences & has spoken about them.His injury was a bullet wound to the shoulder. I doubt he would have believed it was going to kill him. He'd seen a lot of soldiers dying; that would stick in his memory and as I said, would give him his own kind of 'poll' as to what people in that situation would say.

A bullet wound to the shoulder made him limp and use a cane?  So the limp was totally 100% psychosomatic? How weird. I guess I never understood that, but that would explain how he was able to abandon the cane and race all over London with SH in ASiP.  I've only watched ASiP about 12 times.... maybe #13 will get through to me.

July 13, 2012 6:56 am  #106

At the end of the show; after speaking with Mycroft:

JW: So, dim sum. Mmm!
SH: I can always predict the fortune cookies.
JW: No, you can't.
SH: Almost can. You did get shot, though.
JW: Sorry?
SH: In Afghanistan. There was an actual wound.
JW: Oh. Yeah, shoulder.
SH: Shoulder! I thought so.
JW: No, you didn't.
SH: The left one.

JW: Lucky guess.
SH: I never guess.

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

July 13, 2012 7:04 am  #107

kazza474 wrote:

At the end of the show; after speaking with Mycroft:

JW: So, dim sum. Mmm!
SH: I can always predict the fortune cookies.
JW: No, you can't.
SH: Almost can. You did get shot, though.
JW: Sorry?
SH: In Afghanistan. There was an actual wound.
JW: Oh. Yeah, shoulder.
SH: Shoulder! I thought so.
JW: No, you didn't.
SH: The left one.

JW: Lucky guess.
SH: I never guess.

Tell me you don't have that memorized.

You know, they say a picture is worth 1000 words. When I saw the limping with the cane, even though I knew "psychosomatic", my poor inadequate brain supplied "leg or hip wound", in addition to the shoulder wound they talked about. I just figured the psychosomatic thing was making the leg wound feel worse than it should, not that it was entirely in his head. Duh.

July 13, 2012 12:18 pm  #108

Actually, the shoulder/leg wound business is a complete nod to the canon since ACD starts off "A Study in Scarlet" by saying John Watson took a bullet in the leg.  Later in the stories (can't remember which) he says it was a shoulder wound.  Moftiss did a nice and humorous job playing with that mistake.  Similar to the the Mrs. Hudson/Mrs. Turner mistake.

I'm in agreement with Ancienstgate that when Sherlock asked him that question in aSiP, John's answer was from his own personal experience.  I'm not sure why. It might have been because of the camera angle on his face, or the way Martin Freeman played it, but it just felt so damn personal when he responded to Sherlock. And Sherlock knew it immediately and backed off.  As always - it's a matter of interpretation.  And one last thing.  We can't actually be sure that "Please God, let me live" occurred when John was shot in the shoulder. He could have been in some kind of hopeless, ambush situation where the outcome looked completely hopeless.  Or a combination of both - shot and trapped with seemingly no way out.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

July 13, 2012 1:55 pm  #109

Oh dear Kazza - please don't take this the wrong way because I mean this in a completely teasing, non-serious way, but when I saw that you were in the John and Sherlock relationship thread last night, my first thought was, "Anderson!  What are you doing here!" 

Of course, you can be on any thread, anytime, anywhere (after all you are a monitor) - it's just that I never expected to see you on such a Johnlocky thread.  It was a total surprise. 

Okay, digging myself in deeper now....have a good day my down-under friend 

August 21, 2012 1:33 am  #110

A line in the script I wish I could rewrite:

ASiB.  The scene in which Sherlock is composing (or decomposing, depending on your point of view).  John and Mrs. H. are concerned about his emotional state.

John:  Listen.....has he ever had any kind of...girlfriend, boyfriend....a relationship - ever?
Mrs. H:  I don't know.

My rewrite:

John:  Listen.....has he ever had any kind of...girlfriend, boyfriend....a relationship - ever?
Mrs. H: I think just you, dear.

August 21, 2012 1:42 am  #111

KeepersPrice wrote:

My rewrite:

I love how you think. If those writers only knew how much good help we fans could give them, if they'd just ask!

