BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 19, 2012 1:19 am  #1

A more balanced look at Ben's 'move to USA' comment - Guardian

Seems things are getting all out of shape over there, lol.

.......hampered by the simple Chinese-whisper effect of only having heard that Cumberbatch said something moany about being picked on for being posh.

All sounds like a storm in a teacup. But as usual & to be expected.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

August 19, 2012 1:54 am  #2

Re: A more balanced look at Ben's 'move to USA' comment - Guardian

The whole thing that gets me about this episode is that Ben has for a long time commented on posh bashing and ideas he's had at remedying this. He has also had the worst luck with quips; so really there's no surprise that people are over reacting to this one, lol.
Honestly, many people have unknowingly 'reslotted' him into the 'pretty boy, only half a brain' section since his rise to fame. They've lost sight of the original.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

August 19, 2012 6:39 am  #3

Hm, an intelligent, well thought-out article, quick, shoot the writer down as a fanboy.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FREE PUSSY RIOT

I wish the real world would just stop hassling me - Rob Thomas

Did I mention that I have a Kindle?

#destroythejoint

August 20, 2012 10:07 am  #4

The bashing on the web, especially the ontd LJ is massive. First they just talked about how ugly he is and I thought "well a bunch of 14 year old Justin Bieber fans are for sure not able to see what the real qualities of a man are." Now we have the bashing because of the interviews he gave. Some of his statements are unfortunate, but it's a written interview and you know how it is. He was moaning a bit about the stereotyped thinking, not how bad his life is in general.

Honestly I'd be the same, because I sometimes speak before I think and there's obviously a difference in what you mean/say and how it comes across.

And the worst are those readers who don't get irony or sarcasm, but that's another problem.

He really should think about a publicist or something like that.

It's really hard to be a international star these days.

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

August 20, 2012 10:27 am  #5

Didn't know ONTD until now. Not really my division  . But it's weird that so many people seem to find him ugly. An overreaction to his rise to fame, I guess. Besides, celebrities are only human and may say rash things as everyone sometimes does. On the one hand a publicist might be helpful, on the other hand I always find it quite pompous when every would-be celeb's giving statements speaking via his or her speaker. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

August 20, 2012 11:31 am  #6

I don't think he needs anyone telling him what he should or should not say. For ages now he has openly admitted he says what he likes & then thinks about it later & cringes. But that is who he is & that is who he wants to remain.
I never once believed he actually MEANT he was considering moving to the US, and that is what this article states clearly.  It gave me a good chuckle to see the reaction across the net over this.
Some people will always read/see what they want to read/see without observing the actual words spoken/written.
lol

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

August 20, 2012 11:34 am  #7

SusiGo wrote:

Didn't know ONTD until now. Not really my division  . But it's weird that so many people seem to find him ugly. An overreaction to his rise to fame, I guess. Besides, celebrities are only human and may say rash things as everyone sometimes does. On the one hand a publicist might be helpful, on the other hand I always find it quite pompous when every would-be celeb's giving statements speaking via his or her speaker. 

I was linked there several times, it's fascinating, I think it's perfect for moments when you don't want to use your brain, like the celebrity mags at the hairdresser. But it's better you don't read the comments. Many people there with too much time, must be a lot of teenagers who better should do their homework instead of hanging around the internet.

Haters gonna hate! Exactly, why does he have to be perfect. Yeah I agree publicist sounds a bit pompous.

If I were a celebrity I would proofread every interview and I'd sue everyone in a heartbeat. 

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

August 20, 2012 11:53 am  #8

I like it that he sometimes speaks before thinking or doesn't care what people think about his comments. He doesn't always have to live up to other people's expectations. But I guess it's difficult to find a balance between self and image once you've become a household name.

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

Board footera