BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 24, 2013 12:12 pm  #141

Re: Converting your friends and family members

OneMoreMiracle wrote:

OMG!!! Total success! Just tonight I started watching ASiP with one of my friends, and she loved it so much that we're watching all of them tonight! We're watching THoB right now, and it is 5:02 in the morning!! She is loving it so much, and she ships John and Sherlock together too. Another complete success!!!!! ;)

Woot woot! Awesome!  Time for some celebratory pie! 

I remember the first time I watched ASiP...I was watching with someone, who also hadn't seen any of the BBC Sherlock before like me, and then when ASiP ended...there were a few moments of silence (except for the sounds of the menu music), I was speechless, and then the person I was with turned to me and said "Well come on! Let's watch the next one!". Hehe 

-------------------------------------------------------

August 24, 2013 12:23 pm  #142

SilverMoonDragonB wrote:

OneMoreMiracle wrote:

OMG!!! Total success! Just tonight I started watching ASiP with one of my friends, and she loved it so much that we're watching all of them tonight! We're watching THoB right now, and it is 5:02 in the morning!! She is loving it so much, and she ships John and Sherlock together too. Another complete success!!!!! ;)

Woot woot! Awesome!  Time for some celebratory pie! 

I remember the first time I watched ASiP...I was watching with someone, who also hadn't seen any of the BBC Sherlock before like me, and then when ASiP ended...there were a few moments of silence (except for the sounds of the menu music), I was speechless, and then the person I was with turned to me and said "Well come on! Let's watch the next one!". Hehe 

That's so lucky being able to watch the next episode.  I watched asip on a rerun and was so overwhelmed I couldn't sleep. I went to town the next day and bought the box set. I knew I couldn't wait any longer to see the rest.

He does love to be dramatic.
Well, thank god you're above all that!

August 24, 2013 8:31 pm  #143

SilverMoonDragonB wrote:

tonnaree wrote:

One of my co-workers just finished watching!   Am especially proud because this is a male co-worker who has enjoyed teasing me about my obsession with BC/Sherlock.  He said he only watched the first episode out of curiousity and couldn't believe how good it was.  He also said he has to admit BC is a fantastic actor.

Last night he watced TRF.  When he came in this morning he just walked up to my desk and said "Damn you."      

*high five* 

Update:  My co-worker has now converted his brother!!!!!   Our numbers grow!

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

September 3, 2013 12:38 pm  #144

I tried converting my parents for a long time; it didn't work. They like it but they're not ...obsessed. It was the same with a friend.

But some weeks ago I discovered Cabin Pressure and (of course) absolutely loved it.
So I told (another) friend about CP and was a bit surprised she liked it, because I already thought I never could convert someone. ;)
Being a bit encouraged by this success I told her about Sherlock. ...
Now she has seen the first series and can't wait to see the second one!

...My tiny little contribution to the Sherlock-fandom. ;)

October 16, 2013 4:34 pm  #145

A while ago I gave S1 to a my colleague and neighbour.
He still didn't have time to watch it. But today he told me, his son, sick in bed, watched ep. 1 and 2 on his own and told him it was great! He's 14. 
I told my colleague there is nothing better when you are sick at home....

Last edited by Mattlocked (October 16, 2013 4:34 pm)

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

November 24, 2015 5:50 pm  #146

bump

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

January 22, 2016 10:42 am  #147

I went to my neighbour's this afternoon to collect my kids who were over there playing with their boy, and ended up having a conversation with the father about Sherlock. He watched TEH for the first time (he had watched the first two series when they were last on tv, on my recommendation) and quite enjoyed it. Unfortunately his wife, who I chat with occasionally, hates the show, and says she just wants to slap Sherlock. Anyway, it was great to be able to have a (brief) "real life" discussion with someone about Sherlock, but I had to be really careful not to give away spoilers! He asked me if Moriarty was still alive and I said "I can't tell you!" He also mentioned the scene showing the Houses of Parliament blowing up, saying that at the time he was confused whether it was happening of not. I told him that it was Sherlock imagining what would happen, and that the mind palace would feature strongly in the next couple of episodes and the special. I told him he would have to pay close attention to work out what is real and what is mp - I hope I didn't give anything away!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

January 22, 2016 2:28 pm  #148

No, I think you did a good job of not giving too much away.  You never said anything about what happens in the mind palace, just that it's important.  That's nice you got to talk about it.  Too bad the wife doesn't like it to watch it with him (although I have to admit I chuckled at the comment about wanting to slap Sherlock).

Clueing for looks.

January 22, 2016 9:07 pm  #149

I have failed with my wife but I'm attempting to convert my friend who likes Doctor Who and puzzles.

---------------
It's not really a ship, it's more like a life raft.

January 26, 2016 3:52 pm  #150

and colleagues.
It doesn't work very well with family members, but colleagues, good God it works wonders!
And friends, well...for those I've known for a long time, it does not work -they don't seem to understand the appeal...but the new ones I make already are in the Fandom -and it usually is the reason why we started talking, tbh.

Congrats ukaunz on being able to do a proper summary without giving too much away -and yay, real life discussions about Sherlock- do tell us when he's been through series 3 and STAB

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'd be lost without my blogger.
"It’s not a ‘gang’ show, it’s the Sherlock and John show. It’s about developing their characters and their relationship, and the characters drawn into their orbit.”  Steven Moffat

March 25, 2016 2:24 am  #151

Just today I got my cousin to come over and watch S1. He said he quite enjoyed it. We're doing S2 tomorrow and S3 and the special the day after. It's really entertaining to watch people you know get attached to the same things you do.

I tried to convert my parents, but it wasn't really anything either of them could get into. Oh, well. I guess Sherlock's just not for everyone.

~proud member of OSAJ~

What is Lestrade's division?

March 25, 2016 3:33 pm  #152

I tried to get my wife interested, but she prefers gaming (SWTOR).  I did manage to get our housemate, Mary, to watch with me, but she isn't as addicted as I am.

March 25, 2016 5:47 pm  #153

Yet she has the right name!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

March 25, 2016 6:00 pm  #154

besleybean wrote:

Yet she has the right name!

Indeed!  We also have a super-cute chihuahua named Molly!  Oh, and a gorgeous shepherd mix named Sophie... 

March 25, 2016 6:09 pm  #155

Sweet.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

March 28, 2016 6:14 pm  #156

After seeing a Sherlock/Bletchley Circle mashup on this board and mistakenly thinking all the Bletchley gals were played by Sherlock actresses, I decided to give that show a try.  Despite my initial disappointment in the actual cast, I really enjoyed the first three episodes and have converted the rest of the household!  We watched the first three eps last night!

Board footera