August 21, 2012 3:52 am  #112

KeepersPrice wrote:

ASiB.  The scene in which Sherlock is composing (or decomposing, depending on your point of view).  John and Mrs. H. are concerned about his emotional state.

Mrs. H:  I don't know.

My rewrite:

I would even go as far as:
John: ...and you, Mrs Hudson... Look at us both.

John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

August 21, 2012 5:10 am  #113

Davina wrote:

I also always took "Please God, let me live" quote to be referring to a personal experience. One explanation is that there was an explosion- grenade, perhaps- which shocked John and led him to believe he was dying. He was wounded in a shoulder but felt it in a leg, as well, as it was an overall shock to the system. That would explain John being discharged, as well- he had not a clean shoulder wound, but  a very traumatic experience requiring a long recovery, physical and mental.
Also corresponds to the Canon-  Watson, at the beginning of the stories, says his physical health and his nerves are quite destroyed ( though there, as far as i remember, he had a prolonged illness after he was wounded)

August 21, 2012 5:49 am  #114

John was definitely shot. He tells Mike that when he meets him in the park in ASiP. Mike says that he heard that he was in the Army being shot at and asks what happened. To which John replies, 'Got shot'.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

August 26, 2012 10:35 am  #115

ACD Study in Scarlet -  I was struck on the shoulder by a Jezail bullet, which shattered the bone and grazed the subclavian artery...I was struck down by enteric fever, ... For months my life was despaired of, ...my health irretrievably ruined,

John looked for accommodation saying  “If I am to lodge with anyone, I should prefer a man of studious and quiet habits. I am not strong enough yet to stand much noise or excitement. I had enough of both in Afghanistan to last me for the remainder of my natural existence."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We solve crimes, I blog about it and he forgets his pants, so I wouldn’t hold out too much hope. (Scandal in Belgravia)

I asked you for one more miracle. I asked you to stop being dead..........I heard you.(The Empty Hearse)

August 27, 2012 8:30 pm  #116

The John and Sherlock relationship thread has been a little too quiet lately - so it's time to spice it up a bit. . Normally, I guess a video like this should go in the Favorite Video Topic - but this one is special and I feel like it belongs here.  It's special because the singer is Martin Freeman himself! I don't know the song or where this came from but the words are 'bubble-gum' cute and the video is so Johnlocky it just has to be shared.  Hey, when the singer is the man himself, it has to be true, right? 

Thanks to Ancientsgate for sending this to me.

Martin singing a Johnlock video

August 28, 2012 3:01 am  #117

Davina wrote:

The bond between John and Sherlock is likely to be a unique case for Sherlock but may ell not be quinquennial for John. The incredibly strong bonds between men, which are certainly not necessarily sexual, can be seen in the armed forces. The armed forces of which John until recently was a member. Not just a member sitting behind a desk in an office somewhere away from a war zone but a combatant. A combatant who would undoubtedly have had comrades he was very, very close to. After all, that is the motivation that soldiers fight for, the protection of their close comrades, their buddies. These men love their comrades. (The Spartans took this a step further but that is for another day).

Having been traumatised in action in Afghanistan and now out of the army environment John is actually missing the action that being in the Army gave him. I would contend that it is not just the military action he misses but also everything else that entails, especially the close bond with a comrade/s. Meeting Sherlock, with all his foibles, allows John back into a world of 'combat' albeit of a different kind and also provides him with a comrade, a buddy, someone to watch his back and someone he can help protect too. Very like serving in the Army, really.

Exactly so. Soldiers who have been on the battleline will tell you that they are/were closer to their fellow soldiers than to their brothers/sibling, and in some respects, their spouse. The link with Sherlock not only brought Watson 'back into combat', but also gave him some relief from the PTSD he was obviously suffering from. I hate to think what kind of emotional state Watson would have been in after seeing his closest friend commit suicide in such a horrible manner right in front of him. I can't help but think the writers would be spot-on if they have Watson dealing with severe PTSD symptoms (in EP 1 Season 3)

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
"I killed people"   "You're a Doctor!"    "I had bad days..."

August 28, 2012 3:37 am  #118

HoosierPhD wrote:

Soldiers who have been on the battleline will tell you that they are/were closer to their fellow soldiers than to their brothers/sibling, and in some respects, their spouse. The link with Sherlock not only brought Watson 'back into combat', but also gave him some relief from the PTSD he was obviously suffering from. I hate to think what kind of emotional state Watson would have been in after seeing his closest friend commit suicide in such a horrible manner right in front of him. I can't help but think the writers would be spot-on if they have Watson dealing with severe PTSD symptoms (in EP 1 Season 3)

I, like everyone else, can't wait to see what  episode 3.1 brings us. I'm sure the writers and showrunners know how invested a lot of fans are in the Sherlock storyline, characters, etc, so I imagine they'll do their best to make it good!

John has been well and truly traumatized in his Army past. And now added to all that, this thing with Sherlock taking a nosedive right in front of him, all the blood, the staring eyes, the austere black gravestone with his name on it, etc-- not to mention having to go to that psychologist, where John's been expected to bare his soul, the last thing he wants to do. He's been angry, sad, in mourning, and yet stupidly hopeful all this time (please, there's just one more thing... one more miracle, Sherlock, for me. Don't. Be. Dead. Would you do that, just for me? Just stop it. Stop this…). When John gets a gander of his supposedly dead friend in the flesh, well-- I fully expect some kind of fireworks, and I absolutely think John deserves to do and say whatever he needs to, for his own sake and sanity. Sherlock's been a stroppy bastard (as the Brits would say) ever since John met him, but really--  making John witness his demise, standing aside and watching while John came to the cemetery to mourn him, letting so much time go by while John thinks him dead and gone? Poor John--  I hope the writers let him do something dramatic-- rub soap in Sherlock's eyes, punch him in the face, knock him down, kiss him senseless, all of the above, I don't care--- something!

Last edited by ancientsgate (August 28, 2012 3:38 am)

August 28, 2012 9:33 am  #119

I'm new here and have just spent a fair portion of time reading this entire thread through. So glad to have a place where I can read and chat about all things Johnlock! At this stage I haven't got anything remarkable to say that hasn't already been said, but I wanted to register my appreciation of how eloquently some of the previous posts have summed up my feelings towards John and Sherlock's relationship.

I too am desperately looking forward to seeing the reunion in 3.1.. like one of the writers (I can't remember which one) recently said in an interview, I agree it would be quite in-character for John to let loose with a big stream of swears or something. But the one little thing my fangirly heart desperately yearns for (once John calms down) is a nice, big, juicy, emotion-fueled hug. From both parties, mind, none of this one-sided business. Do you think that's too much to ask for? Lol. I do thrive on the little tiny moments of physical contact between the two, so something like this would make my brain explode in delight. :D

August 28, 2012 9:56 am  #120

Sariele wrote:

I'm new here and have just spent a fair portion of time reading this entire thread through. So glad to have a place where I can read and chat about all things Johnlock! At this stage I haven't got anything remarkable to say that hasn't already been said, but I wanted to register my appreciation of how eloquently some of the previous posts have summed up my feelings towards John and Sherlock's relationship.

I too am desperately looking forward to seeing the reunion in 3.1.. like one of the writers (I can't remember which one) recently said in an interview, I agree it would be quite in-character for John to let loose with a big stream of swears or something. But the one little thing my fangirly heart desperately yearns for (once John calms down) is a nice, big, juicy, emotion-fueled hug. From both parties, mind, none of this one-sided business. Do you think that's too much to ask for? Lol. I do thrive on the little tiny moments of physical contact between the two, so something like this would make my brain explode in delight. :D

Welcome to a fellow Johnlocker! There doesn't seem to be too many of us on the forum, but there are a few dyed-in-the-wool slashers here, for sure. Visit us over on the fanfic topic, where there's a Johnlock thread, if you want.

I would like a hug, too. Sherlock is not huggy, however.  And John is pissed off at him a lot, so.... *grin* But hey, we can hope.

Board footera